1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing DVD Covers?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by aut0psy, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Hey

Just wondering what software/program people use to print DVD covers to ensure they are printed the exact correct size to fit in the sleeve of an empty case?

Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I download them here http://www.cdcovers.cc/ and them simply print them off as they're already the right size. My scanner has been gathering dust since I started going to that site :)

Either that or I use PhotoShop Elements to resize the scan to 27cm X 18.3 cm to fit a standard DVD case.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  3. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Alright, thats where I downloaded them from actually so they should be fine when printed?

Thanks!

4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Thats a great site to get them from. I've used it for ages.
    Although sometimes the quality isn't always that great.
    I get better results when I scan them in with my Epson CX3200, save them as jpegs and then size them up with expressit 2.1.
    When I print the covers out I always tick 'best photo' and 'photo enhance' to get the best quality print on the cheapest paper I can find. When the cover is slid behind the plastic it is nice and shiny anyway.

5. john179

john179 Active member

I use the cover design in Nero 6 as it is pretty good.Although i have seen the cover kit at cdcovers.cc i have never tried.Is this better than the Nero 6 cover design.Anyone had any experience with both.
    Thanks
    John179

6. SW20

SW20 Guest

Forget the labels. Go and by an Epson R200 Printer for around $90, get some BeAll or Ritek Printable DVD's and print away. comes out like a real DVD.

7. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Yah but it still doesnt help at ALL when the DVD case is in my rack, just because a label is printed on the DVD itself :).

8. dvdphile

dvdphile Member

here is the way to get exact same size labels...use mediaface labeling software and any scanner to scan the round dvd fronts.... then use microsoft photo editer to crop the pic of the round dvd label and paste in the media face template.... you have to do some calibrating with the media face software but it works perfectly withh the right labels.... i got it to were once i print the label and then stick it on the dvd you can/t tell the difference....

9. actech

actech Regular member

most of the time labels will cause the dvd to become unreadable on most players. just wet it and peel it off. for case covers the right size tape a 3" piece of paper to the back of your photo paper and tell the printer you are using legal size paper then you can print 7.14x10.68 and the printer can still hold on to the paper at the end and give you a full sheet. some of the scans on cdcovers.cc are odd sized but most are correct

10. ActNUp

ActNUp Member

11. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

I use cover xp for all my covers, it has the advantage of being able to adjust the size of the covers in mm, it has never let me down. i usually get my coversfrom covers.cc but daproggers is always my first stop

12. mjkass

mjkass Member

use nero 6 cover designer...works great for me!

13. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

photoshop cs... colour corrected, sharpened and resized to fit exactly into a template i have created

also get some heavyweight matt paper and a good printer and they look like the real thing

of course i use the work printer which is a very high end epson inkjet

14. paphy

paphy Guest

I use Nero 6 for everything ,the cover designer is great so simple to use as is the rest of nero .
    backing up dvd,s is a doddle,never any coasters.

15. john179

john179 Active member

Good on you paphy and i thought i was the only one that used Nero cover design.

16. actech

actech Regular member

question on nero, i used it once and did not like how it printed the circular label page even though i did not use that page. any way to stop that? i liked how it presized unlike photoshop but wasted a sheet of semigloss paper printing a circle on it.

17. john179

john179 Active member

I always use print pre veiw so i do not waste any paper.

18. forkndave

forkndave Member

Yoy can get UndercoverXP at this site. http://jump.to/undercoverxp . It's a free program and it will size the covers for DVD cases and also slimline DVD cases. It also does Jewel case inserts. I've been using slimline cases lately to make more room. This program will automatically skinny up the spline so that it doesn't overlap. I use photo quality ink jet paper, which has similar saturation characteristics as regular photo paper at a much lower price. Also, with the slimline cases you don't have the problem of the label being just a little shorter than you want.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Soyo KT-600 Ultra Platinum, XP 3000+, 1024 MB PC 3200
    160 GB Maxtor SATA, 60 GB Seagate IDE
    Lite-On LDW 411S@811S, Lite-On SOHD 167T, Pioneer A07
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  19. actech

actech Regular member

john/dave
    i used print preview and it still printed the label page. i'll check out undercoverxp. to keep them from being short is why i tape a 3" piece of plain paper to the back side of my cover paper making it 3" longer. then tell your printer you are using legal sized paper and it will then be able to print up to the edge of the cover paper because it has something to hold on to.

20. forkndave

forkndave Member

I use an Epson R300 printer and I don't have to tape anything to the paper to make it longer. It prints the full label whether I use 8.5 X 11" paper or A4 paper. With A4 paper the label doesn't even come close to the edge of the paper. It's just that the labels are just a little shorter than what I would like. I've tried several label programs and different printers, so I guess that's how long they're supposed to be. With the slimline cases, UndercoverXP prints the labels just about the right length. I've had to switch to the thinner cases to avoid having to move out into the yard to make room for all the DVDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.