1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner shows up as CD ROM

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sked_142, Apr 13, 2010.

1. sked_142

sked_142 Member

I recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP. When everything was up to date, I tried to burn a DVD using windows media player, and I noticed my DVD burner didn't show up. I looked it up in My Computer and it seems to think it's a CD ROM. I can play DVD's on it still; I just can't get anything to recognize it as a DVD burner. I have never had this problem before and I've formatted my hard drive many times.

Unfortunately, the DVD drive is an Artec VPP-8D24Q and I can't find an official web site for it, or any place that offers a driver specifically for it.

PS- it shows up in my Device Manager as ATAPI DVD DUAL 8x4x12.

2. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

mine did this a while back.. i put it in another pc.. both vista sp3 machines.. same thing.. i upgraded the firmware and it never happened again.. you could try that.. sometimes it could just be a a corruption in windows. ive seen that too..

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Did you try ImgBurn and it didn't recognize it?
    Windows recognizes it as a CD because natively it doesn't burn DVDs.

4. sked_142

sked_142 Member

I've seen a lot of advice online directing people to update their firmware. Sounds like it solves a lot of problems. Unfortunately, as I stated earlier, the manufacturer's website no longer exists. I can't find a place that offers the firmware.

As for ImgBurn, I downloaded it and it recognized the drive as a dvd writer. Seemed like good news at the time, but I tried to burn a disc and this is what it spit back at me:

I/O Error!

Device:[1:1:0]ATAPI DVD DUAL 8X4X12 ATC1 (I:)(ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 00 02 40 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write(10) - Sectors: 576 - 607

Sense Area: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: No Additional Sense Information

[Retry] [Cancel]