1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview 4 The Box Super USB - Invalid Box?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by da_mage, Jul 8, 2009.

1. da_mage

da_mage Member

Hi guys,

Had the Super USB running fine (latest N*L/IRE firmware), until lastnight when the following error appeared on-screen "Warning - this is an invalid box!". Pretty much ignored the message to be honest and all was fine... until I went to switch the unit back on the next day - totally dead!

There's no image on screen, no digits on the front display, but the digital audio red light comes on, indicating there's power getting to it.

After a little research, it appears this seems to be a problem with clone boxes, so I checked to see if the box was a clone model (which I was assured it wasn't when I bought it). Sure enough it doesn't seem to be a clone, as it doesn't have a silver heat sink on the processor. I have another Super USB from the same supplier and it's fine at the minute.

Any suggestions or is it a doorstop?

Thanks in advance :)

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yes I have seen one or two of these now. Its not dead as you will see the light coming from the S/PDIF socket on the back of the box. However the bootloader has been killed by the latest firmware so it wont boot up.

I know its not a clone but it is probably from one of the earliest SV4 batch. You will see that the Jtag connector on the main board is similar to a clone but all other signs indicate a genuine model.

The Max232 will not fix it as that is only used to bypass the USB after a bad flash. So a Jtag will have to be looked at, or maybe adapt the Max232? But even after jtagging it there is no clonesafe firmware for the SV4 and as a result it wont work in Ireland.

TBH they didnt do their homework when introducing the small bit of script that kills the clones. They are now killing early genuine models also.

I know business has to be protected but now even at the cost of killing genuine boxes is taking it a bit too far IMO. So lets hope there is not a flood of these soon.

3. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Great post scouser, why does nothing surprise me anymore with starview

4. da_mage

da_mage Member

Hi sc0user,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Guess it's now a doorstop, just hoping the other Starview 4 I have doesn't follow suit!

Pretty crappy that Starview are killing their own genuine products though isn't it?

Thanks again!

5. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

@ Mickah, TBH I cannot see how they can rectify a complete mess like this now. I forecast a lot of angry people soon enough.

@da_mage, its not totally dead but its as good as until they do as said. I dont think its up to us or anyone else to even attempt to come up with a remedy this time around as the cause is quite obvious.

How long did you have the box for?

6. da_mage

da_mage Member

Bought two of them last December, sc0user. Emailed the supplier just to get their thoughts - no responce as of yet and I'm not holding my breath to be honest!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  7. steo2k8

steo2k8 Active member

One of my relatives had one for 2 days, 2 DAYS, and it died. I didn't know what happened it but now I do it was starviews fault :(

EDIT: Same problem as above red light on the back works but no bootloader (no front lights = no boot).

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

TBH some of the suppliers will be surprised also as they were sold genuine boxes. The fault lies between them and the manufacturers/coders on this one.

Who was your supplier?

9. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Was it a clone or genuine model Steo? The clone box will have a silver heatsink, (as well as numerous other differences), on the CPU.

10. steo2k8

steo2k8 Active member

I checked that and it looks genuine, no heatsink and that blue stuff was there, black wires at the back. I should look again if I can find the pictures in case something's odd.

11. da_mage

da_mage Member

12. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Looks like there will be more of these genuine boxes going down then :( So what do you call a genuine box that is in fact a clone?

I am one of many now considering the merits of this particular box.

13. steo2k8

steo2k8 Active member

clonuine <-- LOL

14. TheBish

TheBish Guest

For those interested, there is a jtag header on-board (not the RS232 one) and some comms can be achieved with the Conexant ARM processor, but so far I've not been able to get full jtag access working.

Without the right kit (which I'm too tight to buy) it's difficult to get full jtag control of the processor. There's limited software around (in the bit of searching I've done) to get reliable jtag control of that processor. As I don't really have a need for it at present, I've not looked at it for some months. I may have to write my own software & that takes time.

Maybe I'll take another look at some point, but I'm busy playing with other stuff right now.

15. akcum

akcum Member

Hi All
    wonder if anyone can give me some help. I have a starview usb 4 box that is working perfectly in dublin on N*L, Took it to wexford with me and tried it on cho*us and nothing????? very confused

16. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

keep us posted with any software you come up with, its nice to know some 1 is trying to help keep us alive

17. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

@akcum It's a different system. You will probably have to manually scan on all the different frequencies to get all channels.
    It's on this site elsewhere how to do so. Have a search.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  18. akcum

akcum Member

Thanks Mooley I will have a look and give it a go

19. tony_i

tony_i Guest

20. bassliner

bassliner Member

Been reading this forum for the last two years without needing to register as i found the info i needed by searching through the various threads to solve problems.
    But after reading this thread i had to register and ask couple questions regarding the Starview Super USB ''invalid box '' :(
    Only have mine a few days and got the error ,switched it off and of course now it will not turn on .
    Had used the correct firmware to flash it and it is a genuine box.

My friend has one,same delivery day and company , and was wondering if he is to receive the same message,would it help to flash it again whilst it is still operational ?(told him not to turn it off or try and reset to factory default )

Would the use of the a USB stick for recording ,pausing have affected mine in any way at all to cause the error ''inavild box '' even though it is a function of the box i having am having doubts about this feature and that it might of affected it somehow.
    Even though i only have it couple of days i was recording alot and watching jpegs etc and friend has not used a USB stick in it yet for them functions.

If i send mine back to company, will they get it back working in England as Scouser suggested about the Max232 or jtagging it ,and why would it work in England and not here ?( maybe i am getting lost in this one !!)
    If the company is any way decent ,what would the chances be of a replacement from other peoples experience in similar kind of situations ?( thinking Kryptview if possible )

very písséd off box owner :(