1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Dreambox types

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by fintannl, Apr 9, 2010.

1. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

All,
    I would like to start a new thread just to describe the technical differences between each different dreambox solution
    DM500S/C/T: Basic entry model. Depending on your needs the DM500 comes with either satellite, cable or mmds tuner. All three boxes look identical and are identical other than the tuner card. What must be mentioned here is that the tuner cards are not inter-changeable so if you no longer use cable and wish to move to satellite then you must buy a different box.

Pros: Cheap
    Negatives: Limited memory for storing TV Guide. No USB, No HD, only one tuner so cannot watch and record at the same time, Only 1*Scart.

DM600S/C/T: Tuners are interchangeable so no need to buy a new box (just new tuner) if want to change system, internal 2.5" hard disk,

Pros: interchangeable tuners
    Negatives: while it is possible to put a hard disk in it, if you do so you will likely cut the lifetime expentancy in 1/3 as the heat within the system will dry out capacitors on the motherboard. Also the hard disk will overheat any card put in the internal card reader. Still no external memory. No HD. Only 1*Scart. Single tuner

DM7020: Improvements to this system were a double scart interface and the introduction of a USB interface

Pros: Interchangeable tuner, integrated hard disk, USB interface, dual scart interface
    Negatives: Heating issues with internal hard disk, no HD, single tuner only

DM7025: The major improvement on this box was the first introduction of a dual tuner solution by Dream Multimedia

Pros: Interchangeable tuner, dual tuner solution, USB
    Negatives: Heating issues with internal hard disk, no HD

DM800: The DM800 was the first venture into HD by Dream Multimedia, but while they did this they reverted to a single tuner solution and the hard disk continues to be a problem as the box simply melts with an internal hard disk integrated

Pros: HD included, USB, Esata
    Negatives: heating from hard disk, lack of dual scart, lack of dual tuner

DM8000: The over the top solution that has everything, in fact too much. 4 tuner modules, HD, Esata, USB

Positives: Has every 'current' solution any user would need
    Negatives: Costs a fortune

DM500HD: I'm totally at a loss as to why Dream came out with this model

Positives: HD included, Esata, Fan for hard disk
    Negatives: USB removed, single tuner, single scart

My biggest issue is I wanted a dual tuner solution so I can record and watch at the same time and also I wanted HD. I have found the combination of a DM800 and DM500 to be the most economical solution.

I do not mention CI modules as their relevance these days are very limited. Standard interfaces such as network, serial communication are not mentioned as they are common to all boxes

All comments are most welcome. This is just a first attempt at explaining all the different dreambox models

Note: The Dreambox DM100 is not mentioned in this post as it it not a Linux based system

2. jackoooh

jackoooh Regular member

very interesting fint alot of useful info there good stuff

3. reswob

reswob Regular member

its a very good first attempt.very helpfull post fintannl