1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you convert a TIVO file to a mpeg file?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by IrshSiren, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrshSiren

IrshSiren Member

I have TIVO and I have downloaded some programs, using TIVO Desktop, onto my computer. The thing is, I want to be able to view these programs onto my laptop, but I can not burn a CD with the TIVO format. Is there anything I can do to convert it? Thanks!

2. scottas

scottas Guest

3. pcbguy

pcbguy Member

By far the easiest way to convert a .tivo file is to use Dr. Divx. It takes about 4 clicks and it saves as a Divx. Super easy.

4. gallowta

gallowta Member

pcbguy -- can you elaborate? I downloaded the divx player,, but how do i convert??

thanks so much

5. pcbguy

pcbguy Member

You need the Dr. Divx package. Not just the player. I will PM you with some details.

6. MarvinH

MarvinH Member

I don’t know about the other software mentioned but - If and when you get TiVo, here is the way to archive the hard disc files. After you get TiVo, you may have to wait about three business days to get TiVo Togo and connect it with you computer. Download and install Tivo Desktop on your computer and download the shows you want to archive or burn DVDs of. The files will be .tivo files and to make files that will play on any DVD player, convert them to .wmv files with EtiVo DirectShow Dump go here to get it. http://prish.com/etivo/tbr.htm you may want to convert them to .avi or .mpeg to make DVDs.

This process takes a lot of time downloading and converting, etc. However, I have found a back door (Shshshsh don’t tell TiVo) – you can archive in real time and burn a DVD of the files on your TiVo that will play on any DVD player. I use a Sony DVDirect VRDVC20 recorder connected to the TiVo with RCA connection as if it were a VCR. In the TiVo “Now Playing List” Select a Program to record and Select “Save to VCR”. Ready the Sony DVD Direct with a blank DVD and settings of your choice (quality, etc.)> Select “Start saving from the beginning” and “REC” button on the Sony DVD Direct. When the program is over stop the recording and Finalize the DVD and that’s it. It is said that “the record from RCA is not really a hack -- it's something people have been doing since the TiVo1 era. The problem is of course, that you don’t get a digital copy, but rather an analog one”. The person who said this is a top innovator with TiVo and I respect what he says, however using the Sony DVD Direct gives a terrific high quality DVD of the files from the TiVo hard disc.

7. Jarritos

Jarritos Member

i got dr divx but it does not convert tivo files.

8. pcbguy

pcbguy Member

Seems that the tivo files can no longer be converted easily with Dr. Divx. Oh well have to find another way.

9. monique44

monique44 Member

10. andy25

andy25 Regular member

ok i downloaded tv harmony and when i try to convert some .tivo files that i have on a dvd it takes like a second and it says complete but when i try to go to the folder i set them to go theres nothing there whats goin on?

11. andyfree

andyfree Member

Convert tivo to MPEG, tivo to DVD following this guide
    http://www.dvd-ripping.biz/tivo-to-dvd.html
    Transfer tivo to PC first using tivo desktop software, then convert to MPEG and burn DVds.
    The guide also describe how to convert tivo to iPod & PSP.
    I think there will be a lot of tivo users record Tv shows about 2006 FIFA world cup and enjoy on PC, DVD player or iPod.
    lol.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  12. wgrimes

wgrimes Guest

I transferred my Tivo files to my PC, but DirectShow Dump does not recognize them. It doesn't even have the tivo extension as a supported file type in the drop down menu. I have the latest version, so I don't know what is going on. Any ideas?

13. cdeviney

cdeviney Member

14. collarme

collarme Regular member

15. trimjim

trimjim Member

I have been trying to convert tivo to dvd. I have tivo desktop 2.3a to transfer files to pc. I then filter through either direct show dump and edit commercials with mpeg2vcr or I filter and edit with videoredo. I then convert and burn with convertxtodvd. When I take the finished dvd and play back in a stand alone dvd player the picture is jumpy whenever there is movement on the screen. If I playback in pc with powerdvd the picture is smooth throughout movement, it is as if the frame rate is not correct or something for tv. The picture details from the dvd are 720x480 29.97 fps. Any ideas?

16. cdeviney

cdeviney Member

What brand of DVD-R are you using?
    What speed are you using during the burn?
    Have you tried paying the disc on more than one standalone DVD player?

Try changing brand of disc and slowing burn speed.

17. trimjim

trimjim Member

Verbatim +rw
    4.0x
    I only have one stand alone dvd player, it is 6 mos. old Sony.
    What speed do you normally burn at?
    I have burned other dvd material on these verbatim +rw discs and never had a problem. I guess I will experiment with a different disc and see if the outcome is any better.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  18. cdeviney

cdeviney Member

4X speed should be fine.
    Does the maunual say the player will play DVD+RW?
    Try a different brand of disc?
    Try a different format of disk (DVD-R or DVD-RW)?

19. trimjim

trimjim Member

Since my last post I have done quite a bit of reading regarding this subject, while I am in no way an expert on converting mpegs to dvd, I have experience in copying and burning dvds.
    With that said I have tried diff. disks (+rw,+r,verbatim,memorex) and I dont think it is the discs or a burner issue.
    I am thinking it is an issue with the fact that tivo uses 480x480 23.97fps for their video storage and possibly a different codec than what the set top dvd uses or it is a convertxtodvd problem.
    In the replayed video on set top dvd any time there is movement on the screen it appears as though the picture is stuttered, not in sync, from frame to frame. Still shots with hardly any movement look fine.
    After using videoredo to edit the file I then transfered the edited mpg file back to tivo and the picture looked great, no problems.
    If I then burn that edited mpg file via convertxtodvd and play in set top I am back to same picture problem.
    I did try the dvd on different set top dvd and different tv and had the same picture problems.
    If I play that dvd on my computer the picture looks fine.
    I have tried simply converting with convertxtodvd and burning with nero 6 or dvdshrink, same results.
    I have also converted and burned somne avi files that were 640x480 and they play perfectly which brings me back to the 480x480 issue.
    Is this going from 480 to 720 wide the issue in that convertxtodvd is having to interpolate so much area that its guessing at what the areas should be.
    I guess i could try and send a converted and burnt 720x480 mpg file to tivo and see what it does with that.

20. trimjim

trimjim Member

Well I converted the file with convertxtodvd to a vob file, renamed it as a mpg and transfered back to tivo and it plays perfectly.

But if I take that same vob file and burn it to a dvd and try to watch it with the set top dvd player the picture is all jittery and stuttered whenever there is movement on screen.

If I then take the dvd and play it on my computer the picture is fine.

I dont get it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.