1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts about CP/IP and distribution

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ZippyDSM, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Thoughts about CP/IP and distribution

More thoughts again, some still do not understand fully what I mean when I say focus on profit.

Savings from free stuff does not count since the free stuff costs money to find and store so that is not profit when I say profit I mean when someone willingly makes money from selling CP/IP without a license. When it generates profit directly for someone the CP/IP owners should have control over it but when it does not make money its fair use IMO as its fans being fans or people who choose to work at being legally cheap.

There is merit to free and lax distribution more people will see it, more people will muse and make stuff about it more people will be inclined to buy it if the media industry wises up and dose a better job at packaging and pricing media. As things are now they don’t have any reason to change by making free distribution legal they are force to keep up with the times.

Now you are going to ask what is the meaning of “free distribution” what does it mean for something to “gain profit”. If something is copyrighted or even patented(in which case the design cannot be used to make stuff to sell) the CP owner should have full rights and protection when it comes to selling their stuff to the people but that is where the protection ends distribution is no longer something that happens under profit generating circumstances and thus there is no need to throw the baby out with the bath water because corporate is too busy trying to fatten the bottom line that care about anything else by nature they are arrogant, cruel and greedy much more so than the people of the world because they have the money to over ride the people most of the time.

As the world shrinks and laws and treaties covers more and more of the world one has to look at things from a whole perceptive one is time how will the world look in 10,3 or 50 years and the other is what protects the people and business the most and that to me is profit.

Paying out of pocket to host files and share stuff but not consume it and allowing corporations to go after all unlicensed profit based distributors it is more than enough protection for art and information as it greases both sides and keeps them healthy allowing neither to stagnate to much.

http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/thoughts-about-cpip-and-distribution/

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

The problem is that you are trying to apply logic to the media industry...and it just does not work. This is an industry that charges the same amound for a 45 minute stereo CD as they charge for a 2-hour DVD in 5.1...a more expensive disk, a more expensive production, far more content, and fewer customers...yet the price is the same as a CD. Even worse, to buy the CD online in a lower quality MP3 version that has no physical media at all often costs more than buying the CD! And sharing the song with one person is punishable by a $50,000 fine...a fine paid to the same people who not only pirate music, but sell it...in stores!

Imagine if software pirates were pirating grain and oil...no one would be hungry, and there would never be an oil crisis.

But IP is not a physical thing...so it can't feed the masses; the best it can do is to cost less (or be free), so that those who buy it will have more to spend on food for themselves, or food for the poor.

There was once something called "fair use", but it does not seem to exist anymore. Today you can't even record HDTV to watch later unless you buy a crummy, overpriced DVR/HTPC from some OEM who has bribed the government...and simply discussing how one might fix this evil is considered a federal crime.

Also, the music industry seems to love stagnation...their best quality format is CD...and it is a leftover from the early '80's. They have done nothing to improve on this technology...and the only changes they make are ones to reduce costs (like replacing booklets with leaflets). In spite of the lower production costs (and almost non-existant costs of selling MP3s), CDs have not gotten any cheaper since the early '90's. They have no interest in keeping up with the times...their business is so profitable that their business model can be 50 years out of date, and they will still make money...so theya are not going to change it any time soon.

In the end, there is no such thing as "Fair" other than that place the visits once a year and has all the rides. They freely pirate the band's most popular tracks, while the devoted fans who own every album "pirate" the rare bootlegs because the record company refuses to print them...and the devoted fans who purchased every album tend to be the target far more than the record company that pirates the big titles in order to sell them and keep all the profit.

3. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

That goes without says its a dog eat dog world that being said setting the basic limit on how CP/IP is protected will ensure that at the very least the people can go about thier daily lives in the modern world not a world of 50+ years ago untouched by the msues of corporate lawyers...
    -------------------------------
    *sigh* some people think that CP/IP is so finite it has to be protected every way it can be from the public....

http://gamepolitics.com/2009/12/07/french-court-rules-favor-mod-chip-maker

Whats even more sad is MR:Jedithefreak has diluted himself into believing that the DMCA has made it illegal to circumvent copy protection, not to mention he thinks its plasuiable to protect copy right from everyone... its a losing battle draw the line and deal with the real treats...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

The truth is that it is illigal to do so. The DMCA overrides all previous "Fair Use" rulings just as the patriot act overrides all previous "Constitutional Rights". It is illigal just to discuss how you might break the protection. The good news is that because of this, only pirates are trying to break the protection; so most protection scemes lag behind the pirates.

The fact is, if the media industry would pull their heads out of their ***es, they would be able to crush piracy; they just don't want to make the changes that are necessary to keep their customers happy...and unhappy customers look for alternatives.

The media nazis need to realize that it costs almost nothing to sell a digital download; even if it is the size of a bluray. I know that a lot goes into a CD, movie, game, etc...and that the costs involved are not limited to physical production and distribution...but dropping the price to the cost of a rental would get them more total proffit in the end, as many times more people will purchase. Just imagine...if you could get a DVD for $2 legaly; why would anyone bother with torrents?

5. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

I dunno it dose cost money to run a site and in that that's my point if people had to pay more to share more it would lower shearing and thus lower what is traded legally.

But back to your point the media industry is trying to place 10+ year old rules on their business model, they are unable to change and unwilling to allow people to have basic media rights. This is why I say draw the line at non profit based data trading.

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I am often tempted to thing the same; but I don't mind the fact that artists make money...in fact, if they are good, then they deserve to get rich. I don't even mind that the media companies make money (though I do think they make too much money).

I am still waiting for a general "media pass" that simply gives a person access to whatever they want for a monthly fee...like netflix watchnow, but with music, games, and a much better selection of movies/tv shows. I know this is DRM...but we are not talking about buying anything...only renting; so who cares if it has DRM?

7. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Well I have no problem with CP creators making money its just that if you don;t make money off it you should be left alone no DMCA no bitching about copies,ect but the trouble is the CP owners are not CP creators and they simply want to much so the best thing for all is to focus on profit and if it dose not make money its not something they should waste their time on.

Maybe in the next 5-15 years you will see something like user net but with legit stuff on it....but I dunno it might take 20+ for that to happen....