1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anaconda04 from Utopia Boots Dvd-R on unmodded Gamecube

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by L-Burna, Feb 21, 2005.

1. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yes this is the news very nice to see this which is cool for the people that don't have the Viper modchip.I went and started reading about this at the dextrose forum,and alot of users have said it doesn't work.I am still skeptical about this,but a tutorial has been brought up at maxconsole with the .dol file and guide to help set this solution up.The direct link to where I found the guide for this solution is here http://forums.maxconsole.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3893 by PHiSQuaRE.Good job to PHiSQuaRE on the guide and also supplying the tools to get started on this solution.

The tutorial by PHiSQuaRE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    USING THE ANACONDAO4 v0.2
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by: PHiSQuaRE

Things you will need:

- A Gamecube
    - An ORIGINAL copy of Phantasy Star Online episode I & II
    - A Nintendo Broadband Adapter
    - Either a gamebit or a melted crystal BIC pen
    - Some electrical tape
    - Some files (which I've included)
    - A brain

1. Set up PSO and your PC to work with PSUL (there are numerous tutorials on how this is
    accomplished so I won't waste time explaining it again)

2. Get your gamebit or BIC pen and open up your Gamecube by removing the four screws from
    the bottom.

3. Face the Gamecube forward, remove the lid and look at the top right corner. You will
    see two blue wires connected two a yellowish/brownish pcb with a black plastic prong
    like device, this is the lid sensor. Take a piece of electrical tape and tape down
    the two black plastic prongs.

4. Place the psul.exe and snake04.dol files somewhere easy to access from the command line,
    personally I like C:/

5. At the command line type the following:

psul.exe snake04.dol

You will see the following:

PSUL 1.1 Copyright (C) 2003, Titanik of Crazy Nation

Starting server on 192.168.1.100...
    Waiting for connection...

6. Turn on PSO, start an online game with your settings, let the pretty screen come up,
    go towards the light....

7. You will see the dol file sent and run, the screen will go black, PSO will stop spinning,
    now swap PSO with your PROPERLY burnt iso file. The disc will start spinning again, and
    your game will load.

8. Enjoy this wonderful UTOPiA present.

BURNING A PROPER ISO

To burn a proper iso, use Nero only. I haven't bothered with any other burning software
    personally so I can't comment on how well it will work. Extract your ISO/GCM (if a GCM
    rename the extension to ISO), open up Nero and choose Recorder->Burn Image, select your
    ISO and click FINALIZE DVD. If you do not finalize the burn, your game will not load.

Additionally, some games have audio problems on the current viper bios (v0.4 as of this
    FAQ) and need to be fixed using a nice little tool by LOONYCUBE called WIPED GCM FIXER
    v1.4b. Only use this latest release as it is the most up to date. Generally, if your
    game is under the 1.4 gigabyte mark it is a good idea to use the wiped fixer to add
    garbage data that has been removed.

From personal experience, I have found that the only media that has worked well for me
    is Ritek G04 Mini-DVDRs. This of course depends on the Gamecube and the laser OHMs
    setting. I have had a 100% success rate with the games I have burnt and tested on this
    media without tweaking the laser on either of my Gamecubes. There are tutorials out there
    explaining how to tweak your laser if necessary.

SDLOADER

I do not know if this method will work with the SDLoader because I don't have the hardware
    to test it out.

OTHER RESOURCES & INFO

The dol version of the cobra bios behaves exactly like the version running directly
    off of the viper. There haven't been any improvements or changes to the loading
    sequence at all.

Some more resources:

http://www.ps2nfo.com/viper.html

http://www.maxconsole.com (and the maxconsole forums)

Make sure if you are using PSOload to switch to PSUL if you plan on testing this out.To get the anaconda.Dol file along with some helpfull utilities and the actual tutorial you can get them here http://forums.maxconsole.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=31218 hope this helps some people out that don't have the ViperGC modchip.I haven't tested this yet so if anyone tests this and can supply some very good information that might help out some people trying to use this method thanks.I just thought this should be brought to attention if nobody has seen this.

Peace L-Burna

2. Anoobis

Anoobis Member

WOW this sounds great,did you try it?i cant test it now

man why do such things discovered now?pso exploit is 3 years old -_-

in the end of 2005 the new consoles do releases already :-/

3. rony2211

rony2211 Guest

i have tested it and it works great for me this kicks ass

4. benja

benja Guest

I have tryed it on my PAL cube and it works very well. There is only one BUT... and that is: it will only play PAL titles..

So I guess NTSC users are stuck with NTSC titles only ( lucky bastards :) )..

If only somebody could add some Region Free - code into the booting it would definately rock 100%.

5. Anoobis

Anoobis Member

@benja
    hehe,bist du aus deutschland zufällich?dieses "tryed" (tried)machen sonst nur deutsche falsch ^^

ok back to topic

what happens when you try to boot a "backup" of freeloader?can you then still change and boot other backups?

6. indienemo

indienemo Guest

dammit I just forked out loads for my damn chip as well....

7. coldasice

coldasice Guest

Dude, you are THE MAN!!!!! This is the best d@mn contribution to the Gamecube community I believe! (or so I've witnessed. Thank you for sharing this with us! A hell of an alternative to those of use that can't afford a Viper!

8. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

this is great stuff! now i hope developement for the viper (i.e cobra bios) is boosted and we can finally see some cool stuff now that the viper chip has some competition. it's very interesting how they managed to do it..

9. CAR8624

CAR8624 Regular member

[[3. Face the Gamecube forward, remove the lid and look at the top right corner. You will
    see two blue wires connected two a yellowish/brownish pcb with a black plastic prong
    like device, this is the lid sensor. Take a piece of electrical tape and tape down
    the two black plastic prongs. ]]

Can you supply some pictures to help some "newbies" do this?

10. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Yeah I hope the viper/cobra team see all this and up the ante on their chip a bit... like release 0.5 bios already ffs!!

11. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

Things you will need:

- A Gamecube
    - An ORIGINAL copy of Phantasy Star Online episode I & II
    - A Nintendo Broadband Adapter
    - Either a gamebit or a melted crystal BIC pen
    - Some electrical tape
    - Some files (which I've included)
    - A brain

Does this work with the Phantasy Star Online I and II PLUS? Or just the NON-PLUS version?

Thanks

Flandrel

12. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I dont think itll work with PSO+, they fixed the exploit in that version... it doesnt work to stream with either.

13. rony2211

rony2211 Guest

this is bad ass im booting it off a mem carn with action replay and i was 2 days away from ordering a viper lol

14. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Do you use the laser tweak with this method?

15. philipman

philipman Regular member

When you open the gamecube is there anyway that you can brake parts inside of it?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  16. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey CAR8624 here is a picture of the lid sensor switch if someone is having a hard time trying to find it.It is at the top right of the picture with a red circle around it,and I wrote a message right under it:

[​IMG]

Flandrel I think this only works with the old Phantasy Star Online,but it could work not sure.You have to be able to stream with it if not then no it won't work.Hey indienemo you can use the laser tweak with this method,but only if you are having alot of problems with reading discs.Philipman I would say just be carefull when opening your cube.The only thing you have to do is take off the top cover and either tape the sensor switches back or I used some small rubberbands which worked pretty good.Hope this helps some peeps out.Right now I am reading up on GCOS which in conjunction with the anaconda can have full region support.

Peace L-Burna

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Sorry if the picture is real big I went back and made it that way so that some people that are having a hard time trying to find it can see it easier.The picture I had of it before was too small to see the switch.

18. DonGio

DonGio Member

I've been streaming games for a while now. I was holding off on buying a viper until more of the issues were sorted out.
    Then L-Burna posted this News. First off BIG thanks to UTOPiA (+Mentalcube for the cobra coding) and also L-Burna for sharing the news.
    I opened up my cube for the first time today. Taped down the lid sensor (my gamecube is unmodded and the laser is still at factory settings) and then ripped a few games and burned them to Full size Maxell DVD-R at 1x.
    It booted perfectly.
    I tested with Mario Power Tennis and Mario Golf since those were the games that always worked the best for me when I streamed.
    Both games played just the like originals.
    After 30 minutes of playing Mario Tennis crashed. The disc stopped spinning and then I got a message about an error. This sounds similar to the kind of errors experienced with Viper so I’m hoping it just has something to do with the version of Cobra that was used for Anaconda.
    Hopefully more people will work on this (aside from mentalcube/cobra team) now.
    Anyway I'm amazed already, and looking forward to more good things to come!

19. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey DonGio did you use the FST setting from GCMWipeFix if not this could be a problem if it is not the full size.I think you will get the best results if the image is at 1.35gig in size.I was playing Resident Evil 4 the demo on a full size dvd-r which was only 1.35gig in size and it runs very smooth with no glitches or anything.I used the setting FST off GCMWipe.I am not sure if this is the problem with the game Mario Power Tennis or Mario Golf,but I hope this is the only thing stopping it from running.If not then yeah it is probably just the Cobra bios,maybe needs to be updated or something.Oh another thing that might be a problem is the media.I think the media is a issue with this.I am using Memorex at the moment and it seems to work pretty good,Ritek is also pretty good.I will make sure to check out the games you mentioned to see if I can get them to work alright.

20. DonGio

DonGio Member

Hey L-Burna
    Both games were 1.35GB in size
    Mario Golf I ripped myself, and I didn’t use any wipe utilities on it. I ripped with my GC and burned with Nero (using a Pioneer DVR-106D). I haven't experienced any problems with this game so far.

Mario Tennis was a d/l, this is the one that crashed on me. The ISO was already 1.35GB but I’ll try what you suggested and see if it improves.

I noticed in another thread Speedi posted the following:
    “I have vipered about 24 now and came to the conclusion that These games:
    Mario Party 6
    Mario Power Tennis
    cause DRE's all the time” I’m guessing that means that, where cobra is right now those games aren’t working right just yet??
    But still I’ll try what you suggested and post back with the results.

The Memorex discs you use are those full-size dvd-r?
    I heard that Ritek G04 minis were really good so I’m going to see about getting my hands on those as well. (I don’t like leaving my case off and don’t want to cut/mod it to fit full-size DVDs either)
    I’ll rip a few more games tomorrow and test them out.
    Additionally, I read on dextrose about loading Anaconda onto a memory card using samsons loader (thus eliminating the need for PSUL everytime i want to play a game). I’ll see about setting that up when I have time and post back.

Thanks for the advice.
    -DG