1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video capture vs dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by coolguy86, Mar 14, 2012.

1. coolguy86

coolguy86 Member

Ok, if there is a discussion of this already, please point me in the right direction. Anyhow, i currently use direct tv dvr service and would like to transfer shows from my dvr onto a dvd and be able to edit out commericials. My question is which is the best way to get better quality? I know most dvd recorders are around $100 or so and i found a video capture device on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/EasyCap-Usb...62?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a71c0b71a. Now, the item on ebay is only about $7 and there are some for a little more, but they are way cheaper. Thats why im skeptical about buying one before asking. I will be switching to hd pretty soon, so i want to be able to get good quality when recording to dvd. I read somewhere that once you have it on your pc there is a software to change the quality. Im totally lost on this stuff so please help me someone!!!

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I would not waste money on a cheap capture device. The good thing about them is the better ones come with some form of editor. I bough my first capture card for $75 but the software sucked. To use it I would have had to pay for an editor and a converter costing a few hundred dollars. I wouldn't buy anything for less than $100 and I would check out the editor before I bought. They usually cost more than the hardware they are bundled with so capture devices are a good deal. Yes, the capture device is a computer card.

The good thing about recorders is they are cheap and easy. They work like the old VCRs so you don't need to run a cable to your computer. The one I have can use junk media, 1-2 cents apiece on ebay because you burn at 1X. Editing videos is a real pain in the ass unless you have special high powered hardware. The better the resolution the more painful the edit. I haven't used either capture device I own in years. I can live with fast forwarding the video vs spending an hr or more cutting out the commercials for something I might watch a few times. Some person enjoy spending their weekends perfecting what they have captured that week. I prefer to have a life.

3. coolguy86

coolguy86 Member

ok, so now ive found out about using directv2pc. Not sure how it goes, but i can watch shows off my dvr on my pc. So, cant i use some software to record on pc while its playing on pc?