AfterDawn Forums

Which box?

This discussion thread has 13 messages.

#1
Hey all, sorry to post re a subject probably posted many times previously but can't see what I'm looking for.

I currently have VM where I live but also have Sly at parents house - I was wondering what the best options would be for both?

Not entirely a newbie but my last involvement was with the Starview 3 box, on VM, before they made the switch to Nagra 3

Seems like I've missed quite a bit since then??'m

Any advice would be great.

Appreciate it.
▼▼ This topic has 12 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
#2
sorry mate, but there are loads on threads on the forum, about Blade, Dreambox, Sky F3 bbox, HD9001 etc, use the search function above to search for them,
#3
Originally posted by MICKAH:
sorry mate, but there are loads on threads on the forum, about Blade, Dreambox, Sky F3 bbox, HD9001 etc, use the search function above to search for them,
Morning. Cheers, thought it would be quicker if I asked as there are so many boxes about. I'll have another walk through the threads and see what I can find.

Don't want to make a silly mistake that's all :)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Dec 2012 @ 5:35
#4
on cable only box that works is the kryptview a780 or the hd model phoenix a850,keep well away from starview having no service,sat boxes have many choices but do plenty of reading as boxes dont do the same things like 7 day epg or only now and next,sd or hd,pvr ready,single or twin tuner.
#5
i would suggest sat via a private share if you can find one, prices range (for the box) from 50.00 up to 500 it all depends what you want, and also remember that all boxes now require internet to clear scrambled channels, if you go down the sat route its not free for all channels (normally around 10 a month)
#6
Thanks guys.

So kryptview or Phoenix for a VM box, one off cost?

Sat route I have read about the blade, f3 and star track hd box, all with gift required.

What I am looking for is hd, record function if possible, record while watching another channel too I guess.

Tongs, when you say private share, u mean card share? Also thought once you pay for the gift that was it, don't understand the 10 a month? Sorry.
#7
Originally posted by Porkpie1:
Thanks guys.

So kryptview or Phoenix for a VM box, one off cost?

Sat route I have read about the blade, f3 and star track hd box, all with gift required.

What I am looking for is hd, record function if possible, record while watching another channel too I guess.

Tongs, when you say private share, u mean card share? Also thought once you pay for the gift that was it, don't understand the 10 a month? Sorry.
lets say you buy the box with 12 month "gift" and sly changes its encryption 2 days after you have bought the "gift" then your pretty much screwed and left with FTA channels, its best to pay monthly or quartly then if it does go tits up you won't have lost to much coinage
#8
Never pay for a years sub, anything could go wrong and you will be the loss of the money, best take 3 or 4 months out and see how it pans out for ya,

The skybox and others like it will alow you to watch and record, but the chan must be on the same transponder, so example would be BBC1 and you want to record BBC2, if its on the same TP or Transponder/freq then it will, it wont allow you to do this on chans that are not on the same freq

Your talking about buying a duel tuner box if you want to record and watch another chan, you talking about 140/150 approx for the Amiko Alien, technomate, Humax etc

hm-9001s Chan Editor - https://hotfile.com/dl/184330990/a6b825a/PolarEditOctagon10x8Setup_0.725.zip.html
Ariva 250 Patched Firmware -
Ariva 250 Chan Editor - http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/downl...mbo/Editor.zip/
Ariva 150 Patched -
#9
Cheers guys. I guess it makes sense not too waste my cash just in case it stops.

I'll review the dual tuners you've mentioned Mickah thanks, not heard of them so should keep me entertained for a little while longer before I choose!!

:). Choices choices!!
#10
Originally posted by MICKAH:
Never pay for a years sub, anything could go wrong and you will be the loss of the money, best take 3 or 4 months out and see how it pans out for ya,

The skybox and others like it will alow you to watch and record, but the chan must be on the same transponder, so example would be BBC1 and you want to record BBC2, if its on the same TP or Transponder/freq then it will, it wont allow you to do this on chans that are not on the same freq

Your talking about buying a duel tuner box if you want to record and watch another chan, you talking about 140/150 approx for the Amiko Alien, technomate, Humax etc
Hi Mickah,

What other boxes have dual tuners to allow recording from another transponder to what you are watching ?
I'm looking for a dual tuner box with hdmi input for c line share .

Cheers in advance.
#11
qbox mini is cheap and Amiko Alien 2, technomate, Humax, Xoro HRS9100 Twin Tuner which is 132 Euros, if your in Ireland the Ferguson Ariva is a DTT and Sat box, best to have a look about

hm-9001s Chan Editor - https://hotfile.com/dl/184330990/a6b825a/PolarEditOctagon10x8Setup_0.725.zip.html
Ariva 250 Patched Firmware -
Ariva 250 Chan Editor - http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/downl...mbo/Editor.zip/
Ariva 150 Patched -
#12
I've heard some mixed reports about the ferguson ariva as regards their reliability.
I suppose I want a box that has no shortage of software updates so don't want to go too obscure .
At this stage I'm square eyed looking at hd boxes
That have twin tuners and just can't decide, price is important but not essential, I won't pay silly money but I don't mind spending a bit more on a better product ...
I don't suppose you could recommend one to me if you wouldn't mind ! I'd be very grateful :-)
Or even just rate them in order !

I'm in ireland btw.

Thanks again, sorry if I'm bustin your nuts on this one !
#13
The Amiko Alien is cheap and by all accounts a good box by the reports I am hearing, but at the end of the day its what you want to spend, duel sat tuners aint a cheap box, so your talking over 140 euros give or take and upwards, the Ariva is about 110 euros, but thats a DTT/Sat combo, if you looking at duel Sat, then your looking at the Amiko and the others plus a hard drive, so its a case of what your willing to spend,

hm-9001s Chan Editor - https://hotfile.com/dl/184330990/a6b825a/PolarEditOctagon10x8Setup_0.725.zip.html
Ariva 250 Patched Firmware -
Ariva 250 Chan Editor - http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/downl...mbo/Editor.zip/
Ariva 150 Patched -
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.