1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do firmware & driver updates exist for my DVD drive and if so may i have the links for the same

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by perfectio, Mar 9, 2010.

1. perfectio

perfectio Member

I have searched a lot on the net for ydated drivers and firmware for my dvd burner hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t50n but seemed to get nowhere.

Who is the manufacturer of this drive?
    Is there anyone wo can confirm a fimware update and driver update for this drive considering it is a slim drive that shipped with my Toshiba laptop that runs Win 7

What's the final verdict on this?

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you have ImgBurn installed, you can click 'Tools' > 'Drive' > 'Check for firmware updates'.
    It will then list the current firmware and offer to search for an update.

Or you can go to the link and search for one.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/index.php

3. scum101

scum101 Guest

4. perfectio

perfectio Member

Thanks a lot scum101

I did download the firmware you led me to and a day later a friend of mine (an expert googler) cam up with firmware update RR09 at this link http://www.general-search.com/fileinfo/10708884

My original firmware update was RT03
    I also have update RT04
    I found an update RY05 here (http://www.firmwarehq.com/drive.php?inq=HL-DT-ST%20DVDRAM%20GSA-T50N&chk=70)dated 0th Jan 2009
    Now you have shown me RR07

How come the series alphabets change? Should it not be one series progresively?

How is one to know the latest firmware update from these codes?

funny thing these firmwares are reverse flashable too. that is i can flashh an older firmware over a newer one without any warning?

Another question God of firmware...Are thse firmwares for DVD dries OS dependant ?

God of firmwares - i beg thee to strike again

Thanks and do help me to clear these confusions

5. scum101

scum101 Guest

firmware is firmware.. sometimes the different letters and numbers mean specific drive versions only so check very carefully that it will work for your drive.

Most times all these numbers mean is a slight change to enable different features and to accommodate new media types. There should be a list of precisely what each firmware does or does not do.. some are just "region free" whereas others can make some pretty radical changes to drive capabilities.

I generally stick with the latest "unofficial" firmwares from the rpc1.org lists but I don't usually burn dual layer or 16x media.