1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RE: MKVExtractGui/ How to burn a high quality dvd with subs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by juiz7, Feb 17, 2010.

1. juiz7

juiz7 Member

----------------------------HELP WANTED ----------------------------

MKVExtractGUi guide

I used this guide to extract the subtitles from my .mkv file and got this TrueType Font File (.TTF).

I want to know how do you burn a .mkv into a high quality dvd
    MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 (i'm not sure if mpeg-4 works on a standard dvd player)

and if possible AC3 audio (which is dolby digital surround sound)

with english subs that look just like/have the same font as the ones in the original .mkv file.

Someone please explain to me because it's been so frustrating trying to figure out how to burn it to a dvd. I'm new at this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, every time I burn the dvd using Windows DVD Maker and play the dvd on my dvd player the sound comes out mono
    when I have a stereo surround sound tv.

The left and right sides cut off like 2 or three letters from the subs so then I have to shrink it on my Toshiba DVD player.

I use mkv2vob to convert and hardsub the videos for now but I want the original font/same subs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. attar

attar Senior member

As far as converting an MKV file to a DVD disk format that would be playable on a standalone DVD player, you can probably use FAVC or DVD Flick.
    The problem is with the subtitles.
    Your subtitles sound like they are .ass or .ssa format and these formats might be a problem (AFAIK, DVD Flick lists them as usable, but FAVC doesn't) - but you would have to test them to be sure.

The only sure way of getting a particular font and colour in a subtitle (assuming the font is installed on your PC) would be to convert them to .srt format (Subtitle Workshop) then converting the .srt to .sup format using Srt2Sup.

Srt2Sup lets you pick the colour and the font for the new subtitles.

(Note that if you were satisfied with plain old B/W subs, you could use the .srt file along with the .mkv file in DVD Flick or FAVC to create a DVD and the following would not be necessary.)

To make even more complicated, you would now have to demux the DVD files that you made (from DVD Flick or FAVC) then create a new DVD from the demuxed video and audio plus the new .sup file.

The best way to do that would be to use IfoEdit - mainly because there is one more step required to modify the .IFO file to ensure that the correct colours are used for the subs.

Your audio problem would probably be resolved inasmuch as AC3 (stereo) is the default for most converters.

More notes:the longest step is the conversion of the .mkv video/audio files to DVD format - demuxing and muxing take little time.

I know it sounds complicated, but as long as the whole is taken in parts, it's not particularly difficult.

I don't know anything about MPEG4.

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Just 2 cents...
    If using DVD Flick, you have the option to set the font/size/ colour for the subtitles. Not sure what kind of subs you have in the MKV, might need to extract them and convert to srt so DVD Flick can load them.
    I used to have some issues with DVD Flick and MKVs and audio/video sync(using older versions of DVD Flick, haven't done a conversion in quite a while, don't know if still an issue).
    Another free application that will allow subtitle settings during DVD conversion is The FilmMachine.
    A pay for application is ConvertxtoDVD.

4. juiz7

juiz7 Member

@attar

Okay from what I understood I downloaded DVD Flick

Then I clicked Add title...

I added my .mkv file which is 22:49 minutes long and it has only 1 audio track and 0 subtitles. (By the way when I play it in Media Player Classic it has the subs but in DVD Flick it says there are none.

(I have more files but DVD Flick takes too long so I decided to just put 1 for now until I learn how to do this whole thing.)

After that I waited until it was finished and got these two folders in the dvd folder: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS

The audio folder is empty and the video folder contains these files:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB

What do I do next? Do I use IfoEdit? If so, how do I use it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

@cyprusrom

Your saying to extract the subs from the .mvk file?

Read my first post.

I tried using MKVExtractGUi and it didn't work.

It gave me a .TTF file and I don't know what to do.

If you know how to convert that .TTF file to an .srt file then let me know.

(Well if that's even possible because i don't know if .TTF can be converted to .srt.)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  5. attar

attar Senior member

You have to be able to extract the subtitles from the Mkv file and they have to be in a format that DVD Flick will accept (text based files, I.E. they can be opened in the likes of Notepad).

IfoEdit (previously mentioned) only applies if you are trying to use .ass or .ssa files from an MKV.
    DVD Flick sometimes won't accept them - then you have to convert them to a different format and mux them with your new DVD files - and IfoEdit is a good tool for doing this.

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Upload that subtitle file to MediaFire.com or something similar.

7. juiz7

juiz7 Member

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I am not sure what you have demuxed fom the MKV, but this is what you've uploaded to MediaFire:
    [​IMG]

Is the Calibri.ttf font file, that you can find it in "C:\Windows\Fonts" directory. It is 344KB, exactly the size of the Calibri.ttf that resides in my fonts folder.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

10. juiz7

juiz7 Member

I demuxed the subtitles but it gave me that weird .ttf file i showed you.

how to you extract the files with mkvmerge GUI v3.2.0 or tsmuxer?

11. juiz7

juiz7 Member

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Now you can load the MKV and the subs in DVD Flick and convert to DVD.You can select the font/size/colour you like in settings.

13. juiz7

juiz7 Member

I went to DVD Flick and put the subtitles now the problem is I have these two folders.

The audio folder is empty and the video folder contains these files:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB

I played them with Media Player Classic (MPC) but the subtitles don't show up. Also, I want my dvd to have a cool menu like the ones in Windows DVD Maker.

Now I'm trying to do this again but I converted the .ass subtitles to .srt format with VobSub_2.23 and added them to DVD Flick. I'm trying to see if I do this again maybe the subs will show up because I don't want to waste dvd discs.

Do I use Nero? I'm so confused.

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Try a different player, if Media Player Classic is not setup properly, will not display the subs. Try VLC.

DVD Flick can create menus. If you want more, then ConvertxToDVD (pay for app) has more/animated menu options.

15. juiz7

juiz7 Member

Same thing. Agh!! I hate this crap.
    I wish there was a program like mkv2vob that converts .mkv to mpeg-2
    except it lets you put in your own subtitles file if you have one like .ass or .srt
    and lets you pick the font
    and lets you fix the margins so that the subs aren't cut off when you put them onto a dvd
    and then it puts the sound in stereo/dolby whatever not stupid annoying mono sound how I hate that
    and has cool dvd menus like windows dvd maker because the ones in convertxtodvd look gay.
    *sigh* that would be like the best thing ever!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I just convert the .mkv to mpeg-2 and at the subs to it?
    Because that sounds so much easier to me.

16. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Getting frustrated there...
    My take on the menus- you only see it for 10-20 seconds, what I care about is the movie content.
    You already have the MKV converted to mpeg-2, that's what DVD Flick did.Now You might want to try attar's suggestion, use IFoEdit on the DVD files from DVD Flick output, and insert the subtitles..

17. juiz7

juiz7 Member

Yes and I don't know how to use IFOEdit.

18. attar

attar Senior member

I looked at the .ass file in Subtitle Workshop and some subtitles that should be near the beginning were near the end of the listing.

I then loaded the .ass file into DSRTv3 and converted them to .srt

Alt+Shift+I

Then on the top menu 'Script' > 'Remove'> 'Trash' then 'Duplicates'.
    It looked ok (as much sense as these anime things ever do)
    Saved the new .srt file and loaded it into DVD flick.

- of course I had to use a different video - but it seemed ok.

http://dsrt.boom.ru/down-eng.htm

19. juiz7

juiz7 Member

I'm using Any Video Converter (AVC) to convert my mkv file to mpeg-2 because I think this way will be much easier but now I'm curious.

I know the Video Framerate should be as close to 30 as possible but
    what about the Frame Size, Video Bitrate, Audio Bitrate, and Sample Rate.

Like I just put them all the way up but I don't know what any of this means.
    These are my settings:

Frame Size: 1920x1080
    Video Bitrate: 1800
    Audio Bitrate: 384
    Sample Rate: 48000

In Edit> Options> Subtitles> Size
    I wonder if I chang the Autoscale to Proportional to movie width will it solve my problem with the subs getting cut of all the left and right a few letters like 2 or 3.

Also, the Video Aspect is 16/9 since the original mkv is already in widescreen format.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  20. juiz7

juiz7 Member

Eww...Any Video Converter (AVC) is horrible. I like how the subs came out but the quality sucks. Mkv2vob has the best quality and it's fast just don't like the subs because they get cut off on the sides when I burn to dvd and they're not the same as the original mkv. I guess I'll have to try another mkv to mpeg-2 converter.