1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need the software plit the DVD9 movie into two DVD5

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by cecilia, Nov 3, 2004.

1. cecilia

cecilia Guest

Dear my friends,

I need to buy the software that it split succesfully DVD9 into 2 DVD 5, because I don't want to compress DVD9. Please help me

Thank you

cecilia

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there cecilia, welcome to AD,

There's a bunch to choose from - DVDFab ($$$) will do it all for you with just a single step. DVD Shrink can do it also and it's free.

For the top of the line, the brand new Dual Layer burners are available from $69.00 and up - almost all of them well under $100.00 (USD). They are backwards compatiable meaning, they can do a super job on regular DVD's and they can burn the new Dual layer discs too. 2 layers on 1 disc, zero compression.

Almost all the programs on the market are capable of burning just the movie (no trailers or extras) and probably 80% of today's movies, when trimmed of the extra stuff can be copied without any compression.

I suggest you "romp" around the forums, this one is good, and read some of the threads - you'll learn so much so quickly we'll have you back here to give guest lectures :)

Cheers,

Pete

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

cecilia

Like Pete said, DVD Shrink can split a type 9 into two type 5 discs and it's free.

4. cecilia

cecilia Guest

Dear member,

Thank you very much for your help.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You're welcome Cecilia, but it's not time to leave just yet, hang out iffin you have the time, snoop around to some of the other forums, checkout the "Safety Valve", there's usually something in the "Wacko" category going on there -

Always feel free to stop back here at "Newbie Central" and pickup a few more pointers or tricks to make your computer work a bit easier -
    (NO, somebody isn't coming by your house to type for you. He's booked up until June, 2009) I was suggesting something in the line of a shortcut we may have come up with (it happens from time to time) OR a new proggy you might want to try - Ya never know . . . .

We'll lQQk for you later, OK ?

Till then,

Sea Ya - - -

Pete :D)

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Hey Pete! As it turns out, Google gave me a site that still hosts the freeware version of DVDFab. I've had a freeware version for quite a while, but have never used it. Is it worth it's disc space?

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Is DVDFab worth the space ?

IMHO, No -

But for FREE ? What the heck -

8. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Thanks for the info Pete. I've had it on my PC for a couple months but never bothered using it. I was hoping to encounter someone with a little knowledge about it. Guess I should of realized it's value being as this is the first thread I've encountered mentioning it.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I've used it -

It's like the original DVD XCopy.

Movie only on 1 disc OR Entire disc on 2 discs were your only choices the last time I used it. Very little control, kind of a "1-click" proggy as XCopy was back in the day -

As I said, it wasn't,"My Cup of tea."

Cheers,

Pete

10. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Yeah I do like more control over how my videos will turn out. Looks like the recycle bin is calling....

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh, heh, You go Guy - :)

12. brobear

brobear Guest

zippyd
    If you don't mind the time and control is the name of your game, then you should check out the RB/CCE threads. It takes some time, but you can't get much better with encoded backups than this.

13. bruceb3

bruceb3 Member

Hey Scuba,

I've been using DVD Shrink for 6 months now and it's great. With the extras stripped out I can get most backups on 1 dvd with no or very little compression. The only thing I miss from DVD X Copy was burning long backups to 2 dvd's w/ no compression. From this thread I take it that its possible to do the same with DVD Shrink? How? Thanks! :)

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there bruceb3, welcome to aD,

Sure that's not only possible but it's easy too.

Head over to DVD Shrink's re-Author button and use this guide - -

http://www.dvdshrink.info/splitting-v2-3.php

Cheers, Buddy and let me know how you make out -

Pete

15. zippyd

zippyd Active member

brobear,
    I have played once or twice with RB and QuEnc. I honestly don't allow myself enough time to try CCE. Heck, I still haven't gotten around to fiddling with nero yet.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

zippyd
    Unfortunately you went with QuEnc first. Though RB will work with other programs, it is best with CCE. Vurbal wrote a great guide here on AD for setting up the RB.

'Pete did a good job discussing and pointing out the splitting options. Those guides he pointed out by ddlooping at DVDShrink.info get even the beginner off to a good start. The reason I mentioned RB in this thread is because it is an excellent alternative to splitting movies to 2 discs. Below is a bit of info on the RB/CCE.

We have found that it is best to go ahead and purchase the retail version of CCE Basic for the setup. Everything else is free. The Basic trial has limited output so that won't work and the SP trial has to be set up differently and the SP trial has a watermark. So, the video produced has an annoying mark to keep you from just using a trial without purchasing. Just threw in that info if you decide to try RB/CCE someday.

I use RB/CCE for the big movies that require a lot of compression. It's about a 2 to 3 hour process, but the movie you end up with is truly comparable to the original. The $58 CCE Basic uses the same encoding process as the $2000 SP program. Basic doesn't have all the bells and whistles of SP, but for use with RB it is a great buy.

I'm not trying to sell you on this. It does take a bit more than beginner know how to set up. Once going though, it is simple to use. I just noticed you said you liked control of your recording options to get the best results. With RB/CCE the results are good enough that one can compress on one disc and get a great copy instead of the hassle of recording to 2 discs. I just thought I'd mention the option. Good luck.

BTW, since you mentioned Nero, you should check it out as much as possible, great recording suite; especially since the 6.6 upgrades. (A lot of people don't load the InCD packet writing software because it has been known to cause DVD recording problems. It's separate in the suite, so it can be deleted or just not installed.)

You'll need a decrypter like DVD Decrypter or driver type like AnyDVD to use with the Recode2 in Nero. That's a good recording app to. A bit of trivia info here; the author of DVD Shrink is now working for Nero. So if you see some similarities between Shrink and Recode2 it may not be by accident.

With AnyDVD as the decrypter, I burned a 4.1GB movie in about 20 minutes burning at 4X using Nero Express (Fist Full of Dollars). The fast time was because no encoding was required and AnyDVD allowed the movies files to be copied directly to the Express folder. Now that is a nice option. Anything over 4.37 GB has to be transcoded/shrunk (Shrink, Recode2, or similar app) or recorded with Dual Layer.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2004
  17. zippyd

zippyd Active member

brobear,

I tried QuEnc because of it's price :). I was pleased with the resulting quality but had issues with sound out of synch. I really am content "at the moment" with the control that Shrink allows.

As far as splitting to 2 discs, It's not a method that I often do. I generally make my backups main movie only unless my kids make requests as far as what they want on their copy. Then I toy around with the options in Shrink to get them the best video quality that Shrink is capable of.

I do agree that Denis' site is a great place for information on Shrink and I often refer people to it for solutions to problems in the Shrink forum.

As far as Nero goes, I haven't felt the need to use it. I started AD using dial up and hated the thought of downloading updates every month. So I went out and bought the next Shrink compatible burning app-Copy to DVD.

I have been toying with the idea of using nero sometime so I can be more involved in helping solve problems here at AD. It seems everyone has a question about shrink and nero.

I actually only jumped in on this thread because Pete had mentioned DVD Fab and he was the first that I had heard to speak of it. I know that it's supposed to be easy to use to split your movie, and I am contemplating this with my Lord Of The Rings, but I didn't know if I should use Shrink or dust off the DVD Fab icon on my desktop. So I got his (usually)respected opinion and have made my decision to trash Fab.

Thank you for your input and insight.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  18. cecilia

cecilia Guest

dear menber,

I did the splitting using Shrink and nero succesfully to split DVD9 into two DVD5.
    CECILIA
    Thank you very much for your help

19. bruceb3

bruceb3 Member

Hey Scuba, thanks for the info about splitting a dvd into 2 disks. The only problem is, my dvd shrink version is 3.2 and doesn't have "start/end" next to "reauthor". The guide is for version 2.3. It says you can download it at dvd shrink.org but 2.3 isn't there. Any idea where I can get it?
    Bruceb3 :)

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi cecila,

We're glad that you're doing well but that doesn't mean it's time for you to up and Ski-dattle - this is a give and take kind of a deal - we had fun helping you, now, the next time, you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you'll have a chance to "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're NOT having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler, under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be lQQking for you -

Sea ya soon,

Pete

bruceb3,

The guide is a "tad" behind but you want to stay with version 3.2.15.

Once you have gone into re-author and moved the movie (Title 1.) from the right side to the left, under the "DVD Complilation" heading then directly to the right, at the same level as the "DVD Compilation" heading, you'll see an "Up" / "Down" arrow, a delete "X" and then a "start" / "Finish" arrow. Click that and your window will come up for you to use -

Now, Go get'em and enjoy yourself :)

Pete