1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use .sub and .idx files for an .avi video

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by noobdawg, Sep 3, 2004.

1. noobdawg

noobdawg Member

Hello, I have recently got The passion of christ, but I needed subtitles, so I went and downloaded these .idx and .sub files. Does anyone know how I can use them? I also ripped my dvd to 2 700mb avi files.

Thanks!

2. hellonone

hellonone Member

I have the same problem as you, can anyone tell me how to use the .sub and .idx files with .avi ?

3. drkness

drkness Member

lol, I have exactly the same problem. I tried playing the file on BSPlayer but it does not detect the .sub files. They are in the same directory as the .avi files so I don't see what the problem is. I also tried manually loading the .sub files once the .avi file is loaded; no luck.

dRkNeSs

4. drkness

drkness Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  5. hellonone

hellonone Member

I know the K lite codec long time ago, I want to know how to convert .sub and .idx files into .srt or .smi !

6. eyasemak

eyasemak Member

Hello, I have the exactly prob here, I have SUB files but i dont know in which player to play them and how.

Help me please.

7. eyasemak

eyasemak Member

Hello, when i click in the Media Player Center on 'Load Subtitle' to load .Sub file it tells me: "To load subtitle u have to change the video renderer type and reopen the file".
    I dont understand what this means, can someone HELP me??

Thanks.

8. hellonone

hellonone Member

Using Windows media player to play the .avi file, if there are .sub and .idx files with the same name as the .avi file, the sub-titles will be displayed.

However, without the .idx, the .sub file is useless at all. Also I found that the .sub file is much larger than the .srt or .smi file and it is in binary format. I wish there is a way to convert the .sub and .idx into .srt or .smi format.

9. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Everyone: install vobsub, its a directshow filter for subtitles, will automatically play subs in most media players. I believe it is part of the k-lite codec pack.

10. Kingd

Kingd Guest

eyasemak: After installing vobsub, make sure the sub files are the same name as the movie and in the same directory. Just play the movie in windows media player and the subs will show automatically.

11. chibi

chibi Member

does anyone know if there is a similar vobsub or something like that for mac? I am trying to find it but can't find anything. Please help.

12. Kingd

Kingd Guest

I don't know, search google.

13. eyasemak

eyasemak Member

Thanks you all, your help was very usefull.
    Now iam watchin movies with subtitles :).
    Thanks.

14. dnilsson

dnilsson Member

Does anyone know how to make same files work in a stand alone dvd player?

15. eyasemak

eyasemak Member

Hello, I downloaded SVCD movie, 2 folders CD1 and CD2.
    I need help for how I can burn the movie with subtitle that i downloaded it.
    Help please.
    Thanks.

16. eyasemak

eyasemak Member

And i downloaded the suitable subtitle(same version of the movie) name1.sub and name2.sub.

17. mike8000

mike8000 Guest

eyasemak: I have the same problem here, someone help please.

18. cyrex05

cyrex05 Member

you can use VLC player to play these files. It's a free open source media player that runs on both PC and Mac. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/vlc.cfm

Once you install and start the program open the .avi file, and then go to Video/subtitles track and select the one you want.

This worked for me with both the .avi, .idx, and .sub files all named the same and in the same directory.

I hope this helps y'all out!!

Cheers :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  19. Gecko642

Gecko642 Guest

Does anyone know how to burn a disc with IDX and SUB files along with their corresponding AVI so that a standalone player such as the Philips DVP 642 player could play the video with subtitles?

Thanks

20. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Gecko642: Use vobsub to convert it to .srt. The dvp 642 can only play text based subs like .srt. .idx and .sub are not text based files. You can use subresync which comes with vobsub and load the .idx file and then save as and choose .srt format. The only caveat is that you need to type out all the letters that it doesn't identify in the database. Search google for more info.