1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDex/Lame Settings

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dfjdk, Feb 3, 2005.

1. dfjdk

dfjdk Member

Hello,
    I'm trying to set up CDex 1.51 for a friend, because it is easier to understand than EAC. I added the Lame 3.96 DLL and it works fine. I just can't figure out how the CDex settings will interact with the Lame presets. I definitely want Lame to do its thing according to the presets, like in EAC-- but will the min/max bitrate boxes, on the Encoder settings tab, override or affect the presets? I know how this works in EAC, where you can specify command-line settings, but the process isn't as transparent in CDex (which is why I am using it in this situation, but still!). Thank you.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I have the 1.50 beta 7 version, and you don't need to install lame externally. it comes with lame 3.92 already in it. just select lame encoder from the encoder drop down menu. Also, EAC is not that much more complicated that cdEX. Once you get it set up they are virtually identical. EAC makes MUCH better mp3s. We have a guide here that has step-by-step instructions on how to setup EAC with LAME.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

CDex is great program I use a lot.
    Must get newest Lame 3.96.1, copy lame_enc.dll into CDex.
    All the presets are there, on Options > Settings > Encoder > Quality they are all listed as alternatives to Q=0.
    EAC doesn't make 'MUCH better MP3s' or I would be using it :)
    Lame is making the MP3 anyway...
    If people wish to use EAC, fine but don't be puttin' down CDex.
    Visit the CDex homepage
    http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I'm not putting down CDex, its a great program, and I used it for years before I found EAC. All I'm saying is that EAC is the only program that has error correcting to make sure it does a 100% accurate rip from the CD. I had several scratched or dirty CDs, and when ripping with CDex or other programs, there would be horrible distortions in them. But if CDex works fine for you, than kudos. It was just a suggestion.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Does anybody use [bold]AudioGrabber[/bold] anymore (its free now)? Its a nice CD ripper that is comparable to CDex and EAC.

Link to AudioGrabber (home):
    http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

Ced

6. dfjdk

dfjdk Member

Thanks for the replies. I like EAC, too-- don't get me wrong. I want to make CDex get as close to EAC in quality as I can, for a less computer-saavy friend (who is used to CDex and doesn't want to switch. CDex is prettier and has fewer menu options, so it's less intimidating). To clarify some, I did install the latest Lame DLL in the CDex 1.51 folder, and I am using it with the internal option, not the external, to rip.
    What I don't understand is this: in EAC, if you use "--alt-preset standard", it doesn't matter what you enter into EAC's "bitrate" option box, or the "high/low quality" radio buttons. EAC just ignores them. But what about in CDex? I don't want to screw up the optimized values of the preset. Do you know what I mean? Kind of a fine point, in a way. I'm hoping the options won't work, really-- I trust the collective over my own flawed senses! Thanks again.

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Kewl :)
    I got onto CDex cause it had the best CDDA extraction I could find - so EAC is even better?
    I usually run CDex on 2-hour WAVs these days, to make 2-hour VBR MP3s (because the #%$& two-channel AC3 has Director's comments :)
    When you select the Presets, some things become greyed out...
    But I think if you modify settings (like bitrates) then you become on the Modified Preset plan, and your changes WILL be incorporated.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea, Maximum PC gave [bold]EAC[/bold] a "Softy Award" for excellence. It works more like a disc recovery tool than a CD ripper allowing the creators to guarantee perfect copies every time you rip, even on badly damaged discs!

Ced