1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use .sub and .idx files for an .avi video

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by noobdawg, Sep 3, 2004.

1. eyasemak

eyasemak Member

Hello, I know how to convert it, but i dont know how to burn svcd movie on disc with subtitle.
    Please Help, Thanks.

2. eyasemak

eyasemak Member

No need to convert it, i already have 2 image files ready to be burned, my question is: i can add subtitle file to the image file? or i cannot?
    Please help, thanks.

3. touran22

touran22 Regular member

thanks for your help guys worke for me!

4. konnaluck

konnaluck Member

put .avi .sub and .idx in same folder.... play movie by click .avi and enable subtitle ^^ it works for me. hope it help

5. Saadoon

Saadoon Guest

I've tried subResync but it didn't work so any one know an excellent program can convert the idx to srt please.

6. eg404

eg404 Member

Here is your killer answer guys:) Those subtitles you have as .idx and .sub are not text, they are images.. Converting them to text, .srt for example, will be hell because the programs wont be able to do a perfect job and wont recognise some or most characters and will keep showing you pictures of them and asking you to enter the character or multiple characters the picture represents..
    If you have both .idx and .sub files with the same name in the same folder, windows media player should open them.. Mine does.!

7. davexnet

davexnet Active member

8. wolveskin

wolveskin Member

If the .avi file and the .sub are located in the same folder and they both have the same exact name, when you play it using windows media player the subtitles will appear.

9. Thecotton

Thecotton Member

Hi all,

Just a side thought on what I use in this situation, I burn a lot of movies that come in .avi and I use Super DVD creator to convert .avi to VOB and burn! Not to long ago I learned that the program also has a subtitle feature. You have to use .SRT format but it has a drop down menu where you can add the file and then alter font size and color of subs, pretty neat! Here is an example of the standard setup menu [​IMG] Word of advice open the sub menu and check the time stamps on the first few subs and play the AVI in the background to ensure subs match before you burn!!!! I am no expert what so ever and have found Super DVD creator to be pretty user friendly you can also use it to author title menus.
    Hope this helps someone down the road : )

10. kam27

kam27 Member

hey thanx man for telling about the VOB SUB software now i can open my sub , sct files by help of dis software

11. djcorvus

djcorvus Member

A great program I use from time to time is subtitle workshop by URUSoft. It converts to all the different subtitle file formats including changing the FPS, synchronising with the movie in different ways, easy when you learn how but cant be bothered to explain, read the help file. I have VLC too which is a great media player because you dont need any codecs except for maybe an AC3 filter. I made the mistake of not putting the IDX with the sub file and it didnt work but I think it is worth converting to SRT, sorry whoever said otherwise but, I put my cursor over the rar file containing both my SUB & IDX file; it was over 6mb which is huge for a text file at the end of the day. I downloaded an SRT from subscene.com (the best place for subs then I would say opensubtitle.org) and it was 40kb approximately; a massive difference especially if you store loads of em. In subscene.com 9 times out of ten you get the actuall corresponding SRT to the movie file you have eg, axxo or avtv and this saves messing around tweaking the file. If you have to mess about though; I've found subtitle workshop to be the best program so far for synchronising and converting. Lastly, just make sure you rename the srt file to be exactly the same as avi file and it will automatically play with the movie providing they are in the same folder. If you wish to watch the movie without subs then create a sub folder within the movie folder for safe keeping the srt file.

12. djcorvus

djcorvus Member

Sorry guys, just read back another comment and didnt realise that sub and idx files were image files but still, a waste of time I think and so is windows media player, shame you can't unistall the piece of turd, you can only role back to earlier versions, why on earth would I want to do that? lol. VLC is by far the best, I had problems playing mkv (matroska) files downloaded from vuze, the small documentary science ones about 5 mins long. Any video converter professional will convert to avi though and heypresto. Oh!, in subtitle workshop you can painstakingly create your subtitle files if you wish, hope you can touch type if you do, lol. You can save in many different formats, .srt is the most popular though I think.

13. ilazzari

ilazzari Member

I stream my media via PS3 & Tversity. Reading back through the posts about Windows Media Player and subtitled playback..... if I use WMP to stream a movie to my PS3, will it also display the subs?

14. djcorvus

djcorvus Member

I would guess yes actually because although they are two different files; once they are arranged properly in the same folder they open in your media player so then media player is using two files at once (sub file and the video file) during playback. In affect you will be streaming the program which is in itself running your files. How do you do this may I ask? do you locate your I.P through ps3, i've streamed live onto the internet and its been recieved by media player but not the other way around, im just trying to think how that works.

15. warrior14

warrior14 Member

I downloaded TVersity and it works with my xbox 360 but it doesnt have subs when i watch movies on my xbox and i have the same name files of the .avi, .sub, and .idx so i was wondering if you know how to fix this

16. eNaR

eNaR Member

You could/should try PS3 media server which also works with the xBox (limited support - don't know what that really means as I use it on the PS3).

Here's what's said at the web page...

PS3 Media Server
    PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.

Current features
    * Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
    * Real-time video transcoding of MKV/FLV/OGM/AVI, etc.
    * Direct streaming of DTS / DTS-HD core to the receiver
    Remux H264/MPEG2 video and all audio tracks to AC3/DTS/LPCM in real time with tsMuxer when H264 is PS3/Level4.1 compliant
    * Full seeking support when transcoding
    * DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
    * OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
    * Thumbnail generation for Videos
    * You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
    * Simple streaming of formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG)
    * Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
    * ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders
    * Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
    * Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
    * Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
    * * Basic Xbox360 support * *
    * FLAC 96kHz/24bits/5.1 support
    * Windows Only: DVR-MS remuxer and AviSynth alternative transcoder support

17. Clyderice

Clyderice Member

a simple way: I have an ATI All-In-Wonder video card installed. It allows my screen and audio to be outputed to TV, VCR and/or DVD burner. I'm sure there are other ways to do the same thing. I place the AVI, SUB & IDX files in an empty folder bearing the name of the movie. Then right click on the folder, click play with windows media player and record the output on my stand alone DVD recorder/player and watch the movie on my tv at the same time.

The video card has been discontinued but some are still available for purchase on the internet.

18. alyasri

alyasri Member

Hi all
    I solve this problem by
    Format Factory programit's perfect and easy

pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. alyasri

alyasri Member

so sorry
    formatfactory
    v

20. Lossinsp2010

Lossinsp2010 Member

Fantastic Mr. eg404. It works like magic !. Thank you. Now I can watch foreign movies and expand my cultural knowledge. Haha.[/b] [/color][/color][/color][/b]