1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide - DVD & Video 2 iPod (new)

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

[bold]Video Conversion Tutorial[/bold] (For Windows Users)

Before you convert your files, please bear in mind the general limits which the iPod carries~

[bold]H.264 video[/bold]: up to 768 Kbps, 320x240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats.

[bold]MPEG-4 video[/bold]: up to 2.5 mbps, 480x480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

[bold]DVD to iPod[/bold]

If you're a Windows user, PQ~DVD works great for DVD to iPoD conversion. The program is simple to use, works flawlessly, and rips the DVD content you want fast.

It's just a few simple steps to make an iPod video from a DVD with this software:

1) [bold]Insert the DVD[/bold].

2) Your DVD may begin to play automatically through your PQDVD, but if it does not, click `File` and `Open DVD`.

3) Click around in the DVD's menu to set up DVD playback as you like. Select language, subtitles, specific chapter, etc..(If you activate these options, they will be active throughout your converted DVD)
    [​IMG]

4) You can adjust/modify the aspect ratio at this point. But note, it can distort the picture quality.

-If you click 'record' at this point, you will be met with this message.
    [​IMG]

It gives you the choice of if you want to start recording now, whilst the menu is still up, or to wait until the actual movie starts playing. Unless you really want to have the menu clip recorded aswell, select `Wait for main movie to start`.

5) Using the dvd menu to navigate, begin the movie.
    [​IMG]
    Use the video playback controls to queue up the point at which you want to start recording. If you want to record from the begining, drag the blue button along the bar at the bottom to the start of the movie.

6) Click the `Record` button. You will be met with this screen
    [​IMG]

All you have to do here is select a folder in which to store your recorded files in.

Once that is done, the movie plays at a fast-forward speed as it records to the .MP4 file.

7) Click the `Stop` button when you want to stop recording (Or, leave it to run until the end if you wish to record the whole thing).
    At the end, you will be met with a screen confirming that you have sucessfully converted your file, and issues instructions as to how to import them to your iTunes music player, and subsequently, your iPod.

[bold]Video to iPod [/bold]

This is also a very good method of converting the videos that you already have stored on your HDD.

1) Go `File` and `Open Video File`

2) Now your video should begin to play. At this point, you can adjust the settings to what you prefer. (Video quality, Aspect ratio, Audio & video settings seen on the top-right hand side.)
    [​IMG]
    Use the video playback controls (at the bottom) to queue up the point at which you want to start recording. For example, if you want to record from the begining, drag the blue button along the bar to the start of the movie.

3) Now press `record it`.

As with the DVD conversion, you will be met with this screen -
    [​IMG]

All you have to do is select the place on your HDD in which you wish to save your video files once they have been converted.

4) As with the DVD conversion, you will be met with a screen at the end telling you that your conversion was sucessful and advising you on how to get the videos onto your iPod. Shown here:

[​IMG]

You can demo/buy the product at http://www.pqdvd.com/

It is definetely worth the money if you want good, clean & fast converting. As you can see from the screenshots, it is very easy to navigate with the easy-to-use interface.

[bold] Converting Video Files Using Quicktime Pro[/bold]

Here is a simple walkthrough of how to convert using Quicktime Pro

Before you even begin, it is advisable to get the latest itunes first

[bold]Itunes 6[/bold]
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

1) Get quicktime basic http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download

2) Then unlock quicktime pro http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/win.html

3) In the main window of quicktime pro, Click on [bold]file[/bold] and scroll down to [bold]open file[/bold]. (Then locate your file that you wish to synchronise to your video ipod)
    [​IMG]

4) Choose [bold]Export[/bold]
    [​IMG]

-Choose "Movie to iPod (320x240) from there & click the Save button.
    [​IMG]

-Note - It can take a Fair while to export full-length movies

Then, Once it is complete, quickTime pro will place on your Desktop a new version of your movie that will play on the iPod. Double-click the new file and play it to make sure it looks as you expect.

5) To open it with itunes, right click on the video once you have located it, scroll down to [bold]open with[/bold]. Then simply select itunes.

6) Finally, attach your ipod to your computer and sync it with iTunes.

[bold]Videora[/bold] ~

DVD to iPod
    (requires DVD Decrypter)

For Legal reasons, I cannot link to the download of DVD Decrpter. It is still available on the web, but obviously, you'll have to find it yourself.

The download of videora ipod converter can be found here - http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

-------------------------------------

1) Place the DVD you want to rip your video from into your DVD drive.

2) Launch DVD Decrypter.

3) Go to the Mode menu and select `IFO` I mode. This will give you access to two new tabs Input & Stream Processing:
    [​IMG]

4) Then, go `Tools` then `Settings` go to the IFO tab, then under Options, change File Splitting to [bold]None[/bold] and press `OK`.

5) Now go back to the main menu and select the `Stream Processing` tab. Check the box net to it so it is enabled, and only select the first video listed, as well as the audio. The encoded video's don't support any sort of subtitles, so uncheck that box if it's ticked.
    [​IMG]

6) Choose a location where you would like the DVDRip to go. Click on the Browse button (shown on screenshot below), locate the folder & click OK.

[​IMG]

7) Now go `File` and `Decrypt` to begin. (It can take up to 15 minutes or even longer to rip the movie to your computer- depending on how good your computer is and how large the DVD is). Follow the next section to find out how to convert the decrypted DVD to iPod.

[bold]Any Video (Or Your decrypted DVD) to iPod using Videora.[/bold]

1) Download Videora Here: http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

2) Once you have downloaded, installed and run the program, follow these few steps to enable sound conversion to iPod-compatible video.

a) Click `Convert` then `Transcode New Video`. Then locate the file that you ripped using the Decrypter and click `Open` (or locate the video file on your computer you already have)

b) Once the video has loaded up, you can rename it if you wish in the box next to `Title`. When you are done, just lick `Start`.

c) Once it's done transcoding, your video is ready for the iPod. The finished file will be located in the [bold]`Output Videos to:`[/bold] folder specified in the Setup seciton. Now all you have to do is open iTunes & import as normal. :)

Additionially, you could use imTOO converter, guide here.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/297023

Good luck.

Lethal

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. adamryer

adamryer Guest

Im not sure but i think that mpeg 4 and quicktime movies are the only types of movie files that ipod video supports. Future firmware updates could include support for different video file formats tho.

3. LifesBane

LifesBane Member

Just to kind of jump in on this one since you seem to be so familiar with the new iTunes videos... any ideas on how to do the reverse of this and convert the shows I've bought off of iTunes into other formats? :)

( My thread for reference: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/244705#1367317 )

4. liviyaa

liviyaa Member

Hi,
    Yeah, I tried what you suggested using the psp-9 to convert dvd to mpeg-4 but it seems that my video plays ahead than the sound. Picture comes before sound. Can you help. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  5. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

First off, excellent guide lethal. Although i have a couple suggestions....
    Instead of PSP Video 9, you can also try Pocket Divx Encoder
    http://divx.ppccool.com/ which is very fast and good quality and has an option to resync if there are sync issues.

Secondly, here is a great (with pics and links) guide of how to turn your DVDs into excellent quality avis which you can then put through PSP video 9 or Pocket Divx Encoder and enjoy DVDs on your video player!
    http://rita.lt/guides/AutoGK_DVDtoAVI.htm

As always, keep up the good work!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  6. Lethal_B

Thanks DVD, and Thanks for the additions! :) BTW, with the DIVX encoder, will it compress, well not compress, but downsize my videos like psp9?

cheers m8

Lethal

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  7. DVDBack23

lethal,
    Sorry man, college tires a man out,so could you explain your question more? ;)

8. westym

westym Member

Does PSP Video 9 convert audio as well? I had a problem where a video file wouldn't play, and my assumption is because the audio isn't AAC.

9. Lethal_B

Haha, KNOW THE FEELING!!

dont worry man, got it sorted ;)

Lethal

10. Wjason777

Wjason777 Regular member

is it possible to convert a xvid movie that i download on the ipod video?

11. DVDBack23

wjason,

Yes it is, use the same method lethal wrote in his guide or use pocket divx encoder. Enjoy!

12. forrizzle

forrizzle Member

Ok... I might be a complete idiot, but... I cant seem to make the .MP4 show up anywhere in iTunes... I have the newest version, and I just dont know how to get it to show up.. Thanks in advance!

-----

Does PSP 6 not let you convert .AVI files? Because it just goes through it instantly and the final file is 0kb....?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  13. TeeDeeKay

TeeDeeKay Member

I have been converting video with the PSP Video 9 while awaiting the arrival of my new iPod. Got it! I used exactly the settings that are pictured above, and yet when I try to update it with my MP4's, the message I get is basicly "The videos were not copied becase they cannot be played on this iPod."

A little help? I also just tried the Pocket Divx Encoder but I can't seen to figure out how to get it to encode to MP4.

-Mike

14. Lethal_B

The guide will be updated in 2 hours so you may be able to sort your problem out then ;)

15. TeeDeeKay

TeeDeeKay Member

I just found this other free software called Videora iPod Converter, which looks and functions exactly like the PSP Video 9. The difference? It creates videos that actually work for me. :)

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

-Mike

16. Wjason777

Wjason777 Regular member

when i convert videos with psp and try to put them into my library i get and error in itunes saying it needs to shut down, can someone help please

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  17. Laxington

Laxington Member

... hi folks, another question: the guide above works fine but the videos with 16:9 widescreen doesnt work on ipod (368x208) any idea how to convert widescreen movies?

thx in advance
    lax

18. toddg76

toddg76 Member

everytime i download this psp9 program or videora, the app just dissappears off my hard drive whn i open it. WTF???

19. OCDgamer

OCDgamer Member

What types of video files are considered MPEG-4. I'm not the most computer savvy member on here but I try. :)

20. Wjason777

Wjason777 Regular member

Ok i downloaded the.simpsons.1703.pdtv.avi encoded it with psp video using leathels guide, and i used Videora iPod Converter, but when i try to drag the file to itunes i get and error and it closes out itunes, now when i try it doesnt even let me. Could someone please help me i have the latest verson of itunes and the ipod video.