1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to record VHS from the 80's (From TV) with encryption? Help?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Cryptic66, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Cryptic66

Cryptic66 Member

Hi,
    I would extremely be grateful if someone can help me solve this problem I'm having.
    This is the first and only time I've ever encountered something like this..

**Prepare for a long and detailed description**
    Okay, first off, I'm an extreme classic 80's metal video collector, have been since I was very young. This one video I've spent ages looking for, to be accurate, probably about 12/13 years. Saying the video is rare is a understatement, although the video is on youtube, I personally don't mess with compressed mp4/flv junk. To me, if it isn't MPEG-2 VOB/DVDR, I can't use it.
    I've been jerked around 3 times prior to finding this video. The video is called Eudoxis - Metal Fix, it's a very rare video that only aired a couple times on MuchMusic in Canada. The band is from Quebec. The first time I found someone who had it they told me 'Sure! We'll do a trade' and I sent the dude my list, he said he saw lots of stuff he wanted, now the dude ignores me, when he's on my facebook. I can clearly see he's been online, yet he ignores me every time I ask him anything. Same with the second guy who claims to have the video, he's got it listed on his site, and at one time he said 'Sure, we can trade'. He even picked out some shows/episodes of Headbangers Ball from my list he wanted. Now he ignores me as well. Finally the third guy is the guy who actually uploaded the video on youtube, 'How about I just send you the tape and you put it on DVD?' I said sure, that would be great! And I promised to send his tape back to him along with a copy of it on DVDR, and a remastered/cleaned up copy. Same B.S., another dude that ignores me. So I got really sick of getting the run around from all 3 of these dudes, I don't even know if the 2 guys who have it listed on their list even have it or not, but the guy on youtube apparently does, he just don't care to help me out for whatever reason now.
    Then I got an email from a friend of mine in Canada who told me he has the video, it's on VHS and he found it! So I got VERY excited cause I know this guy, and I trust him. He's not going to pull the same B.S. on me that those 3 guys did, and I was right. He sent me the original tape, and just told me 'Keep it dude!'.
    The problem is, he recorded it off an illegal cable box back in the day, so I'm having some serious problems pulling the video off the tape.
    I feel that I needed to explain just how rare this 1 video is, so people can understand that I can't just go and buy it somewhere. It's so rare, the band don't even have it (Trust me, I've barked up that tree already) and it hasn't been played on TV since the mid 80's. The video is from 1984, so it's old.

Now for the technical problems:

Okay, when I watch the video on the tape straight from my VCR, it plays fine. It doesn't look perfect, there are some blue lines at the top on some scenes of the video, and I'm only assuming that is from the illegal cable box. I have 2 standalone DVD recorders, one is a Samsung and the other is a Magnavox with a built-in VCR. I have 4 VCR's including the DVD recorder with the built-in VCR. Out of all 4 VCR's, the one that plays the tape the best is my old sh***y Emerson VCR with only 1 left audio channel. I don't know why, because we've had this VCR since before I was born, so it's ancient (Well over 26 years old at least).
    The other VCR's will play it, but they don't look quite as good as the old Emerson.
    Ok, for some reason when I just play the video with my VCR it plays fine, like I said. For proof, here is a picture of my TV playing the video:
    [​IMG]

Here is a actual VIDEO RECORDING of my TV playing the video: https://mega.co.nz/#!9kVHwTyT!dTxFaAD4yQVIGqZnZ6foOVQyJBk20dhXF_eL4Vkxuo4

Warning, it's a large file, but you can get a general idea of what it looks like from my TV. Also, my copy is 100% complete, the copy on youtube is missing the first 5 or 6 seconds, and also the last 5 or 6 seconds as well. Another reason I'm trying to save this video.

Now, when I try to record the video to DVD with either of my DVD recorders, this is the result I get: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The video is WAY too dark. And believe it or not, but that's after I put the video through Sony Vegas and turned up the brighness to where you can barley even see it. It's TERRIBLE.

So that got me thinking this tape MUST still have some kind of copy encryption on it somehow. The thing is, it's an old tape recorded off TV, but it was recorded with an illegal cable box. The same tape also has some other MuchMusic Power Hour interviews and videos on it as well as some from Solidrok, but the other videos look fine and will record fine! The tape is in SP mode, it's just a 2-Hour tape.
    All of the other videos except for the first 5 or 6 look like the Eudoxis video, cause they were all recorded with the illegal cable box. I've tried everything so far..
    The back of my 61" bigscreen TV has a 'Monitor Out' RCA plugin on it, so I thought 'This is it! That would be perfect!'. Wrong. I hooked it up and played the video on my TV through my VCR, and I got really excited, cause it looked as though it was going to record fine with my DVD recorder from the Monitor Out plugin, but when I watched the DVD back, it was the same crap. Black, you can't barley even see anything.
    I've tried recording the VHS to another VHS, thinking maybe if I record it to another VHS tape, the encryption might come off of it enough where I can pick the video up with my DVD recorder. Nope, the tape looks terrible. In fact half of it ends up in black & white.
    I even tried hooking the Monitor Out plugin up to my VCR and watching the tape on my TV, recording it on another VHS tape from my VCR. Although it looks fine through my TV while it's recording, when I play the tape I've recorded back it looks terrible, again, black & white, jumping, it will not record without looking terrible.

Can anybody please help me? Does anyone have any ideas how I can bypass this and save the video?? Also.. What is this crap?? It's just a tape recorded from Canadian TV in the 80's, I've never in all the years of video collecting had a problem like this, and I've had thousands of tapes put on DVD with music videos from all over the world.
    This is a nightmare, and I know those 3 dudes aren't going to help me out.
    I've offered them all 3 $50 just for a copy. Nothing. Pretty much if I can't get this tape to transfer and look decent, it's hopeless.
    If I could just somehow record the tape how it looks when I watch it back from my VCR, I really think it could work..
    And please, do not post and say 'Film your TV playing the video!'. That's stupid.
    I am trying to get the best transfer I can out of this cause it's as good as I'm probably ever going to get.. this video has been an absolute NIGHTMARE for me to just find, and finally after all the sleepless nights and years of searching, I can't put it on DVD.
    Can anyone please help me out?
    Thank you..

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. mickthejoiner

mickthejoiner Member

I have a Pinnacle DVC100 device which copies protected Disney VHS videos without any problems. You can use the software that comes with it but I prefer to use Nero Video. I have done over 30 Disney protected tapes without any problem but please bear in mind that I'm in Scotland and use the PAL system but I don't think that should make any difference. Hopefully you'll get your video on to DVD. If you're using Windows 7 you must download the latest drivers from Pinnacle

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

only thing i can think of is using a video line in on your computer and trying to use screen capturing software to record,which may or may not work as i havnt actually done it.

also recall in the 90s some people used a blackbox recorder that you plug 2 vcrs into to record encrypted videos first 30 seconds of the video you hear a series of weird noises then the video plays fine.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  5. Cryptic66

Cryptic66 Member

I got it figured out now. It took only a capture card.