1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is new dvd writer faulty?? half pin at back

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Sara82, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Sara82

Sara82 Member

Hi, I hope someone can help so I dont waste any more time trying to figure this thing out. I have two dvd writers in my computer one as the reader and one as the writer. I decided to get a new writer as the old one seemed to have problems ejecting the disc. I bought a Samsung SH-S222A 22x PATA/IDE DVD/RW, Dual Layer, DVD-Rewritable Drive, BLACK - OEM (Bare Drive) and when I received it I noticed that one of the pins was shorter than the rest. I know there is supposed to be one missing but I have never seen a drive with a short pin before. It doesn't look snapped off, it looks like it maybe has been pushed in too deep.

Anyway I decided to just try it anyway and that's when the problems started. No matter how many times I try uninstalling the primary and secondary channels pio mode keeps coming up on one of the channels (sorry I have uninstalled it now so cant remember which)it usually says dma if availaible, but current transfer is set to pio mode.
    Sometimes it says either dma if availaible or multi word dma 2. But the problem is that when either of these two statements come up as soon as I put a blank disc in it reverts to pio mode again. Also it takes ages to recognise the disc and makes the computer quite slow at the same time. With my old drive when I put in a blank disc a box came up and asked me what I wanted to do with it. with this a little disc icon appears next to the arrow and then after a few minutes a blank window comes up which says D://.

when the two statements come up and I dont put a blank disc in and maybe start nero recode, that also makes it revert back to pio, so maybe a conflict? I did try a few burns in nero recode in pio mode and it said book type set to dvd rom, and this message didn't appear with old drive.
    I am using 80 pin ribbon type wire and the problem is not the wire as I have tried the old drive on it and its fine

amd sempron(tm) processor
    3400+
    2.00 ghz, 1.43 gb of ram
    physical address extension
    windows xp
    nero recode 2.2.6.17

hope someone can help, thank you in advance, I think I put message in wrong section but not sure how to change it

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum. is the short pin on the 40pin connector middle bottom side? is the new drive jumpered the same as the old drive as in master, slave or cable select?

3. Sara82

Sara82 Member

Hi thanks for replying, the short pin is tenth along going from the left and is on the top row. I used to have my old drives on two seperate cables. I tried everything using the two cables with the new drive with no luck, so I removed one of the cables and my old drive works fine on it as master but when I plug new one in I have no luck
    Thanks again

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take it back to get it replaced as not supposed to be like that & that the drive is not seen by the pc.