1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting an Analog Video Source to a Computer

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by turkey, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Nero63

Nero63 Guest

@ jdavis

Check to see that your recording is in an acceptable format that can be played by your playback software, i.e. - .avi, popular with ATI video/tv cards, .wmv/wmp popular with windows, etc. If you're using the same program that came with the tv software, check for the latest updates for the program.

2. bmalik

bmalik Guest

3. bmalik

bmalik Guest

hi
    can not find wiring diagram.
    will appreciate for your
    help.
    thanks

4. wguru

wguru Member

I found KWorld's ($49.95 I think it was) to be my hard and software solution to converting analog video to digital (into DVD/VCD/SVCD). Even affords Direct-Burn's to DVD without any extra HD space.

Includes: slim inline adapter, connection chart, great software for ULead MovieFactory4 and PVR Plus* (TVR for the TV too). Works with VCR's, cable, etc.

http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/index_editing.htm

System rqmts are:

Pentium-IV 1.6GHz or above (2.2GHz recommended)
    256 MB RAM of system memory or above (512MB recommended)
    One available USB2.0 port
    Graphics card (Must support DirectX 9.0c)
    1/8" audio jack (mono or sterio, either works)
    Sound card (AC97 compatible sound card)
    1GB free HD space
    CD-ROM drive (For software installation)
    Microsoft® Windows 2000(SP4) / XP(SP2)

For music, I found (free) Audacity works great for capturing my old cassette tunes, plus it affords readly ripping those pesky iTunes m4p files (ie; simply monitoring the m4p play backs form my iPod and capture/monitoring the iPod's output and then simply exporting them as mp3).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  5. vanmahlin

vanmahlin Member

i cant see the diagram anymore....just comes up at as "link broken"
    and if i click on it, it just takes me to a comcast site.

any help would be nice.

thanks much

-joe

6. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

You might be quicker to give that member who has teh link to wiring diagram a personal message. They may not be subscribed to this thread anymore.

7. auto1234

auto1234 Member

I can not see the diagram ,please can u send it to my email ?
    its auto7890@campus.ie

thanks

8. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

9. Gn2me

Gn2me Member

You guys are confusing me. If the media center pc has red, white, yellow cables (in) can't you just use the tv's red, white, yellow cables (out) and hook em together? With the proper capture card of course.

10. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

With the proper capture card and software as you say it probably should work. At least I don't know why it wouldn't.
    If you have this setup, then give it a go and see.

11. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Huh? What kind of TV has Video Out? Most of the jacks on TVs are inputs. The most common exception would be the occasional audio out.

12. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

Dont know if this thread is dead or not but I have a question hopefully someone will answer.I just bought this pc a few weeks ago it is running Vista Which it has a TV/tuner card with outputs in rear and in the front I have rca jacks.How do i get these RCA's to work so I can save Video's to hard drive Or Run A camcorder off it.I've got the cable working.Im running vista home Prem.The tuner card is a AVERMEDIA M791.I cant even find a option for rca input in media center.Thanks

Also here is the specs if this will help.
    Operating System
    • Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Processor
    AMD Athlon™64 X2 5000+ (dual core)(AMD LIVE!™)
    64-bit processor with AMD64 technology
    Operates at 2.6GHz | 2 x 512KB L2 cache | 2000MHz FSB
    Chipset
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 Memory, Dual Channel
    (2 x 1024MB), 667MHz (PC2-5300)
    Expandable to 4GB
    4 DDR2 slots (total) | 2 DDR2 slots (available)
    Video
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE integrated graphics (up to 128MB shared video memory)
    PCI-Express (PCIe x16) slot available for upgrade
    TV Tuner6
    Analog/digital TV tuner w/ 3-D comb (PCIe)
    Ports: (1) analog TV, (1) ATSC antenna, (1) stereo mini-jack audio, (1) S-Video, plus S-Video to Composite Video Dongle, Vista™ Media Center remote control
    Audio
    8-channel (7.1) high-definition audio
    Amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
    Hard Drive
    500GB SATA II (7200rpm, 16MB cache)
    Optical Drive
    16x DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive
    Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media
    Write max: 16x DVD+/-R, 8x DVD+R DL, 6x DVD-R DL, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW
    Read max: 12x DVD-ROM, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-ROM
    Digital Media Reader
    High-Performance 15-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader up to 40x faster
    xD-Picture Card™, CompactFlash I (CF), CompactFlash II, Secure Digital™ (SD), Mini Secure Digital™ (Mini SD™)7, Multi Media
    Card™ (MMC), Reduced Size MMC (RS-MMC)7, MMC Mobile7, MMC Plus, Memory Stick™ (MS), Memory Stick Duo8, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Pro Duo8, SmartMedia, IBM Microdrive™
    Communications
    56k ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
    10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
    Interfaces
    6 - USB 2.0 Ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
    2 - IEEE 1394 ports (1 front, 1 rear)
    1 - VGA
    3 - Analog inputs (front); Composite Video, left/right stereo audio
    1 - Parallel port
    1 - Serial port
    2 - PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
    6 - Audio (rear): center/sub, rear (stereo), side (stereo), line-in (stereo), front/headphones (stereo), microphone
    2 - Audio (front): microphone, front/headphone (stereo)
    1 - RJ-45 Ethernet port
    1 - RJ-11 Modem Port
    Expansion Slot
    Total Available
    1 - PCI-E x16 1 - PCI-E x16
    1 - PCI-E x1 0 - PCI-E x1
    2 - PCI 1 - PCI

Expansion Bays
    Total Available
    3 - 3 1/2" 1 - 3 1/2"
    2 - 5 1/4" 1 - 5 1/4"
    Gateway Portable Media Drive Bay

Input Devices
    Elite multimedia keyboard
    USB optical two-button wheel mouse

13. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Most TV tuner cards are also capture cards, which you need,plus the software.
    My external USB Tv 2 box has the RCA input plugs and then from there I connect by USB to the computer.
    I have a JVC Dv-r and can connect it by either firewire, usb or rca to usb adaptor. And my VCR I just connect it to my TV box with the rca jacks.

I am not sure what your model is capable of as I can't find it.
    http://www.aver.com/odm/compliance_desktop.html
    A couple good places to read.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/intro.htm
    http://www.videohelp.com/guides/category/capture-articles-9;53#396

Basically then if you have the right card on your pc with RCA jacks in the front, then you must have the software also installed or you need to have it installed, and it should detect it if you plug something in there, and turn it on.

14. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

Basically then if you have the right card on your pc with RCA jacks in the front, then you must have the software also installed or you need to have it installed, and it should detect it if you plug something in there, and turn it on.[/quote]
    Iv'e tried every software I have on here can't find it on nothing.I did find it using nero 8 but when i click the Composite 1 option I just get a gray screen.on the front of my pc it will detect the head phones,mic,just not the rca's.Also i did check to make sure the wires were conected to the tv card.Im gong to try some of those software's from the link you posted and see if they help.Thanks

15. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Did you try the movie maker also in Vista. I have even used it from time to time. But yes try some other software and see if that works.

16. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

Well I guess im SOL Called Gateway After being on the phone with them for a hour they dont know why it wont work,They keep telling me to use a usb conection.I know I can use a usb but I have rca in the front and i'd like to use them.They said that it has to be windows compatible or media center which I find hard to believe.As far as recording vcr stuff they said to record it to DVD then put on pc.lol
    Guess I was better off searching for this on my own threw the forums.Also Movie maker doesnt detect it either.

17. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

18. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

YA iv'e got a dvd express kit,I was hopeing I didnt have to use that anymore,would like to do more things like run a xbox threw it camcorder etc.I find it hard to believe that i can plug my camera into my tv's front jacks and all plays fine but a pc running all the latest crap onit can not.Ill look into a diff card like you suggested.And ya no freaking manuals,They wanted to charge me an extra 30 dollars for a backup cd,Worse case I dl it, use the sticker cd key thats on my pc.I bought this pc at best buy.

19. rocox25

rocox25 Member

I have the SAME problem!!! How come i cant use the input RCAs on the front of my gateway? I have a analog video camera, and it doesn't have firewire, only rca to watch it on tv. i want to capture the video on my pc through the rca inputs....but no luck!

20. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

As long as your video card, like 2005-2007 ATI brand, comes with video capture SW it should be OK. Video cards normally only output video signal, they do not have the firmware or built-in codecs to capture video.

i have seen Dazzle Platinum used for capturing from DVD player or tv with excellent results. If you have $$, buy this. do NOT buy the Dazzle dvd recorder. It cheaper, but worse quality results even with high end PC.

my friend took this video with Dazzle Platinum >>>