1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying Doom 3 to a single 4.7GB DVD

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by D3xblade, Oct 17, 2004.

1. OKIE

OKIE Regular member

YES FURMAN SK IAM HAVING A PROBLEM TRYING TO BACK UP THE THREE DISK DEAL TO ONE AS YOU MENTION I DONT UNDERSTAND DELETING TWO FILES AND SAVING ONE WHEN THERE ARE FOUR LINES IN THE ORCA LIST OR MEDIA MODE.COULD YOU TELL ME HOW YOU DID IT?BACKING UP DOOM3 TO ONE DISK.IAM GOING BACK TO DRINKING COFFEE WITH ALL THESE COASTERS. THANKS

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Let's avoid the all caps ;)

3. furmanSK

furmanSK Member

Yeah umm my friend when he opened it up in Orca program he just named all the volume names to Doom3 and so it worked. Idk if it does it yet i havent tried it but i took his word on it k.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  4. venom88

venom88 Member

Hello, I have been having a problem with my Doom 3 DVD Copying. I did all the steps mentioned in Orca, but I found 4 lines of stuff in the Media Table. When I try to run Doom 3's install, after I put a cdkey, it brings up an error about an internal error in game00.pk4 and stops the install. I am running Windows XP if you need to know.

5. OKIE

OKIE Regular member

you didnt get all your files from the disk to your base directory like 00game or what ever it was.

6. D3xblade

D3xblade Guest

Hi, There everyone.
    Sorry I have not been able to reply to the threads as I have been on vacation.

I can see many people wanting to backup there doom3 game to dvd now. When I originally started this thread there was nobody who seemed interested.

Anyhow any probs out there folks with your doom 3 backups and I can help you out.

Look forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers. D3Xblade

7. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Hey man i just finished backing up my doom3 to dvd and the game wont load when i run it should i reinstall it from the dvd?

8. FartDude

FartDude Guest

I forgot too mention whenever i run the game i get the error message asking to insert disc 1

9. Scorpion9

Scorpion9 Member

I am not able to edit the cells with orca. What am I doing wrong.

I'm running win 2k Pro.

10. furmanSK

furmanSK Member

Hey yeah if you can't edit the cells then you have to right click on the file and go to properties and make sure that its not "read only" cause if that's checked then you won't be able to edit it. And i was wanting to know how would you go about putting other games on to dvd cause i have Far Cry and its 5 disc long and its a pain to have to put a disc in over and over. If any knows please help out. Thanks.

11. Scorpion9

Scorpion9 Member

should I be able to install doom after making the asjustments to the msi file from the hard disk?

I have been trying to do this to check to see if my modifications to the msi file worked but keep getting errors after putting the coed key in. Will it only install from a cd?

Should the volume label on the cd be the same as the msi file name or the same as the volume label in side the msi file?

I also have 4 files not 3.

12. furmanSK

furmanSK Member

Umm no you can't install it from hard drive if you edit the msi file i think. And yes i there are 4 files and just change the vol. name to whatever your vol. name of your dvd is gonna be. And i think it should work. Im workin on copying Far Cry to dvd cause its 5 disc and i think i figured it out. But i still dont know if Doom 3 worked yet cause its at my friends house and he said he thinks he figured it out.

13. Scorpion9

Scorpion9 Member

okay,

I was able to get things working, I just had to put all the .pk4 files in setup/data/base and just changed the volume labels on the msi to "doom 3" for all 4 files.

I was able to install the game frome the hard disk after the above changes were made so I but=rned the dvd and made its volume name "doom 3" as well.

I havent tested the dvd yet but will on monday at work.

note:
    I had to use the no cd fix after the install from my hard disk.

14. D3xblade

D3xblade Guest

yo, dudes.
    just to let you know when editing the doom3 msi files.
    If you misunderstood my tutorial it does say that you should delete one of the volume labels, which is the last volume label in the table. remember to change the last volume labels digits to the first volume label shown in the table and leave the 2nd and 3rd as they are then save the main volume label as either doom3 or something and remember to name your backup as this very volume name or it will not recognise the dvd as the game. remember to save the msi file before backing up doom3.

you shouldn't have many probs after this. If so just let me know dudes.

Cheers D3Xblade

15. b0yjones

b0yjones Guest

Hello @ll,

I just joined after viewing this thread, lots of great info.
    I don't play Doom3, but I do play Tribes Veagenace, which I just purchased, and it is 4 cds and also has an *.MSI on the first cd to start the installation. Is it possible to merge these 4 cdrs onto a DVD?
    -h0lla back

16. b0yjones

b0yjones Guest

I realize that everyone is busy... so Im going to go ahead and expeierment and see if I can get it all to install off of a DVD using some of my personal knowledge and possibly some of the instrucitons allready posted.
    --------------------------
    I failed.... so please could someone help, I dont know what information you need to help but please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2004
  17. Miami84

Miami84 Member

Hello. I did everything that you stated, I just can not get to the part when you have to install that orca. That is real confusing, what are you supposed to download. I downloaded all parts 1-13 and saved them to my disc using Firefox. I have no clue to set it up. Otherwise the directions are great just wierded out with this program. Someone please help, and thanks for your time.
    Miami84

18. mac53

mac53 Guest

Miami...

First you need to extract the thirteen .cab files to just one folder. After you do that just double click the .msi setup and you'll be on your way.

Need any more specifics, just let me know.

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2004
  19. mac53

mac53 Guest

My thanks goes out to DX3blade for his/her initiating this thread.

For you folks that still are having problems with modifying the Doom 3 msi, I post this reply...

Here is the modification that has worked for me...

Edit with ORCA..., I will name each section with caps, (hoping I don't violate any forum rules).

COMPONENT - Top row - "Ereg", right click and drop-row.

CREATEFOLDER - Top row - "Ereg", right click and drop row.

FILE - "Pay close attention here"... Top row - "Ereg", right click and drop row. Notice at the end of each row there is a number, this is the execution sequence that the installer follows. Now we have to renumber all the sequences in this section. Notice that after dropping the top row that there is no sequence 1! What we have to do is to change this. To do this, you MUST reduce each sequence number, by 1 (one). Example... Sequence # 2 becomes sequence #1, #3 becomes #2, #4 becomes #3 and so on. Continue to do this all the way down this section until you reach the final sequence, where #105 becomes #104. DO NOT change the sequence order, just reduce each one by 1 (one) number.

MEDIA - Right click and drop the top 3 (three) rows. Rename the #4 (four) entry as I have here...

[1] [104] [Doom 3 Disk 1] [Doom3]

Notice that the "Last Sequence" number 105 is changed to 104 to match the last sequence in the "Media" section. This must be done.

After you have performed these changes...close and save these changes to your msi. Make sure you have copied all the gamepaks from your other two disks into the [Doom3/Setup/Data/Base] folder before trying to install.

I have tested this change...I installed the game straight off of my hard drive and the installation went as smooth as glass. I created an .iso [CD-DVD Image file] and burnt to DVD using Nero6. I haven't tried the DVD installation, yet! But I do know that the game installed great right off of my hard drive.

Always remember...if you mess up on modifying your msi, you can always copy another one off of your Doom3 Disk1 and try again, but if you follow these instructions as I have here, I'm confident that you won't have any problems. If you do...you can always send me a pm and I'll try to help you figure it out.

20. b0yjones

b0yjones Guest

Can someone help me with Tribes Vengeance, its 4 CD's.