1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-989AVi / DV-79AVi DVD-AUDIO Verance Watermark Detection

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by capacitor, Jul 31, 2011.

1. capacitor

capacitor Member

Does anybody out there know how Verance's watermark detection (for DVD-AUDIO) is implemented on a Pioneer DV-989AVi / DV-79Avi ?
    From the service manual, it appears that it could be one of three chips, IC701 (PE5286B-K) which appers to decrypt CPPM, CPRM, Mitsubishi AV decoder IC751 (M65776BFP) or the audio DSP IC1101 (DSPD56367PV150). All these IC's have outputs linked to the system control CPU IC601 (PD6345A) therefore being able to stop playback once the watermark is detected on a recordable media.
    Any input and or datasheets for the abovementioned IC's would be much appreciated.

Capacitor
    (Let's make things work)

2. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

That program is old if its the one I am thinking of.

3. capacitor

capacitor Member

For anyone that's interested, I've just found a little trick / glitch for the DV-989AVi / DV-79AVi players that will make it play a recorded watermarked DVD-AUDIO disc in length.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a 100% success rate, but here it is anyway;

1. Load your recorded DVD-AUDIO disc(watermarked ofcourse) into the player and let it play.

2. Now you are going to need a very time precise finger on the play button. Watch the units display time (seconds) carefully as the disc is playing & as soon as the time is transient from 29sec to 30sec hit the play button on the players front panel.(Haven't had any success doing this with the remote yet)

This is the point at which the player would normaly stop (30sec mark) when Verances watermark is detected.
    If successful the DVD-A disc will play the entire group but all navigation of it is lost, you will not be able to skip tracks, pause etc... Also you will notice that the displayed time will continue to increment through all tracks.

Now as I mentioned this method doesn't have a 100% success rate and you will likely need to try it a few times to have success. You can also try pulsing the play button repeatedly between the 29sec - 30sec transition and you may fluke it. This worked for me a couple of times.

Any comments appreciated.

Capacitor
    (Let's make DVD-A work)