1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner causing system reboots!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jlatenigh, Mar 6, 2010.

1. jlatenigh

jlatenigh Member

Hey All, I have a Windows 7 64-bit system with an Asus M2N-E SLI motherboard. Every now and then, but pretty predictably, my DVD drive (Samsung sata dl burner) causes my system to reboot. It doesn't bluescreen, it just reboots entirely. Nothing in the system log. That leads me to believe it's a power issue. I have an Antec 550w power supply, so it's hard to believe it's not keeping up. I've tried disconnecting another DVD drive and an extra internal hard drive, but it still happens. Seemingly counterintuitive, it ususally happens when ripping discs. It's never happened when burning I don't think. Any thoughts? Any troubleshooting tips? Is there a utility for monitoring system power consumption or something to see if I can catch it before it reboots to help me figure out what's going on? Thanks to all!

2. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

3. scum101

scum101 Guest

way way more likely to be down to cpu load during transcoding/ripping.. I would try converting an xvix to mpeg2 or other equally cpu intensive process and watch what happens.

I'm running a lovely 64 bit desktop (no crappy windoze tho) which also did the black screen-reboot thing which is why the previous owner scrapped it.. it was their hdd.. faulty.. (confirmed because it was the only bit they kept and put in their new system which did exactly the same thing) but that was caused by a faulty psu initially.. local "repairer" ripped them off with a faulty underpowered psu while doing a "software upgrade".

you might wonder how I know that?.. dead simple.. I built this system from new 5 years ago when it was state of the art.