1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timestamp for your personal capture DV

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by kondordv, Aug 30, 2005.

1. kondordv

kondordv Member

There is anyone how can I capture timestamp (datetime) from my camcorder using a firewire, which sofware is capturing that time and date directly stamp on my movie.

thank you,

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

As far as I know there is no software that pulls out the timestamp and prints it on the video while capturing.
    However, the timestamp is also in the AVI-file after capturing through Firewire. There are a couple of programs that can extract it and put it in a file so that you can print (using subtitling) it on the video. Here are a couple of free programs: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php in the section "Various Utilities".

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  3. kondordv

kondordv Member

You have all right because I'm using that methodbut for me is taking 2 times more worktime and is hardly and not pleasured. In past I read somewhere that there is a plugin for Adobe Premiere Pro 7 doing capturing and stamping in the same time but still not put in practice. I thing that for programmers is very easy to do this why they don't do it?

Any news are wellcome.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I have not heard of this plugin, but if it will be available I assume it will capture the timestamp in a separate file which then can be used as an overlay or filter in Premiere.
    The issue is that printing the timestamp directly on the video while capturing would require real-time recompressing. This would probably take too much CPU power or would have to be done at low quality settings.

5. kondordv

kondordv Member

Let's think very clear. DV capture means no loss quality everything is on tape frame by frame will be on PC. So for my knowledge I think that it's not taking so much resourses to sume 2 picture frames, one from camcorder and another one from extracting date and time, I think that for extracting for 1 frame is very low resourse. So theoreticaly by my mind it could be possible don't you think. And I know very well that I read this in past as I told you before.

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, I am thinking very clear, at least that is what I think ;-)
    Let me explain.
    Video on DV tape is compressed with a DV codec. When transferring through Firewire, no decompression or compression is taking place: it is simply a bit for bit tranfer of digital data. When you want to combine to frames (one with the video data and one with the timestamp) this is the process that needs to be executed:
    1. Decompress a frame from the video
    2. Add the frame with the timestamp
    3. Compress the resulting frame again
    4. Store it in a file
    You can see this process happening in Premiere also when you put an overlay on a videotrack. At places where overlays have been placed that video is rendered again (meaning decompressing and compressing again).

7. bobcat564

bobcat564 Member

Hello to everyone, this is my first post on this fine forum. Kondordv: here is a link to two free software programs you may be interested in one is called Dvdate, and the other is CaptureFlux, both by the same programmer. With these two programs you should be able to accomplish the date & time video imprinting, and a whole lot more.
    http://paul.glagla.free.fr/index_en.htm

8. muchu

muchu Member

Here's one I use. It's called Visual DV Time Stamp. Can be found here. http://dts8888.com/vDTS/vdts.htm . There is a trial version (free) and a regular version ($20). Well worth it. It takes the captured avi file and then sticks a time stamp and/or date stamp according to your preferences. For example, Every 2:00, or Every scene change, or every date change, etc. There's also language options (Chinese, Japanese,...). It's very easy and does not damage the captured avi. A.