1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

joining two avi files together

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by danny1582, Jun 11, 2005.

1. danny1582

danny1582 Member

does anybody know of a program i can download to join the avi files together?

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

3. danny1582

danny1582 Member

how do i use dvd shrink to join them together?

4. diesel2u

diesel2u Guest

i use dvd santa and its very easy to use. I never knew you could join with dvd shrink

5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

6. SUKIE

SUKIE Member

or u can use'eo video' great app it has a converter and a joiner suite.

7. dog3y3

dog3y3 Member

You can also use VirtualDub if the AVI files have similar properties:
    Same resolution (ie, 640x480)
    Same audio sample rate (ie, 48khz)

And it's free. It's easy to check. Just open VirtualDub, and open the first AVI file. Then go back up to 'file' and 'append AVI segment'.
    If it gives you and error, then you can't use VirtualDub.

If it doesn't, then go to the 'video' drop-down, and select 'direct copy' so it doesn't spend a lot of time re-encoding. Then hit 'save AVI As' and you're done.

8. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

DVTool is fast

9. Gangstapr

Gangstapr Member

The easiest software to do the job is "avi joiner", in just 3 clicks u join both avi files to one and its really fast and really awesome!

10. Racing666

Racing666 Member

will it work for joining/joining 2 VCD's (say part 1 on disk 1 and part 2 on disk 2) into 1 avi or dvd?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  11. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

12. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

hi, im using virtualdub and i tried joining the files but they had different audio samples,, what can i do to convert one files audio to be the same as the other? or can i use another file to join them even though theyre audio is different

thanks

13. -mm-

-mm- Member

I seem to have the same problem as the above.

I have an two avis that I had saved on two separate cdrs to save space on my pc a year ago or so. I now have a dvd burner, so I loaded the avi files on my pc and wanted to burn them on a dvd. I tried to use virtual dub to join them, although I get the following error:

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5717/new4rm.jpg

It seems that just one of the files has this problem. I dont want to compromise the quality of the picture, and joining re-encoding with WinAvi did make the quality completely awful. Any ideas how to do so?

Thanks.

14. -mm-

-mm- Member

I may have sent you an empty message by mistake. My apologies.

Anyway, I think I have the problem solved. If you looked at the thread, I seemed to have a similar problem as you. I had two avi files that I saved onto cdr because they were large, and then I wanted to burn them on dvd, but obviously needed to convert them.

So, the problem first of all was that the AVIs had been encoded with different audio. So I needed to re-encode them.

What you need to do is use VirtualDubMod. It can be downloaded for free at

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdubmod.cfm

Now... I am under the impression you need VirtualDub also as well as VirtualDubMod to do this, so have both apps handy.

Go here to get the actual info on the process for demuxing the AVIS and then Remuxing them as well.

http://www.videohelp.com/faq#demultiplex

Scroll down to the header: How do I demultiplex a MPG,AVI,DivX,ASF? and read, read, read, and test!!! It should all work for you.

If you need additional information or have any questions on vocabulary or what exactly to do, let me know.

I will also post this on the forum, because this is great information on what to do in this situation. I can do some editing and maybe the mods/admin can make this a pinned topic.

I am sure there are more than two people who need to join AVIs which have different audio sampling rates and cannot join them because of this problem. Additionally, I am sure there are people that want to burn them afterwards as DVD. I am not a pro in any regards... but I did spend some time here on this and I think this information can be useful.

I did have a problem afterwards with the dvd repeating after it was finished. I think, however, this may have been because of the original AVI, not becuause of error on my part.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  15. Goob13

Goob13 Member

sorry but im still having problems. o and btw the link was broken. the guide that is. ok so what i want to do is join avi files to avi. thats it. theres alot of to DVD/SVCD?.. i just want 2 avi's to be one. i tried using virtual dub and got no luck. but i did find out that one of the sampling rates is off. so can someone tell me a better way. i also have ImToo but it seems like i can only use DVD/IFO/ or MPEG files. so if anyone can help me change this stuff to simply avi it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

16. -mm-

-mm- Member

The link isnt broken... sometimes you have to be patient and wait for the page to load, because its an advertisement at first and its redirecting you to the site. The guide is there... believe me.

Read the info that I gave you above your post and if you still cant do it with all the infomation I gave and the information in the guide, then send me a private message and I can help you further.

I had two avis that were of different sampling rates and finally got it to work after trying for a long time... but finally I got it.

Get back with me either way and let me know.

Good luck!!!

17. Goob13

Goob13 Member

alright i got it to work. the only problem is that now the finished avi is way too big. for ex i tried it with one movie and the final avi {working} was 93gb and then with another it was 11gb (both avi's are only 1.5gb). is there someway i can make this smaller because a 93gb avi is a big problem.

18. -mm-

-mm- Member

NINETY-THREE GIGABYTES??? Man.. what are you doing?? :)

Ummm... lets go step by step.

They shouldnt be more than say about 400mb to 800mb each. But I suppose about 1.5gb is not "that" bad. If you are winding up with over 3gb files for avi... I think you are doing something wrong... or starting out with files are are too big for being avi, in my opinion. The reason people make avi is because dvd files are so huge.. such as 4.7 to about 8 gb files... and making the avi is so compressed, and the video/audio loss is usually not that noticable to the novice user.

Anyway... if your ultimate goal is to combine the two avis and then make a dvd from that... lemme know. We can go step by step... but I need to know the sizes of your starting avi files. After that... tell me what you did with them.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  19. fbj65

fbj65 Member

Try DVD Santa....available on
    most forums...its a simple to use
    pgm.

20. Goob13

Goob13 Member

to -mm-: yea im just trying to get two avi's into one thats all. i dont need it in dvd format. just a working avi is fine. um for the 93gb one im not exactly sure how big the 2 orginals were cause i deleted them but i know they were under a gig. it happened again when i tried to combine two avi's (1.5gb Total) and the final avi was 11gb. what am i doing wrong here?

to fbj65: i tried to use dvdsanta but it wouldnt let me convert avi to avi which is what i want to do.