1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MiniDV Tape to iMac

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Telavera, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Telavera

Telavera Member

Having problems transferring MiniDV Tape to iMac. Camcorer is Panasonic NV 38 - Latest iMac.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I don't have a Mac anything, but you need to supply a little more information on why you are having a problem. What software are you using?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  3. Telavera

Telavera Member

Thank you for your reply. My apologies for not replying sooner - I have been away. First - My initial problem was trying to connect my Camcorder (A Panasonic NV-DS38 that uses Mini DV Tapes) to my iMac, which has a software programme (iMovie 11) installed. The iMac has a number of input sockets on the rear, but I used a normal USB cable connecting the Camcorder (with the Mini Tape inside) to the iMac. It should have recognised the connected player, but didnt.

Since i posted the original post i have purchased another Camcorder (a Panasonic SD900) This records onto an SD card and records in HD (1080.50p). However iMovie does not read HD Progressive files, only interlaced (e.g. 1080.50i), which is a somewhat lesser resolution. I understand that the 1080.50p resolution is a little ahead of its time, and the hardware needs to be improved to meet the higher standards of the software. There are many who state they cannot tell the difference better progressive and interlaced. But the progressive is undoubtedly superior.