1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to transfer files from computer to xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by fdu1983, May 10, 2005.

1. YourMom31

YourMom31 Member

Yeah, you can do that. I've done it for PS2. Shouldn't be any different in XBOX.

2. Dezmond

Dezmond Member

Really does the brand of dvd's makes a difference.
    I always burn at the lowest speed but still it shows up the Xbox logo with the white microsoft text and then tells me it is an invalid disc.

¤Dez,.

3. xboxd00d

xboxd00d Member

YES. The brand makes a hell of a difference, xbox drives are basically very picky about what they will play, my xbox is very new, yet it will not play most cdr I put in there.

I always burn at x4 speed on Ritek G05 printable discs, they are spot on and look ace when printed on.
    Another good disc is Datawrite (yellow, red, classic, printable, all good).

I use nero to burn them with.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The brand of dvd doesn't matter that much as long as they are set minus..I use cheapos..More important is the size of the file on the disk, if less than about 100 meg the drive can't always find it!! Make a dummy file like for the bios of about 400-500 Meg and everything should be ok..Samsung cd-rw work fine in the Philips and Samsung drives.

5. xboxd00d

xboxd00d Member

Rubbish, ignore this info, it is a well known fact the xbox dvd-rom sux, yes cheapos work "ok", but why not spend a few pence per disc extra and have reliability.
    I have borrowed games burnt on cheapos and the intro skips and stutters, and when I reburn on quality media the intro runs smooth.

Also, + or - it dont matter, there is very little difference between the 2 except + is better for video (ie. in a dvd recorder where re editing after recording is needed) and the + are generally slightly more expensive!

6. Dezmond

Dezmond Member

Thx for the tips.

I tried a DVD-RW of ''Creation'' and a DVD-R of it but they both won't work.

I can play cd-rw on my Xbox but I thought then I had the Philips one.
    I also tried Imation but I only have +R's of that one so that might be the problem.

SO I am of testing now and thx for the tips again.

¤Dez,.

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Sorry.. misread your question, thought you were trying to burn apps/bios..Find a copy of Nero cd/dvd speed (club.cdfreaks have a free one and it also shows up any shortcomings with your burner, BTW which are you using??) and try what you can get local..There's a lot of fake disks out there that aren't what they say they are..Arita pink work well for me, but ridisk blue only work in the Thomson??

8. Tamzin

Tamzin Member

Hey guys...I am new to all this and your tips have been helpful but by the sounds of it all these xboxs are modded either by a chip of softmod...I have an old xbox with a dashboard of 4920 and nothing has been touched on it...It has music on it and I want to extract that off and put software on.
    Can I do it as it is?
    Do i need to put a mod chip in....if so where can i get one in Australia?
    Can I get away with softmod and what softmod would be good...I have modded the controller to work on PC and i can put a USB flash drive onto the controller lead too...
    I want to be able to LAN the Xbox to PC. will what don_omar said in forum http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/190074 work on my xbox....
    Any information would be good

Thankyou

9. freddab

freddab Member

Hi guys!
    I have a really irritating problem with my Xbox.
    I have had my xbox for a couple of years now and I have been FTP:ing these years without a problem so I know the basics.
    Recently a friend of mine borrowed my xbox and when I got it back I can no longer FTP. This is the problem:
    In the settings-menu, I use Static IP and I have my usual IP, I save and exit, but when I reboot and come back to the start in the dash, the IP field is blank. I don´t know if some setting has been changed or what can be wrong, and it drives me f****g crazy!
    PLEASE someone help me!!

10. xboxd00d

xboxd00d Member

this is for freddab.

You could try reinstalling evoX with slayers 2.6, if u select the right option u wont lose any game saves.

11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@freddab

I wouldn't go reinstalling your dash just yet. It sounds like a simple setting issue. I realize you prefer a Static IP (good) but for testing purposes; go into your xbox's settings and set it to use DHCP then restart it (ONLY IF YOU'RE USING A ROUTER). Now, if you are not using a router (connected directly to your PC) two things could be a part of the problem if not both. The LAN connection you are plugged into needs to have a Static IP assigned to it as well as the xbox. Since you say your xbox has a Static IP already, just change it to a different one. Don't forget, connecting directly to your PC w/xbox you must use a crossover cable. No exceptions I know of will allow otherwise.

12. freddab

freddab Member

First of all I would like to thank you for trying to help me!

But I still can´t get it working.
    I do have a crossover cable, and my computer is set to use a static IP. As I mentioned before, it has worked perfectly before my friend used my xbox. Apparently, he used the xbox to check the weather and so on on the internet, and connected directly to his computer, not usig static IP. So he has probably changed some setting.

These are the settings I now use:

NETWORK
    Type (Blank)
    Ip (Blank)
    Line status No Link!
    Ethernet MAC address 00:50:F2:68:94:E4
    Setup Network Yes
    Use Static Ip Yes
    Ip 192.164.1.4
    Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
    DefaultGateway 192.164.1.0

That Ip and gateway has worked just fine before, but now when I restart, the IP is still blank in the dash. Can the settings in XBMC somehow mess up the Ip settings?

13. xboxd00d

xboxd00d Member

The point I was trying to make was the settings where at fault, its obvious it has something to do with settings, i just suggested doing the simple task of reinstalling the dash to put it all beck to defaults, possibly making it work, instead of sitting there for ages with possibly no luck!

14. freddab

freddab Member

Ok, Feels like I have tried everything now.
    Where can I download a new dash?

15. jsamps

jsamps Guest

hey guys im going back to what don said to do...everything worked great when i did it the first time, but i when i reconnected everything and went throught his tutorial again, it keeps telling me a couple things:

1. "The ip address you entered for this network connection is already assigned to another adapter, Microsoft Tv/Video Connection. Microsoft Tv/Video Connection is hidden from the network connections folder because it is not physically on this computer. if the same address is asigned to both computers, and they both become active, only one of them will use this address. this may result in incorrect system config."

then it asks me if i want to change my ip address, and i press "NO"

then once im ready to connect and open the xbox folder... it tyells me "Connection with server could not be found."

im only trying to get a few files from my computer to my xbox... i dont want to get online with it or anything else... just transfer files. if there is another way that would be helpfull also. i need help, can some one please help!!

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

hi jsamps..try changing the ip of the xbox to something like 192.168.3.1XX and make another LAN setting that is also 192.168.3.1..that should do the trick.also ensure you have an exception set for the FTP through any firewall...hope this helps

17. jsamps

jsamps Guest

janrocks i tried what you said, but it is still not working...n i changed the ip on my xbox, and i went through the tutorial again, but i still can not figure it out. is there any way i can delete or remove the other network connectios, and just start over. or once agin id there another way to transfer files between the two. i have flash fxp, but i have no idea how to use it. thanks again for your help.

18. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I had exactly the same problem for ages and I don't know why but suddenly everything worked. I had a really good mess around with firewall settings..does the xbox dash say connected (in system settings..network??) It is possible to be connected without the ability to transfer any files!! Sometimes it helps to reboot the pc after changing everything..there is a flash fxp tutorial/xbox networking info at gueux.be (don't know if I spelled that right) they host the downloads for xbox4fun.com..it's in French but relatively easy to follow..Otherwise xboxd00d is the real expert with this stuff..Oh and check all thye flashfxp settings such as passive mode..feat and such..anything about networking problems helps as well

19. xboxd00d

xboxd00d Member

Totally flattered, but im no expert, just keep playing till they work (or rip my hair out trying).
    If u think this is hard try connecting a laptop to a pc over LAN using crossover cable, took me hours and it still didnt work very well, all this "Network wizard" crap did fek all for me :-(

Anyway like I said before any of ye need my help I will always do my best.

PS. Anyone played Burnout Revenge yet? It is the best game ever!!!

20. jsamps

jsamps Guest

thanks for all your help guys. i managed to get flash working. i did what you said. just kept trying until i got it to work. thanx again.