1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet TV On The Computer!!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dallasc, Aug 21, 2010.

1. dallasc

dallasc Member

How can one watch tv on the internet? would like to know if there is a program that allows you to do this!!! Any help out there???

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

depends on what you want to watch.I'm in australia and most tv shows are available to be watched at the channels website after they have aired on tv.

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I have yet to find anything that comes close to having a cable subscription.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I know Foxtel IQ (pay tv)has something that lets you watch all their shows on your computer.don't know much about it as i refuse to pay to watch a few extra channels.

5. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Yeah...Foxtel has it in Australia, but it does not work with most computers because they are too dumb to write a client that works under 64-bit windows, Linux, or Mac. Also, you have to pay for your cable anyway. Here in the states, verizon offers something similar to their FiOS customers, but again, you need to pay for an overpriced TV subscription to get it.

Personally, I am waiting for something that would be very easy to do, and for which I would be willing to pay a good amount of money...

A company sets up 50 servers, each has the ability to capture, compress, and stream 2 separate 1080P signals. They pick the 100 most popular channels and plug the system in. Then, they offer PC software and standalone DVRs for recording...it would be just like a normal cable subscription, but with a lower cost, and completely through the internet. There would be no "stream now" features; it would just stream whatever was on...and the DVR/DVR software would do the rest at the client end, just dropping the required bandwidth significantly, and completely eliminating any slow-downs caused by excess users (in theory, this model could be used to scale from 5,000 users to 5,000,000 without the need for hardware or bandwidth upgrades). I know it wouldn't knock out cable, but it would not need to. If they got just 0.1% of the market, they would be making a killing.

It is such an obvious, easy thing that it is bound to happen sooner or later...and then the cable companies that have been holding it back will all shrivel up and die (I hope).

The other thing I hope for (that would be super-easy to do) would be a similar setup offered by individual networks...there are only 3 cable channels I would want; I would happily pay them $5 each to have these channels streaming live. Considering the fact that they get less than $0.50 from me getting the same channel through cable, I would be paying the content providers at least 10x more, while paying much less per month total.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010