1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing Hi8 with ATI Catalyst or Nero

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by rlexusj, Jan 15, 2011.

1. rlexusj

rlexusj Member

I was having part of this post in one of the other forums but, not, i should be moved here.
    I am capturing a Hi8 family video tapes and intend to make DVD movies.
    I am using the most suitable computer that I have for the job. I am using a Core 2 Duo 6400, with Windows XP Media Center. (I'm not sure what good use Media Center is).
    Computer has 2048MB DDR II memory, 2 large hard drives, a CD burner and a DVD burner, an Nvidia GeForce 7100 with 512 MB, and an ATI TV Wonder 650 HD PVR card.

The TV Wonder came with a program called ATI Catalyst which sees my Hi8 video in it's TV section. It will capture the video but I cn find no way to tell it how long to capture, i.e., 2Hrs and 10 minutes. If I leave it alone it will continue capturing satic for several hours.
    The XP Media Center doesn't seem to have a clue either.

The computer came with an OEM Suite version of Nero Express (6.3.1.2... with Nero Vision Express 2.1.2... If I use Nero to capture it keeps popping up an error saying that the capture card is in use elsewhere and then that shuts down the program (I couldn't find the ATI card running anywhere.) but that error keeps popping up.

What else might I use to capture my video, put a capture duration time on it, delete a few wasted scenes from the cature, add a Title and date recorded, and burn it to a DVD?

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

we found the only bit of nero 8 worth having was the video capture part........

3. 703feetunder

703feetunder Member

So, should I get a copy of Nero 8 instead of my Nero 6?
    Is it possible that the "ATI Catalyst" program is hanging on to the ATI capture card causing Nero to not have access to it? Or, same question for Xp Media Center - XP MCE doesn' do much with the capture card either. One time I got the video but MCE couldn't find or record the video.
    Anyone have a better, and easier capture program?

4. rlexusj

rlexusj Member

So, should I get a copy of Nero 8 instead of my Nero 6?
    Is it possible that the "ATI Catalyst" program is hanging on to the ATI capture card causing Nero to not have access to it? Or, same question for Xp Media Center - XP MCE doesn' do much with the capture card either. One time I got the video but MCE couldn't find or record the video.
    Anyone have a better, and easier capture program?