1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting VOB files to MPEG, AVI, or Another Video Format

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by zpac2388, Sep 16, 2004.

1. zpac2388

zpac2388 Member

I am able to decrypt files using DVD Decrypter and create a folder with VOB files. I would like to take those VOB files and use them to take small scenes from the DVD (using the VOB files) and convert that small scene into MPEG or AVI files so that I can insert them into a Powerpoint presentation. Are there any tools that are available that do that? Is there another way to do this or another format that anyone can recommend? I have tried DVD2AVI but do not know if that is a good program or how to use it properly. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well VOB files are Basicly just Mpeg2 files so if you can use the Mpeg2 format for your presentations then you don"t have to convert them at all just cut out the scenes you want and asve them with a Mpeg extention...
    There are a Few Vob/Mpeg2 cutters that are freeware like "Chopper XP" or "Mpeg2Cut" ..You can find them both if you do a Google search....

You can also use DVD2AVI to convert the files to AVI or better yet you can use "Virtual-Dub-Mpeg2" which you can download here:

Virtual-Dub-Mpeg2
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

Also download and install this:

AC3ACM Decompressor
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/AC3ACM.zip

That makes it to Virtual-Dub can read the audio in Vob files....

Cheers

3. zpac2388

zpac2388 Member

Thanks for the help. I downloaded and installed both suggested pieces of software (Virtual-Dub-Mpeg2 and AC3ACM Decompressor) but when I took about a 15 seconds clip from the movie, it was 320MB. Do you have any instructions on how to use this program and how to make sure that the audio and video synchronize properly? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

When editing in Virtual-Dub you should have the "Video" and "Audio" set to "Direct Stream Copy"..
    If you do not set it to this your Edited File will Be Huge because it is being converted to Uncompressed AVI....Cheers

PS:If you get a Message about the audio being VBR when Loading your AVI file into V-Dub then set the Audio to "Full processing Mode" and the Video to "Direct Stream Copy"....
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  5. zpac2388

zpac2388 Member

Are there guides that explain the complete process, from start to finish, of using these programs? I can get the video to go but the audio is not synchronized. When I choose the Video settings as Direct Stream Copy, I get the following error: "The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy can not be used with this video stream." Any information to where I can find a guide to use DVD2AVI and/or Virtual-Dub-Mpeg2 would be greatly appreciated. I understand that simply renaming a .VOB file to .MPG works, but now I need to only take a small segment of that .mpg file. Thanks in advance for the help.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

I forgot you were trying to cut a Part out of a Mpeg file...Virtual-Dub will not save files in Mpeg format only AVI format...

If you want to cut up a Mpeg/Vob file you have to use a Native Mpeg editor...

There are a couple of freeware ones Like "Chopper XP" so try that one and it should work OK and it is easy to figure out.....

7. zpac2388

zpac2388 Member

I am using Chopper XP to create the VOB file from the segment of the movie that I wish to have. The odd thing is when I rename the extension of the file to .mpg so that I can play it in Windows Media Player 9 or 10, the audio of the file is in French. When I play the movie in Chopper XP it plays in English. Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix this to play the file in English? Sorry for all the questions I just want to learn this. Thanks!

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

I guess I should have told you before that when you rip the DVD to your Hard drive you have to make sure you are only ripping the Video Track and the English audio track...

Remember DVD"s can have up to 8 Languages on them so when Ripping the DVD make sure you only rip the Video and the English audio track to your Hard drive....

Most DVD rippers Like Smartripper and DVD decryptor have setting so you can select what streams get ripped in the Vob file.....

9. sabcollar

sabcollar Member

Just wanted a little help with encoding VOB to AVI. I have extracted a small vob file from a DVD (the Dreamworks intro) and, when I preview input in Virtual Dub - Mpeg 2, it seems to play okay (audio included). However when I save it as an AVI (uncompressed, although I'd usually use xVid) the video is all jumpy (as is the audio).

Can any of you guys suggest why this is the case?

PS I used the version of V Dub and the AC3 decompressor that Minion gave above.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Maybe try useing something else...Like maybe DVD2AVI or even Tmpgenc can encode to AVI or use DVD2AVI and Tmpgenc to convert to AVI....

Why are you wanting to convert to AVI???

11. sabcollar

sabcollar Member

I have tried using DVD2AVI and I have a similar problem. I will give TMPEnc a go as well.

I want to convert to AVI so I can put the files on my xbox HD and play them using media player. My xbox drive is only 80GB and is full of games so I want to keep the movie files around 1GB max.

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Why not just Burn the files to DVD and store them that way instead of keeping them on your Drive???
    Blank DVD"s are Dirt cheap ,even cheaper than CD-r"s..

13. tommich

tommich Member

When I try to burn VOB files onto a blank DVD, I get a message saying "the current file type is not recognized". I tried using the Virtual Dub, but then I got a message saying the file was too big. All I want to do is put these VOB files onto a DVD so I can watch them on a regular DVD Player. Any advice?

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can not Burn a Vob file to DVD and expect it to Play on your DVD player because you need more than Just Vob files...
    You also need to have the IFO and BUP files that corespond to the Vob files so if all you have are VOB files you are going to have to use a DVD authoring Program so you can add menu"s and Chapters and to Format the Vob into a Video_TS folder with VOB,IFO and BUP files in it and then you can Burn the Video_TS folder to DVD in DVD Video mode.....

15. tommich

tommich Member

I actually have the IFO and BUP Files. I wasn't sure what they were. Does this mean I should be able to burn VOB files, or do I still need to do something first?