Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well I'd certainly agree with AMD being more overclockable, and though i've no first-hand proof, all the hundreds of people who have said so can't be wrong...

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

A given GPU is pretty much the same regardless of the manufacturer. There are some makes that are more reliable than others. I would avoid anything made by Jeton.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I agreed, if I were willing to sacrifice some memory speed I could go much higher but I figure running at 2.64 with a command rate or 1T is about as good as it gets.

4. Triock

Triock Guest

hey what about me???

5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Triok,
    You don't have to spend several hundred dollars but high end cards do cost that much. Buy what you can afford.

I don't play a lot of games so I don't get a high end video card.

The Sandiego core is a very good newer processor. The Clawhammer is the old original Athlon 64. Sandiego is better.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  6. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

I have the 3700 san diego core athlon 64 and its a wise choice. Whether i overclocked it or not...at max use it would stay at 45c. It didnt matter if it was oc or not. They really dont heat up much and Im using air with stock cooler and heat pad.....no artic silver. Unless ya want to dual core for bout a 100...usd more.:>

I could also recommend the bfg 6800 gt oc editon pci x graphics card with 256 ram. Its bout 350 usd over at newegg...but well worth it. I had mine at 440 gpu clock and 1.4 ghz memory oc using cool bits. Plus its lifetime warranty. But eventually i didnt really notice any signifacant gains from the oc since im running gramma ass alow pc2700 memory in single channel. So im running stock right now and im content. Those are the best bang for ya buck unless ya got more to spend like 500 usd on a bfg 7800 gt oc edition with 256 ram or a 1000 usd for a fx. But I will say one thing. I had my 300 usd san diego oced to the stock of the fx chip:>

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To ozzy214,
    I'm not too sure how long the 6800 will be a good buy. I was in Fry's the other day and they had a Gforce 7800 for $399.00 (E-VGA)! The 7800 is head and shoulders above the 6800 as it has 256MB of 600-MHz DDR3 memory and a frame rate almost twice as fast as the 6800 at the same given resolution. This video card hit the street just a few months ago at $600.00 and already we are seeing it for $399. I expext it to drop another 50 to 75 dollars before Christmas. I would be inclined to wait a few months as you will then get the most advanced video card (for now) on the planet for just about the same money. The 7800 will do 50 fps at 1600x1200 WITH antialiasing on. It's nearest competitor (the 6800) cranked out 34! Given the fact that for now Nvidia has set the standard, ATI will have to respond. Their 850 Platinum ( the previous speed champ) only managed 17 fps in the same test Hell, we could even wind up with a price war which can only mean lower prices for us, the end consumer! Ah, the benefits of healthy competition!!!
    My personal prefrence is for XFX video cards. I have owned 5 or 6 of them over the years and have found them to be very reliable. The only one that ever failed was an XFX-400 AGP 4x and it was old when the power supply decided that it didn't like it's voltage settings and created it's own higher ones. Oh well, I guess it was old enough to smoke. Fortunatly, the load it put on the MB when it failed shut down the power supply to where it wouldn't even reset until the agp card was pulled. Everything else survived!
    While I'm at it a word about power supplies. The other day I worked on a computer that the owner had built. He took his old computer (Gateway), replaced the MB, CPU & memory. He added a DVD-rom, DVD Burner, CD-RW and 2 120GB hard drives. He never bothered to see what the power supply was rated at. He found out the hard way that 250 watts is not enough to run all of that. To top it all off, he had the wake-up on lan/usb turned on. It wiped out EVERYTHING but the hard drives. Motherboard, CPU, memory, AGP card, Lan and Fax modem (big Bucks!). www.netseller.com has excellent quality 450 watt ATX power supplies for $21.97 (USD). 550s for $28.97 (USD). They are always having sales so I gave them my e-mail address and I get notified when they have a sale. I picked up an A-Power Game Edition 480 watt one for $23.97 (USD). It has the 12v connector so it can be used for the P-4 as well as AMD. It has 2 80mm fans, one on the bottom and one out the back. On my present machine I have a Vigor 480 dual fan w/120mm on the bottom and an 80mm on the front side rather than the back like most. Both light up with blue LEDs. I bought it on sale a few months ago for $19.99 from www.geeks.com. Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me!
    theonejrs

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ozzy214,
    Check that! It's a Demon 480 Silver Chrome. Dislexia of the eyes!!!

theonejrs

9. brobear

brobear Guest

ozzy214
    Arctic Silver, thermal grease, thermal paste, thermal discs (heat activated thermal grease)... Something to promote heat transfer and dissipation through the heatsink should be used with a CPU. That's how air cooling is supposed to work. Don't think I'd go bragging about poor build techniques. Hopefully the novice builders don't follow your example.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2005
  10. Triock

Triock Guest

Ok. i get what cpu i need to get, but what king of motherboard???
    I want a good, reliable motherboard.... I know asus is good, but who else is good.. cause right know i am looking at one that is a 100.00, but it is just to plane... ;) ... and is kingston good ram. my dad said it was.. i was going to get either cosar or kingson ram for about 100.00 and get a gig... i know what cpu i am going to get but everything else i am a little skimpy...
    Thanks,
    Triock

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Check out ABIT, DFI, and GIGABYTE. I still like the ASUS as far as bang for the buck though; good "stuff".

12. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

I didnt say foloow my example bear. All I was stating is that I used stock heatsink and stock heat transferring pad that came with the heatsink. I did this cause amd is picky about warranty and if the stock heatsink is used.

Besides.....most articles state your not supposed to use nothing other than a thermal pad. No artic silver..no grease...just the pad. Cause the silver can fade over time....but not the pad. Its there for life.

As far as the 7800 goes I imagine it can push frame rates better, but I dont have a monitor worthy of it. I dont have nothing that can handle 1200 x 1600. But I will tell ya one thing. The 6800 I got cranks doom online no problem at 70 fps with a old supermatch monitor that is ten yrs old and 1024 by 768 with antialiasing at 2x. It actuall7y cranks better than when I had the dell lcd 17 inch flat screen. And I almost had it oc to the value of the 7800. 1.7 ghz memory and 430 gpu clock. Thats higher than even the x800 radeon whcih is a shit card and cause me nothing but problems. Radeon sucks...nividia rules.....

13. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

I didnt say foloow my example bear. All I was stating is that I used stock heatsink and stock heat transferring pad that came with the heatsink. I did this cause amd is picky about warranty and if the stock heatsink is used.

Besides.....most articles state your not supposed to use nothing other than a thermal pad. No artic silver..no grease...just the pad. Cause the silver can fade over time....but not the pad. Its there for life.

As far as the 7800 goes I imagine it can push frame rates better, but I dont have a monitor worthy of it. I dont have nothing that can handle 1200 x 1600. But I will tell ya one thing. The 6800 I got cranks doom online no problem at 70 fps with a old supermatch monitor that is ten yrs old and 1024 by 768 with antialiasing at 2x. It actuall7y cranks better than when I had the dell lcd 17 inch flat screen. And I almost had it oc to the value of the 7800. 1.7 ghz memory and 430 gpu clock. Thats higher than even the x800 radeon whcih is a shit card and cause me nothing but problems. Radeon sucks...nividia rules.....

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

"Thats higher than even the x800 radeon whcih is a shit card and cause me nothing but problems. Radeon sucks...nividia rules....."

"amd 3700+ san diego core
    one gig kingston pc2700 ram"

I'm not even going to say anything, just shake my head...

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

Sorry but the X800 is a great card, it's not as fast as the 7800 which is moot point (the 7800 is a newer card) since it will still play any game at the highest resolution with 60 or better frames and more than one test has verified that its video gives slightly better color balance and detail than the Nvidia cards do. And like Nvidia, reliability is determined by the manufacturer and not the GPU. I have both ATI and Nvidia cards and I have no complaints about either. The fact that you had a problem doesn't make it a shit card it means that you just had shit luck. LOL

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To Sophocles and all,
    I have been playing with the overclock settings on my Asus P4P-800-SE MB. When I OC to 10% my memory bandwidth drops dramaticly. See below!
    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5076/330turboon0la.jpg I've sent the big one so you can see all the specs. I there anything I can do to improve this?
    Also, I just got my heart broken! I have read that the baddest PCI express card you can use for SLI on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium or Deluxe is the 6800. Do you know anything about this? I was planing on using 2 7800s!

Sincerely,
    Russ

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What are your CPU, front side bus, and memory timing settings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.