1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

joining two avi files together

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by danny1582, Jun 11, 2005.

1. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

DVDSanta is crap...anyhow, here's how to join two avi's in virtualdub.

STEP 1.
    Open avi 1.
    Select video, direct stream copy. Select Audio, full processing. Select File, Save avi.
    Save it with a new name, don't overwrite the original.

STEP 2.
    Open avi 2.
    Do exactly the same as avi 1.

STEP 3.
    Open the NEW avi 1.
    Select File, append avi, and open the new avi 2.

Select video, direct stream copy, Select File, save avi.

This works for avi's that have a different AUDIO bitrate.

For videos that have a different VIDEO bitrate/framerate, etc., in STEP 1, select Video, Full Processing. Select Video, Framerate. Select "Convert to fps", and input the desired framerate. (Only do this if you MUST change framerate, so both video's have the same one).
    Select Video, Compression, and choose a codec. Select File, Save avi.
    Do exactly the same in step 2, choosing the same codec, framerate (if necessary), and compression.
    Go to STEP 3.

2. Goob13

Goob13 Member

thanks man that actually worked! now its only 2gb which is better than 11gb. anyways how do u split an avi cause as i said before i only have the 93gb avi file. so i need to split and do your method over again.

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Open it in virtualdub.
    Select the first frame of the portion you DO NOT want, click the Mark In button.
    Select the last frame of the portion you DO NOT want, click the Mark Out button.
    Hit the DEL key on your keyboard.
    Click File, Save avi.
    Repeat as necessary.
    This will save a new avi, of the portion you DID NOT select or delete.
    Note: This does not actually Delete anything from your computer.

A 93GB avi doesn't mean anything. If you think this is too large to put on one DVD, it may not be. The running time of the avi, and the bitrate selected for the encoded mpg, determine the file size.
    An uncompressed avi, although 93GB, may only have a running time of 40 minutes, which will easily fit on a disk. A DivX compressed version of the same avi, will have the same running time, but may only be a few meg.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  4. Goob13

Goob13 Member

i dont get what your saying. i know that the avi file is 2hours long. i dont want to put it on dvd. i need it to take up less space on my computer so if needs to be a divx compressed avi then so be it. but i just need to know how to do that. because i dont want to delete any of the movie. so im asking how do i compress an avi with divx?

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Open it in virtualdub, select Video, Compression, DivX, then select File, save as avi.

6. -mm-

-mm- Member

I tried that with him yesteday Jim. I personally did it with a 700mb avi and it reduced it by about 2/3. But he tried it and the 93gb file stayed the same.

The reason I believe he ended up with the large avi is because when he used Vdub the first time, he didnt select Direct Stream and used Full Processing. Anyway, i told him to try it again next time with Direct stream and not delete the source until he is sure that the output is exactly as he wants it.

7. lildude4

lildude4 Member

Hi guys,

I have tried merging two AVI files with VirtualDub, but right in the middle, where they have been merged, the sound fades out, and becomes quieter. Then the second half sounds quieter then the first half, although it does eventually become louder.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

8. -mm-

-mm- Member

If you are trying to join two avis... you have to open the first part that you want to join and you have to make sure your audio and video are set to direct stream copy. This is what has worked for me in the past with no problems. Then when you have those both set, click on file and append to avi and find the second avi that you want to join to the first one and select that. Then you should have both of them set there together. Then just click save as avi, name the file, remember the directory you are putting it in, and you should have it after its done merging the two together. It works for me that way with no problems.

If they are two different audio sample rates you are starting with, then you will most likely have problems with the audio in the final combined avi. You would need to follow the suggestions in the earlier part of this thread if that is the problem.

I hope this helps and if you have other questions, just ask. Some others on the forum might be able to help as well.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  9. lildude4

lildude4 Member

It's one movie broken down into two parts, so all aspects are the same (IE: Sampling rate, audio rate etc)

I followed those instructions exactly MM, and what I am saying is that right in the middle of the final copy (right where the merge take place), the audio gets quiet, and inaudible for a few seconds, then it gets louder, but is still quiet.

One thing I noticed with gspot is that the bitrate for video is not exactly the same, it's like 1100 vs 1400, will that make a difference?

10. JonLord

JonLord Member

I found my 2nd avi file was louder than my first, I had to ajust the volume in the audio menu for the 2nd avi file before i joined them.

Why the person who compressed the 2 files i had didnt use the same audio codec i will never know.

Also i find my files, after converting the audio, have made my avi's about 3/4 the size of the original...

my original had 448kbs bit rate, the new ones are 1411kbs...
    Should i lower the sampling rate?

11. -mm-

-mm- Member

Not sure why that happens lildude4, but I do know, as JonLord says, that people do crazy things ie: making different bitrates, sampling rates, volumes for 2 files that came from the same source.

Try this:

Get an app. called ULEAD DVD Movie Factory 2. Put both of your avis in there and create a DVD, then run the DVD files through DVD2AVI or a similar app, if you want to have an avi. See if that gives you the same result.

Someone else on here may be able to help as well.

12. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Extract the audio from the second (quieter) video in vdub, to .wav
    Use Goldwave or Audacity to make it louder.
    Add the new .wav back to the .avi in vdub.

13. -mm-

-mm- Member

Sounds like a plan lidude4, try that one!!

14. lildude4

lildude4 Member

Thanks a lot for the responses guys.

The problem wasn't that the second AVI was itself quieter, it was that when I tried to join the AVI's, it would be quieter right where they merged, and eventually the volume would increase again.

So what I ended up doing was offsetting the 1st AVI by about 7 frames, and this worked like magic! The loud click or pop noise disappeared, but the sound seemed to overlap ever so slightly.

However, when I converted and then burned to DVD, the scene looked seamless.

Thanks again guys. :)

15. -mm-

-mm- Member

Glad it worked out for you. There always seems to be problems with working with avi files. But, glad it finally got resolved :)

16. Sannas

Sannas Member

rebootjim i have read through your way of using virtualdub as i have found dvd santa a bit lacking, However when i come to try and save my first AVI i get an error message "no audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format(source format tag: 2000)".

Now looking at the file with gspot it reports that the audio codec is misconfigured[more info].
    Heres more info

Audio Format:
    Code: 0x2000
    Name: WAVE_FORMAT_AC3
    Vendor: Dolby Laboratories, Inc

The following codes all claim to be capable of processing this format:

Pinnacle AC3 Encoder (2 Channels)
    -> Moonlight Odio Dekoda
    Nero Digital Audio Decoder

DirectShow was also able to find a codec to render it - the sound for this media clip should work fine.

See the DirectShow Rendor details for more info.

When i rendor the file it states in the audio path (S)-> Avi Splitter -> Nero Digital Audio Decoder -> (R)

audio bitrate 192 kb/s (96/ch, stereo)CB fs:48000 Hz

Please Help and thanks in advance

17. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Your system is trying to use the Nero digital audio decoder for AC3 audio. Virtualdub can't use it.
    Get the one here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Decoder.htm
    You'll also need a different virtualdub.
    Download either virtualdub-mod, or virtualdub-ac3, and you'll have no problems.

18. DVDeviant

DVDeviant Member

Just wanted to reply to this thread and give a big thanx to rebootjim and mm. I was having difficulties combining 2 avi's using Easy Video Joiner. Used VirtualDub for the first time, although I had heard of it before, and everything went smoothly. You guys saved me a headache. Thanx again.

19. kinam

kinam Member

can someone repost "guide to convert AVI files using DVDShrink".

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005