1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox goes straight to clock and ms dash

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by vietazn50, Jul 5, 2009.

1. vietazn50

vietazn50 Member

Well i softmodded my xbox, but whenever it boots up it goes to the clock and i can access the regular dash only. but the green led light turns orange. help plz?

btw wen i put a blank cd in the xbox it goes to the clock i press A and then it boots up the softmodded dash. can some1 help me get it so that i can make the softmodded dash my default? and i cant ftp becuz my ip on the xbox is 0

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. Demonix90

Demonix90 Guest

Your're asked for the time every time you power on the Xbox? If so, some files missing that doesn't save your data? In order to start your softmod, coldboot the Xbox with NO game in your tray. The LED is orange indicating the softmod is active, you can change the colors under System Settings. In order to FTP, you need to goto Network Settings and set the IP, and DNS. There are a few different guides on what IP to use depending on your cable (crossover, straight through), so follow your guide.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I have one xbox that does this. I figured it was a battery problem, similar to PC's that have a CMOS battery, as xboxes are basically just PC's after all. I never did get around to opening the xbox purely to see if there is such a battery, and googling didn't turn up very much, so for now i just live with it, a simple press of the controller's A button (at the clock screen) nudges the xbox back to the softmod dash and all is well until the next time it's rebooted.

4. vietazn50

vietazn50 Member

no it only goes to ms dash wen i press A without a blank disc in the cd drive. help?

5. Enasni

Enasni Member

I have the same thing going on and to be honest...I just labeled a blank CD-R "Xbox Boot Disc" so nobody would use it...and yeah...if I want to go to the modded dash...I use the "boot disc" :p Inconvenient, but not largely so.

6. creaky

As i said, the xbox i have that exhibits this problem doesn't need a disc in the drive. I start it up, it goes straight to the clock screen in the original MS dash. I no longer bother to set the clock as the xbox is just for watching movies. I press the A button to accept the displayed clock settings, the xbox then goes to another MS dash screen. I reboot with the usual 4 controller buttons and the softmod dash appears. Now if i power cycle or reboot again, the MS dash clock screen appears again. Softmod is accessed in the same way.
    As it's consistent i won't bother to softmod again though i guess a softmod wold clear the problem.

Have just been googling and it seems there isn't a CMOS battery on the motherboard but some kind of a same difference, it seems to be called an 'aerogel capacitor' that holds charge for around 4 or 5 hours. My other xboxes are deliberately left plugged into the mains permanently, thus never hit the 4/5 hours limit that resets the clock.
    I've tried leaving this xbox connected to the mains (it always used be previously) and this doesn't help. Maybe these aerogel capacitors give up the ghost over the years like a CMOS battery would. Who knows :)

edit- here goes ~
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/601181
    http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6701
    - see if these help. I'll open up the xbox when i get a chance and see if i can find the capacitor.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  7. Enasni

Enasni Member

Try installing a single(maybe dual boot will work as well) boot soft mod, using SID v5.01 instead. I just did this today and it did the job for me. No clock problem, etc, whereas the other SID installer gave me the clock+CD-R required problem.

Still trying to sort out getting a CD-R that my Xbox will read...don't appear to be any in my house, figured I'd have a decent shot since it's a Samsung...but oh well...the search continues.

8. creaky

I've always used the dual boot dash installs so it's not that, none of my other xboxes exhibit this problem :)

edit- i forgot add previously, i don't have this problem anymore, the xbox in question is permanently plugged in, which seems to lend credence to some kind of rechargeable issue.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009