1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IFO, VOB, and BUP files

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by jagman55, Mar 11, 2005.

1. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Wonder if someone could help me? A friend gave me a folder of a VIDEO_TS that contains multiples VOB, IFO, and BUP files of the same DVD video. Have tried all my programs including Nero to burn it into a DVD so it can be played on a DVD player or on my PC but the files are all a piece of the same video. Nero will recognize a VOB, or a IFO file so was wondering:
    Do I have to join all these files together? If so, using what program? Then what program will burn a IFO and VOB file(s)??

Thanks as I am a real newbie at this

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi jagman, welcome to aD,

You're right - they are all part of the same thing let's take a look at what we have ~

What is a VIDEO_TS Folder and why do I need it ?

Whenever you rip a DVD in a "File" mode you are going to wind up with a bunch of files - they are going to be .Bup's, .Ifo's and .Vob's. In order for DVD Shrink, Nero or most of the programs to accept these files they [bold]must be[/bold] in a folder, which is named "VIDEO_TS" - Some programs (like DVD Shrink) will create that folder for you. Other programs may only give you the above-mentioned files (your Bup's, .Ifo's and .Vob's files) in a loose pack. If the files are loose, then you must create a folder for them, and that folder must be titled, yes, you have it it's - -> VIDEO_TS, written exactly like that, in CAP's. When all the files are in that folder you can easily feed it to DVD Shrink, DVD2One, CloneDVD or Nero for additional processing or burning :D

What is a VIDEO_TS Folder and why do I need it ?

Whenever you rip a DVD in a "File" mode you are going to wind up with a bunch of files - they are going to be .Bup's, .Ifo's and .Vob's. In order for DVD Shrink, Nero or most of the programs to accept these files they [bold]must be[/bold] in a folder, which is named "VIDEO_TS" - Some programs (like DVD Shrink) will create that folder for you. Other programs may only give you the above-mentioned files (your Bup's, .Ifo's and .Vob's files) in a loose pack. If the files are loose, then you must create a folder for them, and that folder must be titled, yes, you have it it's - -> VIDEO_TS, written exactly like that, in CAP's. When all the files are in that folder you can easily feed it to DVD Shrink, DVD2One, CloneDVD or Nero for additional processing or burning :D

WHAT DO THOSE LETTERS REPRESENT ?

To burn a DVD in the "File" mode You need to have a folder named VIDEO_TS
    In this folder you'll have files.
    Here's what they are ;

.IFO files = Information files
    .BUP files = More information files
    .VOB files= Movie files (Video and Audio)

So my friend, you need not put them in order - the IFO and BUP files will do that for you BUT you do have to have them all in that folder and use other programs like DVD Shrink to pick them up to burn them.

See the guide for DVD Shrink and DVDD in my sig to get you started -

Cheers,

Pete

3. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Thanks for responding but have an additioal question.

I burned the VIDEO_TS with DVDSHRINK but is did not combine the VOB files into a DVD that could be played.

I put the individual files on the DVD as they are in the hard disk raw folder.

How or what do I use to get the files merged into an image? or what ever it takes to look like a DVD movie?

Thanks

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Does the disc you have play on your standalone player now ?

Does it play on your PC ?

5. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Thanks, In the Windows Media Player, it would not play but recognize there were 7 titles (didnt say which) the ROXIO player would play video fine but the audio would skip badly.

My standalone Sony changer would not recognize it as a DVD at all.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi jagman55,

I see that you're running Roxio with other proggys on your PC. Roxio has quite a reputation of not playing with other programs. As a matter of fact, the majority of pple who run Roxio aren't able to use other proggys. It is recommended that Roxio be removed totally before doing any DVD backup work.

You say you have Roxio. Roxio is, IMO, the worst program you can have on your PC if you wish to work with DVD Video. It does it's best to trash almost every other DVD backup proggy there is except DVD Shrink. One extremely good program, Nero, is one that Roxio messes with the most. True there are a very few pple who have them both on their PC BUT by far, the vast majority of pple who have had them both on their PC's have had major headaches and have had to get rid of Roxio. As I'm sure any search through our threads will show you it's a wise decision. Even getting rid of Roxio is a problem as it weaves itself all through your system and you require a special proggy to get rid of it even after you've uninstalled it.

We're here because you've probably had trouble burning that can be traced to our archenemy Roxio CD-Creator or one of his henchmen.

The best way to rid our selves of Roxio is remove him through "Control Panel", "Add and Remove Programs".

After you've done that, I'm thinking you haven't gotten all of Roxio, actually you haven't, you need to run this -
    Remove all types of Roxio tentacles and tendrils with Roxio Zapper -

Find it here: http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Once you've done that, reboot your PC to "flush everything out of your PC's system :)

Many times when your player won't "see" the disc it's because the disc is of a poor quality.

Eliminating errors and going for the "Best burn" ~ Tips ~

When attempting to achieve the best burn, consider reducing that burn speed to the 4X area. Iffin you have a new 16X, DL burner, you'll probably do well at 6X. It is my feeling that 8X and over leads to occasional coasters, even when using top grade stuff such as Verbatim DataLife Plus media.

The second part of the solution is to always use a decent grade media. I suggest something like those discs made by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Mitsubishi or RICOH. Unfortunately they are also the discs most plagued by pirate Mfgrs. and for that reason I like dealing with Mertline, Supermediastore OR Newegg who have a great return policy on their products. I have had great luck with RiData and Verbatim DataLife Plus discs and their prices are extremely reasonable.
    As a passing note, when buying Verbatim's, they come with a lifetime warrantee. Return them with your sales slip OR register receipt and a new one will be shipped to replace it.

For the best online media stores to shop, try -

Mertline.com
    http://meritline.com/

Newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-344&depa=0

And,

Supermediastore.com
    http://www.supermediastore.com/media1.html

Something to watch out for, ~>
    In today's market, now more than any other time, beware of pirated fakes.

DVD-R market plagued by fake media and inconsistent quality.
    Fake Taiyo Yuden media, and the current quality of RITEK products is discussed here. Is the quality of Verbatim affected by the fact that they are now outsourcing production to CMC, and Moser Bayer?
    http://www.cd-rw.org/articles/archive/dvd-r_media_report.cfm

The DVD recordable media market: What's up with RITEK?
    What a convenient timing - few days after we publish articles about the quality issues on the DVD recordable media market, RiDisc promises to start delivering premium quality. They use strong words in describing their new RiDisc Xtreme products - "Grade AAA+ RITEK G05" and "zero tolerance quality control".
    http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/ritek_dvd-r_quality.cfm

DVD-R market plagued by fake media and inconsistent quality
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6090.cfm

DVD Video media quality notes;
    Memorex is an excellent example as DVD media goes. 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception - they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can't be trusted - " Who's making your Memorex tonight ?"

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren't all that suitable as a DVD backup media - that's why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you'll get a "Cyclic Redundancy error" or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won't accept your "cheap" media :-(
    Another problem which, "Pops up" is a "*Power Calibration Error". This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A "Power Calibration Error" can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn't usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04's made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that "Oh no, I shouldn't have gotten those."

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Phillips, Sony, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi or RICOH are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them - what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

Cheers,

Pete

7. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Thanks, have gone throught the DVD good and bad bit and my burner is a Plextor PX716UF and the media I used for the burn was a Verbatim DVD-R 8X.

Will unload Roxio (came with the Plextor 716 and see what I can do and follow your advise.

Thanks

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You should be fine with the Verbatim, it's what I'm using currently and they've never let me down.

Iffin you have a 16X, DL burner you should be able to get away with burning at 8X - providing your system is running perfectly -

Pete

9. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Thanks, couple more if you will.

Blew away the ROXIO Media creator but do I have to blow away the ROXIO Media Player too? It is the only player I have that will comes close to playing the DVD I created.

Also, do you know anything about a vendor called DISCMAKERS? they said they are a PLEXTOR DVD provider and they sold me a plain box of DVD unmarked and the DVD Indentifier says they are: YUDON000-T02-000.
    The other interesting thing is when I used the DVD ID program on my Verbatim DVD-R w/VideoGard 8X they came out as Mitsubish MCC 02RG20.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mitsubish MCC does in fact maake Verbatim. Almost everything they make should be considered OK.

When you get discs that are "Compatible" with a burner - it just means it will burn well for most of your work. Almost all discs are fine for Data, Gif, Jpg, MP3 storage etc BUT when you begin to talk Video - it's another story - Most of the "recommend" discs don't do well at all - That's why we say discs made by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Mitsubishi or RICOH are all pretty dependable. Unfortunately they are also the discs most plagued by pirate Mfgrs. and for that reason I like dealing with Mertline, Supermediastore OR Newegg who have a great return policy on their products. I have had great luck with RiData and Verbatim DataLife Plus discs and their prices are extremely reasonable.[/b] As a passing note, when buying Verbatim's, they come with a lifetime warrantee. Return them with your sales slip OR register receipt and a new one will be shipped to replace it.

Once you give them a try, you'll never go back to the cheap stuff.

Cheers,

11. jagman55

jagman55 Member

On the Roxio thing, like I said I blew the media creator away but do I need to do the same to the ROXIO media PLAYER??

Which media player do you recommend for video on the PC, I have Winamp but skips and people on other forum have joked about it, and of course, I have the window media player which does not play everything.

Recommendations??

Thanks, as this is by FAR the best forum I have every experienced

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I don't know about the Player :(

Most everyone here uses PowerDVD.

WMP will play everything IF you tell it to when you program it.

Myself ? I use WinAmp - Why are pple laughing ?

You can also look at WinDVD player OR Cliprex -

Google for the rest - here's the last one -

http://www.cliprex.com/

"P"

13. jagman55

jagman55 Member

More on my experience with DVD Players.
    I was given a IMG file created from a Ripped DVD and used DVDCrypter to burn the DVD.

Interestingly the the only player that would play the DVD was Roxio DVDMax.

I tried: WMP and neither would play, WMD hung, and PowerDVD would not recognize that a DVD was in the player.

Also, on Audio, am getting lots of CUE and APE files and have never been able to get to burn or play. the CUE files (line 3) says is a .APE but the attribute says WAVE. Do you have any experience with CUE/APE audio files??

Again, Thanks

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jagman55,

An APE file (Monkey APE), is a compressed audio file and needs to be decompressed to be played. The reason that WMP played it is because it is supported by it as are many other (but certainly not all) applications.

For additional information on using Monkeys Audio, you can check Monkeys Audio Homepage:

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

CUE File - Instructions for the burning application of how to burn the disk.

BIN File - The actual binary data to be burned to the disk.

You'll need something like Nero Burning ROM or burn CD's (Another option is Fireburner).

Burn with NERO:

Start Nero, cancel Wizard (If necessary), Select FILE, Select BURN IMAGE, locate the .cue file and double click. A dialog box will come up, for anything other than music make sure you choose DISC-AT-ONCE (DAO).

It's not always necessary to use a *.cue file with Nero. If you open the *.cue file with notepad and it contains only one track then just burn the *.bin directly. If you only have the BIN and can't find a CUE then I suggest you mount the image first.

A common problem with *.cue files is that the path written (or filename) in the *.cue file is not the same as the path on your PC or the actual *.bin filename. The simple solution is to open the *.cue file with notepad and edit the contents entering the full name of the *.bin file within the quotes. The *.cue file must be placed in the same directory as the *.bin file.

Example *.cue file named AFilename.FLT.ShareReactor.cue

FILE "AFilename.FLT.ShareReactor.BIN" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

aD "Search" (site-wide) and "Google" will produce a whole host on information on using both apps.

Cheers,

Pete

15. w00717

w00717 Guest

16. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Want to Thank w00717 but especially thank ScubaPete, this man know what he is talking about and all you newbie listen to HIM.

Have another request or advise, to copy a regular DVD, what program do you recommend to use if you don't need DVD Shrink? Just Nero??

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi jagman55 ,

Thanks for the nice words.

When you say a regular DVD, do you mean a copy of a DVD ? If it's a copy, use DVDD. First, DVDD, and rip to your HD using Mode ISO Read then Mode ISO Write to disc.

That will work for a DVD-5. Meaning a copy of a disc OR a DVD which is smaller than 4.360GB.

If it's bigger then you need to use Shrink.

Hope that helps,

Pete

18. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Thanks for the help. Let me re-interate.
    When I use DVD Decrytpter and create some BUP,VOB,IFO files, If it is over 4 gb, I use Shink (works great!) but if is 4gb and under, I use something like 'Mode ISO Write'. Isnt ISO write if it is an image? What is recommended if it is BUP,VOB,IFO files??
    Also, if dont need Decrypter, then then want to do a copy DVD to DVD 4gb and under, do I use Mode ISO too??

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK. one thing at a time.

Doing a DVD-5 (less than 4.36GB) use DVDD ISO Read mode to rip to your HD then ISO Write mode to disc.

Doing a DVD-5 (less than 4,36GB) and you have a VOB format (IFO, BUP's and VOB files) use this proggy called "FolderToISO" which will change your VOB to an ISO Image almost instantly then process with DVDD.

Look in the middle of "Software projects" on the left-side of the page:
    http://divx.trustfm.com.ru/

Doing a DVD-9 (Over 4.36GB), Rip with DVDD, using either the File or ISO mode, pickup with DVD Shrink compress and encode with it then burn to disc with DVDD in the ISO Write mode.

Hope that helps,

Pete

20. jagman55

jagman55 Member

It helps a lot. THANKS