1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anaconda04 from Utopia Boots Dvd-R on unmodded Gamecube

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by L-Burna, Feb 21, 2005.

1. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Hey guys theres another program out now on http://www.cubehacker.com, that does has the same features and functions of this program its called "GCOS Version 1.1", Just thought I'd let you know! L-burna you should see which is best, pioneer man!

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey Indienemo I checked out the GCoS V1.2 which is at maxconsole.com and it is still real buggy.I can get to the very start screen of the program which gives you a list of stuff just like off the viper bios menu.The bad thing also is that it automatically opens up the menu in PAL mode which is not good for me(NTSC user,you can switch to different regions though,but can't save the settings since it does a restart which makes the information useless).I press on boot gamecube backup and it gives me the jap system error.Yeah DonGio the discs I am using are full size dvd-r I did the full size dvd-r mod to my cube.I kept everything including the open switch and used a circle magnet I ripped off a magnet on my fridge and a thin piece of metal to have the lid close.Then just trimmed alot of plastic down which took me a long time since I couldn't find my drimmel 0_o doh.It still looks nice though I just used a file and some wire clippers and clipped off all the stuff I didn't need and then used the file to sand it down so it is smooth and doesn't have ridged edges.When I either find my drimmel or buy a new one I will make it look better,but I am done for right now.The bad thing though is I broke the jewel that covers the power LED in half(you know it connects to the lid with two small screws,pearl color plastic that the power LED shines through).Anyways that is pretty much what I have been working on for the past week.I would recommend sticking with Anaconda04 for right now if you get the jap system error message.It is improving alot though,the GCoS will be perfect in due time.I'm just going to wait until it has all the bugs worked out of it though.Hey DonGio I heard some peeps were using the Action Replay trick.You put the .dol file on the memory card and the AR directly boots to the program.

GCosv1.2 info:

::'######::::'######::::::::::::::'######::
    :'##... ##::'##... ##::'#######::'##... ##:
    : ##:::..::: ##:::..:: ##.... ##: ##:::..::
    : ##::'####: ##::::::: ##:::: ##:. ######::
    : ##::: ##:: ##::::::: ##:::: ##::..... ##:
    : ##::: ##:: ##::: ##: ##:::: ##:'##::: ##:
    ::.######:::. ######::. #######::. ######::
    ::......:::::......::::.......::::......:::
    28/02/2005:::GCOS Version 1.2::::::::::::::
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Whatsnew in 1.2:

- Auto detect region free for both boot dvd and boot backup
    - Cleaned the menus up
    - Change initial menu video mode (and save it for use everytime)

Info:
    Finally a .dol with all the features!
    With the aid of Anaconda, we now finally have an open source way to boot
    all region Game backups regardless of whether you have a Viper GC! In this first
    revised version of GCOS there is NTSC, PAL & PAL60 backups fully supported.
    There is multiple Game Backup supported via http server, Original
    Game Booting and also SD card file booting.

LiTe Version:
    The LiTe Version has multiregion original boot, multiregion backups boot and boot from SD. We'll slowly add all the features of the Full version, but it requires optimizing to take up the least amount of space :)
    LiTe only offers multiregion boot of ORIGINALS via having the original disc in at boot time (put it in before you turn it on) ;)

Features:
    Play backups and originals from every region!
    Backup Games using your BBA and any Internet Browser
    Upload and execute .dol and .elf using netcat (port 4000)

Known Bugs:
    There seems to be a clock bug where the clock doesn't change time at all. We're working on fixing it, but currently this will affect all games that use the RTC (animal crossing).

Future:
    Bug identifying and fixing currently, LiTe version sorted for you Viper GC users so you're not left out.
    Implementing more features into LiTe would be nice, but size issues are going to make that hard... Feel free to chip in with fixes :)
    A GX re-write may be on the cards soon enough, but the old skool feel of the current menus is fun for now...

Distant Future:
    Memcard backup (not so likely)
    ??? - You control our future as well as us, so show us what you can do ;)

Compile notes:
    Yes, the source is included this time :p

There will be a main.elf and a main_high.elf.
    Don't worry about main_high.elf for now.. just worry about getting main.elf
    to boot. You will need to do powerpc-elf-objcopy -R .comment main.elf main_ok.elf.
    then doltool -d main_ok.elf.

Greets:
    #GCmods EFNET
    Anaconda peeps,
    fogbank
    cReDiAr
    tmbinc
    K-0-D
    nomis (nice to get some acknowledgement)
    Beta people at #GCMods
    And everyone else that made this a possibility.

The file is located on maxconsole.com if anyone wants to try GCoSv1.2.It won't work for me,and has alot bugs at the moment.

Peace L-Burna

3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I got the GCoSv1.1 to work,but it is still kinda buggy at the moment.Some games will work with this,and then again some games won't.I like the delay on it though,and on the GCoSv1.2 they have where you can press the A button to make the disc launch.It is still cool though I hope they keep making alot of progress on this.

4. DonGio

DonGio Member

Okay so I played Mario Golf for 3 hours today without any problems, I even paused the game came back 20 minutes later and still worked perfectly.

I ripped Mario Tennis and burned again. I was able to play through an entire tournament without problems. I'm guessing I just had a bad rip the other day (as I didn't rip that one myself).

I also tested out Super Monkey Ball 2 and Super Smash Bros bros. No problems with either of them.
    All games are NTSC and ripped by myself no wipe of any kind.

I burned them all to Maxell 4.7GB DVD-R (Manufacturer ID: MXL RG02) at 2x. I've been backing up dvd movies for a couple years now and found that Maxell MXL RG01 and RG02 are very reliable. Seem to work well for GC backups too.

L-Burna:Whats the manufacturers ID on those Memorex you use? Do you use them a lot?
    I've had bad experiences with Memorex DVD-R. I've burned ~20 movies to Memorex media and more than half of them wouldn't work on my Toshiba DVD player, or my gf's Samsung. The only thing that would always read them is my Apex AD-1500 (but i swear that thing would even read a piece of cardboard, great little player) Sorry about getting a little off topic...
    For modding your case I’m guessing you followed the guide on Maxconsole that was posted a while back? No problems with that? It’s something I will consider, but I’d rather just leave my GC untouched and spend a little bit more finding good 1.4GB mini dvd-r.

Anyway to sum things up I am very happy with Anaconda. Apparently it doesn't do NTSC on PAL systems or vice versa but since generally make all my own rips, that's not a concern for me (and something I'm sure can be fixed in time).

I've yet to hear back from my friend that has a copy of AR. When I get the chance to borrow it from him I'll try loading Anaconda onto the memory card (I’ve also heard this is working for others). For now loading Anaconda with PSUL + PSO disc works great!
    -Don Giovanni

5. indienemo

indienemo Guest

If you ask me its so f'cking stupid, we've been on the scene for like two years almost, using PSO, then all of a sudden all these new and good methods come along at once... I dont get it man, its like when you wait an hour for a bus then two come at the same time

6. coldasice

coldasice Guest

L-Burna, where would I be able to find a tutorial for getting anaconda to the memory card and using AR to boot to it? URL?

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah true Indienemo hahahaha lol I agree with you some what,but you have to remember it is just decrypted Cobra bios files.We should actually be thanking the Cobra and Viper team for making the bios files and the chip to see how the cube operates,but I understand where your coming from.It makes it seem like PSO is pretty much useless now since all the good stuff is coming out quick as hell all the sudden.DonGio to be honest the Memorex discs I got really was not by choice,my brother picked them up for me from WalMart.The information I get from them though when I plug them in DvdDecrypter are:

Memorex 8X 4.7Gig

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,295,104
    Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
    Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
    Disc ID: PRODISC-R03-03
    Book Type: DVD+R
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track

Nothing really special to be honest man,but I would definately suggest picking up some Ritek discs if you can get your hands on them.Maybe from http://www.meritline.com or http://www.newegg.com either one of those sites are pretty good at supplying name brand discs very cheap.They have the 8cm discs and the full size discs also if you are looking to get either one.If you get the full size discs go with Ritek G04 discs they work like a charm.Hey coldasice all you need to do right is get sdloaderv1.1 and then place the anaconda04.Dol on the sdcard.Then just pop in Action Replay and you should be able to boot the file.I don't have the sdcard and Action Replay,but if I did I would make a tutorial.I remember seeing someone say exactly what to do as for replacing the exact file where and what,but I forgot where I saw it though coldasice sorry man.I am sure you can find it off maxconsole.com.I think that is the place I saw it originally.Another place to check out is gcdev.com they have most of the files you need,and dextrose.com has a convertor so you can convert files.I hope this helps you out I can't really help you out on the sdcard method.I would if I could,but I don't have it man sorry.

8. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

Hey mods...consider making this a sticky!
    This is cool!

9. indienemo

indienemo Guest

This threads sticky enough thanks....;)

10. Laxington

Laxington Member

well, yes we stuck for almost two or three years and now there come all these cool ideas and stuff. i wonder! but i think there is a very easy conclusion: nintendo helped! those fuckers didnt know how much they harmed themselves with their fusking copyprotection!!!! no one buys GC, almost every game developer wont port games to nintendos gc and nintendo itselve is almost broke. so? hellooooo? this is what happened.

Ok, well it is a unwritten secret that sony made the ps2 games easy to copy. the software industry was not very amused. but this helped sony to become the top of the pops on the console market. so, and what is nintendo, the stupid fuckheads always overleep everything. dumpasses.

well, sorry for my bad english but i hope you all understood me. ;-)

greetinx to all from me
    servus

11. Laxington

Laxington Member

@L-Burna: thanks a lot! but i red almost every sentence of this thread and still have some questions:

1. what do i have to do with the anaconda04.bin file? in the tutorial they only use snace04.dol file? with psul.exe (i've got the newes version of psul already)

2. do i always have to boot pso first? is this the main reason using the viper chip (i mean dont i have to boot pso with the viper)?

3. do i still need to hook up my gc on a pc? ok, i know for backing up the games i need a crossover cable and stuff, but after i burned a game onto a mini dvd does it work without a pc (i guess not because of the psul thingy, right)?

thanks in advance
    lax

12. Laxington

Laxington Member

and by the way: what is GCOS 1.3? I mean when do i need it? and how do i use it ;-) ?

very yours folks

13. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

14. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Getting it to work using the PSO method and BBA you will want to use Phoenix.Open up Phoenix and select the Load a DOL or BIN File option.If you have Psul v1.1 saved on memory card you won't have a problem.If not go back and delete the PSO save that contains PSOL.Then just select the option in Phoenix and put the marker on PSUL and then save your settings.A prompt screen will come up,start up your cube,build a character if it gets deleted,make sure your internet settings are right.Then just save PSUL to your memory card.If you are using Anaconda04 or GCoSv1.1 you will need to tape the lid sensor switches back or find another solution for them.If you are using GCoSv1.2 or GCoSv1.3 make sure not to do the lid sensor switch technique.If you have the lid switches taped down on these versions it will not work,since it has to detect the lid opening and closing.If the lid switches are held down it will constantly read and never give you the option to swap discs.So far these are my results on all the versions,and I finally ended up getting everyone of them to work.I hope this helps you out Laxington and some peeps that are reading this.

Peace L-Burna

15. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

No wonder that i could not get gcos 1.2 and 1.3 to work!
    where did you read that it needs no lid-trick?
    i cant see anywhere where reads that.

16. rc119

rc119 Member

is there a way to get any of these (anacond or gcos v1.3 to boot of a mem card?

17. rc119

rc119 Member

is there a way to get any of these (anacond or gcos v1.3 to boot ofF a mem card?

18. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member

l-burna i got the memorex dvd-r 8cm disks and they dont work at all (cobra 0.3). do you know for sure ritek's do work? then i might consider getting a few (i got 20 memorex and they dont work :mad:)

19. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Geforce go with the Ritek G04 what you where planning on getting first if it is 8cm size.The memorex small dvd discs I am not sure about from Memorex.I was using memorex dvd-r full size discs.The dvd-r discs from Memorex where 4.7gig in size.I tried out Maxell not that long ago and they seem to work also,this is the full size dvd-r discs though.I have a Sony 8cm mini dvd-r that I plan on trying real soon.I hope that works,mainly it is just testing and error Geforce.Sorry if those discs didn't work for you Geforce,but sometimes it really isn't the actual discs.It actually has something to deal with the system and the version of it.I think some systems are really picky about certain media,and then some of them can handle alot of brands.I am not really positive that I have a really strong gamecube at the moment yet.When I start working on the 8cm mini dvd-r media I will know what works the best and doesn't,this is just for the cube I have though.Actually if you plan on getting 8cm mini dvd discs I would say Ritek G04 discs or their is another brand called Traxdata which is suppose to be the same thing as Ritek G04,but alot cheaper.I think either one of these brands will work.I already heard from alot of peeps that these 8cm mini dvd two brands seem to be flawless.I hope this helps you out,and if you get the 8cm mini dvd go with Ritek or either close to that.They are very good and can work with picky systems.Quezacotl this is from actually testing the versions out myself man.I noticed that on GCoSv1.2 and GCoSv1.3 it has to be able to pick up the function of the buttons(when you click on the boot menu,the method there told me).At first I was like you Quezacotl it wouldn't work for me with the lid switch taped down.I then went back took the lid switch tape off,and it worked like a success.They just forgot to input that information,but I swear it works on my system without the lid switch taped down both versions GCoSv1.2 and GCoSv1.3.Yeah there is a couple methods I have heard rc119,but I am not really clear myself on using the memory card trick as for now.I don't have the sdcard or know the memory card trick though.It is possible and yeah I have it works with all the methods,some methods I have no clue what they did just from having no personal experience with the equipment they have.I am just lacking that to be honest,if I did though I would help you out.

Peace L-Burna

20. DonGio

DonGio Member

This doesn’t really belong exactly with the Anaconda/GCOS topic but a lot of people have been talking about media.
    The other thing about media is that it’s not always made by the same manufacturer.
    Just because it a lot of companies have their discs manufactured by another company who then just put a stamp on it.
    This is why you have Traxdata and Ritek/Ridata being the same, because they are the same product with a different label.
    However often times companies get their discs manufactured by more than one company. Some of those manufactures may be very good others not so good. Hence why sometime you get very good Memorex discs and sometime utter crap.
    Another example: Optodiscs, generally great media (if you get ones actually produced by optodisc). I bought a spindle of 50 one time, which I think were optodisc 'imitations or something' the were TERRIBLE. I checked the manufacture id and sure enough it wasn’t optodisc :p Some manufacturer I had never heard of.
    This is why knowing the Manufacture ID is very important (more important than whatever is stamped on the disc)
    If your buying from your local best buy or Future shop you kind of just have to go by the label, But if your buying online best to check out the manufacturers id and see if its a good one.
    There are different site online that rate media, and list what Brand Labels are using what manufacturers lately, so best check those out.
    Also for future posts, you’re posting on this site, what media works/didn’t for you post the manufacture id with it.