1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding hard-subs into an AVI file

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Ryutso, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Ryutso

Ryutso Member

Followed the VirtualDubMod tutorial to the letter and actually have been using it a lot with great results.

But I ran into this one movie that VirtualDubMod doesn't seem to like. Here's my steps:

1. I open the movie in VirtualDubMod
    2. Filters>TextSub (I have an .srt file)
    3. Browse for the srt file and click ok

But it doesn't show up in the box where it should show the path to the srt file.

Is it something I'm doing wrong, or does VDM just not like the srt?

2. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Is your .srt sub any different from any other subtitles you've used before? It could be timed wrong and stuff.

Try opening it up in Notepad. Open up another subtitle file - one that you know works with VDub - and compare the two.

You might be able to find out what's wrong that way.

.srt subtitles are usually very easy to work with. They aren't complex at all, so VDubMod shouldn't have any issues with it.

...it could also not be an .srt sub. Just sayin'.

...and finally, you could try changing the name of it to match the name of your video file. That might or might not be the issue.

3. Ryutso

Ryutso Member

It's exactly the same as other Subtitles I've used before.

It's so weird. I even tried to use another subtitle file I used before and that subtitle file would work.

It's the subtitle file that VDubMod won't read.

And I don't know what to do.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I had the same issue with some srt subs not being recognized by some programs(SubSync in my case).For whatever reason, it would tell me it was corrupt.

Do you have VobSub installed? If you do, open the application that comes with it, SubResync. See if you can load the problematic srt. If it will open, just save it as srt again.

5. Ryutso

Ryutso Member

Wow VDubMod actually recognizes it now.

What happened? Why would the srt file not be recognized by VDM and what does Re-saving it as an srt in SubResync do?

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

:~), I don't know enough about how things work/file structure, sometimes I'm able to just troubleshoot'em(mostly trial and error). Had same issue trying to sync some subs to the video, the .srt couldn't be loaded( corrupted,or unsupported format, some sort of annoying error;however, the player was able to load it!).

I figured maybe an application dedicated to just editing/formatting subtitles would be less sensitive to whatever errors the .srt might contain and be able to read it(to me it looked exactly like an working .srt file. I actually opened the good .srt and the "bad" one in Notepad, and copy/pasted the text from the good one over the erroneous one, thought maybe I had missed something while inspecting it, and trying to make a duplicate of the good one.Nothing, still wouldn't load. So I just kinda "re-packed" it with SubResync, and like you said, what'd you know, all fine and dandy...!)

If I remember correctly, I also tried to copy the text from the "bad" .srt and replace the text into one that was working. Don't remember if that was successful( give it a try just for play!).

If you find out why VDub spit it out-or if anyone has an explanation, pls. let me know:)!
    Maybe the file was created in WordPad instead of Notepad, I don't know...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  7. Ryutso

Ryutso Member

What do I do when SubResync doesn't want to open the .srt file? New subtitle file btw, but VDubMod wouldn't open it. Tried to open it in SubResync, but even that wouldn't open it.

8. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Any other subtitle program work? Like Subtitle Processor or Subtitle Workshop? Or maybe even Aegisub?

And again, you could try checking it in Notepad.

One of the things could be that the subtitles are ordered wrong, ie. the timing is correct, but it goes something like 1... 2... 500... 3... 4...

This usually happens if someone decides to manually put it in using Notepad and they don't bother to re-order all the subtitles.

I believe most subtitle programs will automatically renumber the subtitles based on their timing. That MIGHT help.

9. Ryutso

Ryutso Member

Subtitle Workshop actually opened the file, but I re-saved it as an SSA file and the filter in VDM still didn't catch it. I'm going to re-save it as an SRT file and see if VDM catches it then.