1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I DOWNLOADED THESE .01 .02 /.001 .002/.part1.rar .part2.rar FILES....what do i do?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hursty, Oct 23, 2005.

1. hursty

hursty Active member

NEEDS EDITING......MY HD has been reformated,and i have lost some pics
    will replace them soon

Well,you need to look at this guide,if you have downloaded something,and you dont know what to do next.

IF one of the below questions relates to you,then this is the correct place to be

[bold]I have these files,and i dont what to do with them?[/bold]

[bold]HELP,i downloaded this game,and i havent got an ISO,but i do have all these files like .001,.002,003 etc[/bold]

[bold]WTF,arent i supposed to get an iso when i download a game,instead i get all these files?[/bold]

[bold]i downloaded a movie for my son,the files are named like this mvs-sa r00/mvs-sa r01/mvs-sa r02 etc..please help![/bold]

so,for once and for all
    i can gaurantee,that they are most probably rar archives

[bold]RAR FILES? what are they[/bold]

Without going into too much detail,when an uploader wants to upload something,its best to make the upload as small as possible,(saves on downloading time),thus he/she will compress the files.
    they are split into little archives...the size dependant on the actual initial image size/format.
    i.e
    Iso's are normally 50mb segments
    Bins/avi's etc are normally 15 mb segements
    mp3's are not compressable,so are normally not rar'd.

Anyway,back to your files.... you need to follow this

This is a basic guide for those who dont know what rar files are,and dont know what to do with them

[bold]TO OPEN THEM,YOU WILL NEED WINRAR INSTALLED ON YOUR PC[/bold]

The first thing you must do after installing winrar is to untick this tab.

[bold]OPTIONS/SETTINGS/FILE INTERGRATION[/bold]

[​IMG]

If you dont do this,when you download a set of rar files,the chances are you will extract the iso,and that iso will have the winrar icon associated with the iso,and this will make you think it needs extracting again.
    this is why sometimes people complain that they have a a bunch of game files instead of the iso image,thats because they have extracted it again.

You should only ever have to extract a set of rar archives once

[bold]Rar files can come in many forms,under many archives[/bold]

The most common being shown below

[​IMG]

In some cases your pc may not recognise them,and they will look like this

[​IMG]

[bold]However,we know they are rar archives because they will have an extension like..001 .002 .003[/bold]

Basically,when the image was compressed with [bold]winrar[/bold] the option was selected to split the image into lots of rar files

[bold]TAKE NOTE..IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF RAR FILES,YOU ONLY NEED TO EXTRACT THE IMAGE FROM ONE OF THEM[/bold]

[bold]DO NOT EXTRACT EACH RAR FILE INDIVIDUALLY[/bold]

[bold]In simpleton terms[/bold] [bold]YOU ONLY DO THE EXTRACTION PROCESS ONCE[/bold]

[bold]As all the info contained inside the different rar files will be re-joined back together to form the original image[/bold]

It is possible you may just have 1 rar file,it depends on who and how they made it

[bold]step 1[/bold]

Open the folder which contains the rar files,and do as follows.
    See how i have chosen the first rar file from the bunch.
    Just right click on it,and select EXTRACT HERE

[​IMG]

[bold]Thats all there is to it...however[/bold]
    This is where some people run into a bit of trouble,and you get questions like..

1)[bold]Mine dont look like that?[/bold]
    2)[bold]Mine dont have that extension?[/bold]
    3)[bold]MY files have this wierd icon,and i dont know it is[/bold]
    4)[bold]They look like this[/bold]
    [​IMG]
    5)[bold]When i right click,i dont have the option to extract here,i do have the option to open,but when i try that,all i get is this window,saying Windows cannot open this file?[/bold]

It will look like this

[​IMG]

[bold]So[/bold],Do as the above picture shows,then follow the [bold]3 steps[/bold] shown in the diagram below

1)Browse for the program winrar
    2)Tick the tab
    3)Click OK

[​IMG]

Now because you have chosen this route to open the file,Winrar will open itself,and the contents of the rar files will show
    Depending on what you have downloaded,this may be a ISO/BIN/AVI etc etc
    Now you have 2 choices,..

1)You can extract the contents from there,simply by drag/dropping it somewhere else
    2)You can close Winrar,and go back and try to "[bold]Extract Here[/bold] again. (This time Windows knows to do with the file,because you ticked that TAB,rememeber?

[bold]NOTE:[/bold]
    On some versions of winrar,it has problems with some file extensions,and even when selecting the "open with winrar" option,it never recognises the file extension,this applies commonly to the rar archives with the extension .001

Dont panic however,as winrar has the option to manually add user defined archive extensions

OPTIONS/SETTINGS/INTERGRATION/add the file extension in the "user defined archive extension" tab

See diagram

[​IMG]

job done

you have now successfully extracted the contents of your rar files,and you can do what the hell you like with it.

Remember,these diagrams are for information purposes only,and in no way or form do i support piracy,hell no,i dont even know where i got these pictures from.

[bold]On a final note[/bold]:-

info added by Dunker

One thing,that you must MAKE SURE,IS YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF THE SOFTWARE! Compression programs like WinRAR and WinZIP have a considerable history of security problems, particularly serious ones i.e. stack overflows and heap corruptions which allow remote code execution. Since so many of these RARs and ZIPs come from P2P and Bittorrent - in other words, malicious sources - you can be certain that, sooner or later, you will run into maliciously-constructed RAR and ZIP files. You only need to attempt extraction in some cases and bam! you're infected. I suspect that many of these archives aren't merely corrupt, but contain malicious payloads.

http://secunia.com/search/?search=winrar
    http://secunia.com/search/?search=winzip&w=0
    http://secunia.com/search/?search=winace&w=0

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  2. boobooman

boobooman Regular member

i agree should be a sticky

3. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

4. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

see if this thread is stickied why not mine?

could ya change the title of mine to The OFFICIAL best media thread ***FOR GOD's SAKE NOOBS LOOK HERE FIRST!!!!!!!****

5. Glitched

Glitched Guest

Nice Hursty:D

6. appleb

appleb Member

I love that dumbass response you got in the other thread,

"Where can I download the rar files?"

7. ge0127

ge0127 Member

I downloaded a game,obviously in rar. Using WinRar gave me a bigger rar file by the same name, which in turn I decompressed again. The end result was a number of files and folders only two of which were numbered. These two were DAT files. HJSplitter didn't recognise any of the files and DVD Decrypter only "saw" a few(out of a much bigger number of) files that were named JIA2US ,COMMAND or DNAS300. I really tried figuring things out through the forums, but just couldn't find a similar situation. I would really appreciate some help.

8. hursty

hursty Active member

you have probably got winrar to associate iso's(or whatever image type it was) with winrar.
    when you un-rared it the first time,that was it,but it was showing the winrar icon..yes???

open winrar,and go to >OPTIONS/SETTINGS/INTERGRATION....is the iso box checked???..if so,un tick it

the files you have got are the contents of the iso image

9. sean619

sean619 Member

I've tryed exracting the 001 file and it says that it was broken. so I tried joining then with HJsplit but the file still fails to extract at the same place of extracting the orginial file was 2.02gb but he half extrcted rar file is 224mb real small thought there are readable files on Isobuter...is the folder and files corupt or am I doing something wrong?

10. ge0127

ge0127 Member

Thanks. Yes, the icon was of WinRar. I think I understand what you 're suggesting had happened, but I looked and the ISO box wasn't checked. Maybe I should ignore it and and just burn the ISO(the product of the first decompression) regardless of what it appears to be(and, by what you say, isn't)?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  11. hursty

hursty Active member

yes,just burn it
    if it has the "iso"extension,then its an iso image,regardles of what it looks like
    my iso images are not associated with anything,and appear as "unknown file type",but they are still iso's,its just that the pc doesnt know it

12. ge0127

ge0127 Member

Well, that 's it then. Again, thank you for your help.

13. ovrfiendx

ovrfiendx Regular member

I see I'm late for this, but if anyone still looks. you actualy extracted the contents of the Iso."JIA2US ,COMMAND or DNAS300" These are just a couple of the files inside the Iso.

14. psxisoguy

psxisoguy Guest

If any of you guys are nice enough to let download a file like syphon filter ive been searching for months and i cant find anything

15. nofx91l

nofx91l Member

emuparadise.org has every rom for every system. It can't be beat.

16. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

Unfortunately [bold]emuparadise[/bold] also had lots of *leechers & a horrible tracker admin who won't stop it. Tough talk, but they never enforce the seeding rules whatsoever. Much better sites out there.

The standard for PS2 dvd games is an [bold].ISO[/bold] (and sometimes an .MDS) file. For CD games, you'll find .CUE, .BIN and other formats. Depends on which program they used to extract the original. But, you simply [bold]burn one of these files[/bold] to the DVD using Alcohol/DVD Decryptor or whichever program is your favorite. You should NOT have a bunch of files like SYSTEM.CNF or SLUS_21.207 if you do, guess what? You extracted the Binary files which is BAD. Really bad. Hope you saved the original files or know someone who knows which order to burn the smaller files back.
    Now go back to your original and burn that .ISO/.MDS/.BIN/.CUE file and leave those little tiny critters alone. Enjoy teh games

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2006
  17. Joel23

Joel23 Member

Ok i have a big question///

I need download all the data that its show in the torrents or I can download just the file .001 to extract ???

I make this question because I never used the other files like .002, .003,.004 ect....i just used the .001 file to extract because this file have all the data that I need to play my Game..that is 45 MB and after the extract is 2.34GB...

So can I download just the file .001 via Bitcomet or i need download ALL THE TORENT FILE THA IS 1.67GB...????

18. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

19. hursty

hursty Active member

@ joel

you need to download ALL the rar files

although you only ever use/extract from the first archive,it extracts the data from all of them

20. Joel23

Joel23 Member

Thanks Hursty.....Now I understand!!!