1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E85H error U99

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by K2SMN, Jan 4, 2005.

1. jpoe

jpoe Member

jmsynge,

What then are you suppose to do? I guess use it as a $500.00 paperweight. I mean, if the unit locks up constantly to the point that you have to do a reset 2 or 3 times a day is that our problem or theirs? If you spend $59.95 on something that's almost something you'd say "the hell with it" but at $500.00+ I think something should be done to satisfy their customers.

2. JonStL

JonStL Member

Although new to the DMR-E85H (2 weeks or so), I already have had several lock ups including, last night, a dreaded unrecoverable U99 error. I was able to exchange for another E85H today. After thoroughly studying all the material written here and anywhere else I could find, I decided to download and run Roger's Panasonic firmware. If such might help at all so I don't lose a HDD full of info. again, great.

Alas, my efforts failed!

Here's what I did. Clicked on the download link on Roger's dxcc page. It downloaded a zip file onto my Windows 2000 machine. Winzip automatically opened the file revealing PANA_DVD.FRM. I extracted that to a temporary directory. That file I copied onto a brand new CD which I then "made compatible" so such could be read other than in just my PC.

I stuck that CD into my new 85H ... and ... nothing. It didn't say it was an invalid disk. The DVD light flashed. But no effect. I tried loading the DVD starting with the machine off, starting with it on, several times, nada.

Before doing all that, I ran the servicemode checks and found that my brand new machine was built eons ago (March 04) with firmware versions: 0850DL, 0110DC, and J117. Just in case the DVR processed the download file faster than I expected, I have checked these again, and they are unchanged.

Any thoughts? Thanks all.

3. chump05

chump05 Guest

Just to follow up...it took a few days after I ran the upgrade for the TV Guide to download (just bad timing with the epg service, and I might have been rushing it. You definitely want to give it more than 24 hours without turning it on ). I had many lock ups until it finally downloaded some info but my machine has been running great for the last two weeks. As for the firmware, I used Nero/create a data cd/close session(disk) - the E85 recognized it right away.

4. jpoe

jpoe Member

JonStL,

What were you doing to get the '99 error? None of the machines I had (4) did that...I just get the occasional green screen or the "plain lock-up". I did the firmware and it seems to be working ok, although it locked up tonight for my wife. Interestingly, 90% of the lockups happen with her doing something with the machine. The latest unit I have is a march '04 too. Try leaving it off for a day (I know it's hard to do) or so and let the tv guide info build up. I actually had a full week of guide info until the lockup tonight. Good Luck!

5. JonStL

JonStL Member

jpoe -- you touch on 3 matters: 1) what generated the U99, 2) the firmware upgrade, and 3) guide-loading ...

(1) I was doing a high speed dub from HDD to DVD. I had never done a "divide". But, I have been using the machine a lot the last couple weeks.

Mostly, I had used the DVR to record movies from TV. I edit each by dividing such up into chapters (designating where commercial breaks start and stop), and then deleting the resulting commercial-only chapters. Then, the movie-only chapters which remain I then high-speed dub to a DVD. It was while doing such that the error occurred.

(2) I seem to be the only person for whom the firmware upgrade failed to work. I'm fairly certain I created the CD properly, although I do not use the "Nero" software others do. I've made many CDs in the past (music and data), and the single file I put onto this CD is the .frm file (not the .zip file).

(3) The guide info loading hasn't been an issue for me, but thanks for the advice.

6. jpoe

jpoe Member

JonStl,

From what I've read in a couple of forums it sounds like the splitting of your show is the cause. I generally record and burn without cutting out commercials or dividing and I'm guessing that's why I haven't experienced this problem. At any rate, it's something you should be able to do without returning the unit.

Just noticed that Panny has put the e85 back on their website as they said they would in the "1st week of April". I'm betting they pulled the older models to fix these problems (at least I hope). Problem is without a source of new firmware updates, there's no way to fix bugs that previous updates didn't fix.

7. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

jpoe Wrote:

I don't think so. I have done literally hundreds of shows and movies using divide chapters with no problem. I've left the machine unattended for 14 days and it worked fine, recording over 100 hours--which I then edited using chapter divide. No problem.

All of this is *after* upgrading the firmware. Before, I got Green-screen lockups.

As for a wife causing lock-ups, I've hear on other forums for other Guide+ based machines that hitting the buttons too fast locks them up. Wait for a function to finish before hitting another button. If the wife in question is anything like my ex, it's impatience that kills the machine (and marriages ;).

I now have a new E-95HS and guess what? I JUST GOT MT FIRST GREEN-SCREEN LOCK-UP!!!

Does anyone know of a firmware fix for it?

bob

8. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

9. jpoe

jpoe Member

videobob wrote:
    "I don't think so. I have done literally hundreds of shows and movies using divide chapters with no problem. I've left the machine unattended for 14 days and it worked fine, recording over 100 hours--which I then edited using chapter divide. No problem."

Could be, I know the only "99" error that I got came from doing a chapter divide. This just happened recently, only once and when I was dividing.

I, recently, locked the machine up and I'm sure it was because I was in a hurry and was hitting the buttons too fast. Knowing my wife, this is a reason why it seems to lock up more for her.

Overall, the unit has been working well. Although, last week I got the green screen lock-up several times in one day. I could see the guide info was very fragmented. I did a reset and it would work for a short while and then lock again. I unplugged it for a half hour or so, plugged it back in and let it go through the boot process and it's worked fine since. Also, I have it set to record from 2:00am to 3:00am and find that this limits the amount of guide info. If I remove this schedule, tv guide seems grab more info. I've also noticed a guide download somewhere between 10:00am and 10:45am. This may be Comcast specific.

Cheers

10. chump05

chump05 Guest

Still no u99 errors since the upgrade, but I get a LOT of green screen TV Guide lock-ups. Have to hold the power button for ten seconds to turn off machine. Still get green lock ups most times when it comes back. Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't automatically go to the guide screen when you turn it on (when using as DVR, not dvd).
    As for the TV guide download, I don't think it has to do with Comcast. I believe it rides in the broadcast signal that the cable company receives from whichever feed. In my case, Pana customer support said it was coming down from PBS (guess it depends on the dma you live in). They believe that info is getting corrupt...so it doesn't fall on them as their problem. Ultimately they see the EPG as a bonus feature. But if it's locking up my recorder - I think that's a problem.

11. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

No you don't. Go to the "Setup" menu that's on the same menu bar as Listings, Schedule, and Sort. I think it's the last one on the right--you have to scroll to see it. The last choice is Options. You turn off automatic Listings there.

bob

12. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

Just for clarification, were you definitely doing *chapter* divide, rather than the Divide Title on the first menu?

bob

13. cachirro

cachirro Guest

Hello.

I just bought the Panasonic DMR-E85H and can't find nothing about it on the official sites, damn these people.

I was reading about peopple gettting erros, and that this new firmware could solve them.

The thing is that i can't get my drive to update, it has the firmware 950. I recorded the new one on a dvd-r and on a cd-rw and nothing happen both times.

Can anyone please help me making this upgrade?

Thanks a lot.

14. E85H

E85H Member

try a cd-r

15. cachirro

cachirro Guest

i did, doesn't works either.

I found out that the firmware ain't for my country, only for americas, so that's why it says unsupported.

is there any new firmware for europe???

16. mconeal

mconeal Member

Just thought I would update. Been about a month since I upgraded the firmware. No TV guide lockups yet (although I went 4 months without having the first one). I found that if you don't select a TV guide channel that it will occassionally ask you again, at which point it will refuse to record anything until you select something. I finally got annoyed with this and picked the correct channel but have still limited the channels it downloads to about 10. So far so good. Running like a champ.

17. cabbott

cabbott Member

I upgraded to the new firmware about 3 weeks ago and haven't had a freeze since. I was getting 2 or 3 per week just trying to access the library of recorded material. I don't use the divide function but do use the TVguide extensively.
    My operating system is WindowsXP home edition and I used the windows cd writing software to make the upgrade cd. I popped in the CD, switched to DVD mode and the machine took over from there. Fortunately I have never experienced the u99 error.

Does anybody know what brand of Hard Disk is in the e85h or will any 120 gig drive work?

18. E85H

E85H Member

Mine had a Samsung SV1203N in it. I have read posts that indicated other brands were used. I was able to use maxtors and western digitals as replacements.

Note: No method has yet been found to allow the recorded content to be saved after swapping out the hard disk and formatting the new one. The old one won't work again until it is also formatted.

19. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

Actually, [bold]any[/bold] ATA (IDE and EIDE) drive will work--incuding the new 400 GB ones. 160s and 250s are quite affordable. Tiger Direct has a Western Digital 250 for $99.00 after rebate.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...HD-2500BB&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM880QQ

Just remember--once you pull your old drive, all contents are GONE.

bob

20. K2SMN

K2SMN Member

Yes, any IDE drive will work, but anything larger than 120 GB will be treated as 120 GB. An 80 GB will be 80 GB of course. I do not suggest changing your drive unless your machine is permanently stuck in the "U99" error. Then, after installing the new drive (and formatting the new drive), apply the firmware upgrade. This definitely fixes the "U99" bug. Remember also, this firmware upgrade is for USA ONLY!!!

Good Luck,
    Roger