1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

firewire help

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Burroughs, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Burroughs

Burroughs Member

I bought a new pc a few weeks ago, windows 7. I installed a pci express 1394 firewire card, hooked to my old sony dcr-tvr280 and it's worked perfect.
    Now today it won't recognize my sony. Any program I use says no video source. But everytime i plug in the firewire cable, the DV in displays on my lcd screen on the sony. Device manager shows my card is working properly, still nothing. I've upgraded the drivers...nothing. Uninstalled, reinstalled the card and drivers and nothing. I have 2 different firewire cables and the same with either. I've rebooted, turned both off then on...everything I can think of and still nothing.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanx

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have read posts where this has happened with Windows 7 and capturing via firewire. The solution was to go into Device Manager, click on IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers.

Next, right click on the controller that shows, and select properties. Click on the Drivers tab, then click on Update Driver.

You should get 2 options. Pick the Browse my computer for driver software.

In the box that shows up, type in C:\Users\XPS\Documents Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked, then click on the Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer....

If it doesn't go to the next screen, click on the Next button.

When the next screen comes up, click on the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) option. After Window 7 installs the driver, OK your way out of Device Manager.

Reboot your computer, and try capturing again.

3. Burroughs

Burroughs Member

Thanks...but already done the (Legacy) driver more than once and also got the new driver and still nothing...but thanks anyway.

4. Burroughs

Burroughs Member

And why am I called a newbie??? I been a registered user for a long time...

5. Burroughs

Burroughs Member

I just don't get it...I did like 3 full tapes off my sony without any problems and like right now it just stopped...came home from work, turned it all on and nothing...if it's the card, or my sony i'll buy new...just wanna know what the hell is the prob before I buy all new.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

12. Repeated posts to increase total number of posts is not allowed. Especially if your message is the last in the thread, edit it rather than post a new message.
    Newbie to Junior Member -- 25 posts
    Junior Member to Member -- 100 posts
    Member to Senior Member -- 500 posts
    Senior Member to Addict -- 2500 posts
    anyone to Moderator -- determination and bribes to admins
    anyone to Admin -- decent six-figure (euros or dollars, they are not picky) lump sum to AfterDawn's Swiss bank account

Also,posts made in the safety valve do not count.

7. Burroughs

Burroughs Member

i wasn't trying to get more posts...i wasn't sure i did it right by posting in his post. so i reposted...all i want is my stuff working right...sorry

8. Burroughs

Burroughs Member

Figured it out....it was my sony camcorder. Plugged in my brothers camera and it worked perfect.

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Sometimes that happens with Win7. I have a friend, in a different forum, who has done a lot of experimenting with his old camcorders. Some, he got to work a few times, but there were others that he could not get to work at all.

With the ones that he did get to work, he had to use the legacy driver. :(

Of course, if the camcorder goes belly up, it isn't going to work. I am glad that your brother's camcorder worked.