1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insert subtitles in DivX movie

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by dvmarques, Dec 30, 2004.

1. dvmarques

dvmarques Guest

Hello,
    I want to know how can I insert the subtitles directly in a divx movie, so I can see it without having to insert manually the subtitles.

Thanks in advance.

2. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Do you have subtitle .srt files? Or is it a movie you converted from DVD? We need some more info before our help can become useful.

3. Dadagori

Dadagori Member

Hello,

I have the same problem...I have this AVI movie (Xvid codec) and I have its subitles (SUB format). I can use BSPlayer to play it on my computer but since I've bought a DIVX player for using with my TV I need to have the subtitles inserted in the movie.

Please, help me as soon as possible,
    Really thanks,
    Take care.
    Ricardo.

4. projektor

projektor Member

What divx player do you have?

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

There's a small guide in the guide section. I also wrote a new, detailed guide for this (did you read my 'sticky' post?), PM me (don't post it!) your e-mail and I'll send it.

6. infringer

infringer Member

Try using AutoGK www.autogk.net

enjoy

-infringer-

7. sleuthkid

sleuthkid Member

hi all and especially daemonzx6,

i came across u saying whether we have .srt files...
    i have that file, is altogether 3 .srt files. wat am i suppose to do with them? actually i wanted to insert it into the movie file, so that when i watch the movie, i can see the subtitles as well. as for me, i dont want to convert the movie into dvd. so wat am i to do? i really appreciate anyone's help. feel free to reply. thanks.

8. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

If you just want to play the videos on your computer, then it is easy. Make sure each video file and the corresponding .srt file have the exact same name except for the extension of course. (eg: video01.avi, video01.srt) And then you can play them back in Winamp, BS Player, or in a different player and you should be able to see the subtitles. All you have to do is open the .avi file and the subtitles are somehow scanned for in the directory by the DirectShow filters.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  9. projektor

projektor Member

Are we talking about software or hardware players here?

In any case, since none of you specified exactly what player you're having problems with: if using BSPlayer, right click on the player and click on Subtitles..., from there you will be able to load srt files.

Hardware players: all of them are different, Philips DVP640: navigate to the srt file on the disk, select it, press the SUBTITLE (...) button on the remote, "Divx subtitle selected" message will appear, select and play the avi and that's it.

10. Dadagori

Dadagori Member

People, you seem to not understand our questions...

Once more, please forget about the hardware or BSplayer or whatever.

Then, all we want to know is to insert those subtitles (srt, sub, txt, whatever) into an already created AVI movie. For example, if I have Finding Nemo as an AVI movie and separately I have its subtitles (in any of the known formats)...how do I get just only ONE file (AVI)??? How do I insert PERMANENTLY the subtitles in the AVI movie? (I don't want to make a VCD or SVCD or anything like that).

I hope I made it clear now,
    Thank you for your help,
    Rikardo.

11. sleuthkid

sleuthkid Member

well as dadagori has said, we just want to know how we can play the movie file at the same time having the subtitles along. i have change the name where the .avi and the subtitle .srt file bearing the same name. but when i start playing the .avi file, stil i cant see the subtitles. wat do u mean by opening the .avi and .srt file together? just lay out the steps for us so that we are clear about it. thanks for your help. all i want is just when i click the movie file i wanted, the subtitles came out with the movie together when i play it.

12. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

I have never tried this, so I can only guess as to what to do. I know of a program called VobSub, but I don't know what it does. I will try it later and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I will find out what does and post here.

13. sleuthkid

sleuthkid Member

thanks. the vobsub u said, is it a software? oh no...have to install another s/w puposely to insert the subtitle?? anyway, thanks daemonzx6. wil be waiting for your reply.

14. mylinh

mylinh Member

Hi,
    I'd like to insert subtitles directly in a divx movie: how can I do?
    I've got srt file and i'd like to watch this directly to my TV.
    I'd like to erase subtitles from divx movie and replaced by this srt file: is it possible?

15. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Aha! It is as I suspected. VobSub is part of this process. You will also need VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod. All of these are available on AfterDawn, just click on them and it will take you to it's download page. Once you have them, go here for a guide on the subbing process: http://divxstation.com/article.asp?aId=100

Hope to see how it works!

16. mylinh

mylinh Member

Hi,
    I've got a problem when I open My avi file.
    There's a following message:
    couldn'nt locate decompressor for format xvid
    Virtualdub requires a video for windows compatible codec to decompress video.Directshows codecs, such as used by windows media player are not suitable.
    thanks for your help

17. sleuthkid

sleuthkid Member

hey guys! ^_^
    BINGO!!! I got it at last! It's really that simple. Now i can watch my movies with those subtitles. hahaha...hope u guys can watch it as well. Cheeerss..

18. sleuthkid

sleuthkid Member

hey guys! ^_^
    BINGO!!! I got it at last! It's really that simple. Now i can watch my movies with those subtitles. hahaha...hope u guys can watch it as well. Cheeerss.. Thanks to all who help out, especially to daemonzx6.

19. sleuthkid

sleuthkid Member

hey guys! ^_^
    BINGO!!! I got it at last! It's really that simple. Now i can watch my movies with those subtitles. hahaha...hope u guys can watch it as well. Cheeerss.. Thanks to all who help out, especially to daemonzx6.

20. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member