1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The WIFI BBS

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by thebrink, May 3, 2010.

1. thebrink

thebrink Member

Sooo...

Not sure if this is a new idea at all. I recently started building a NAS device to house some of my files and an idea struck me.

It occurs to me, with a number of my extra wifi routers, I could easily not just serve myself files, but also other users within proximity of my signal. I'm in a fairly dense area, there could be 50 users within my reach, and I could even "loan" out signal-extending routers to nearby parties that would agree to run it 24/7. This would be like an underground BBS from days long past (not that I was part of that movement, but I understand how it worked).

The short vision of it is this, user connects to WAP and is directed to a website (via some sort of reverse proxy agent) that links to the NAS share and the details to connect (probably FTP) where files could be uploaded/downloaded. That's pretty much it, internet access could be shared obviously, but ultimately the idea is it's a separate WLAN from the operator's LAN.

I'm wondering whether this is a stupid idea, maybe slightly short sighted, or just plain genius. My concerns is, BBS was a mixed bag, a lot of cool little apps, shareware, media, but also warez (illegal) and hence the operator could be prosecuted. Ultimately I'm sure this sort of setup exists on the internet and I would view the visibility of this network as LOW compared to a public IP on the internet serving up files. A vigilante "concerned citizen" with a chip on their shoulder waiting to knock you down (as no good deed goes unpunished) could finger you to authorities. This is a real threat as I can't recall any BBS that didn't have SOME illegal software on it even if it was quite heavily enforced.

Advantages over Internet-Sharing
    - Much larger storage, no paid access, no ads, no registration, no bullshit.
    - Make your own rules, set up quotas to encourage growth, could even make access to the NAS paypal-oriented if you so desire.

Disadvantages
    - Obviously you run this at cost of your electricity bills and HDD space
    - You have some risk of getting your NAS hacked (I still think less than an internet exposed server)
    - Setting up space for your own personal files (such as photos, sensitive personal data) on such a setup is very questionable no matter how much security you've implemented.

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

So in essence, you want to create a private network, but with internet access...a bit like a corporate LAN? Should be easy enough. The only big issue I see is the reliability. You wouldn't want to loose 75% of the network just because one access point has a glitch. I am not sure I would trust a NAS with this, or at least not with your personal files...or at least I would not trust a cheaper NAS, and the better NAS units cost more than a basic linux server.