1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NMIndexStoreSvr.exe has encountered a problem

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Shonga, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Shonga

Shonga Member

Hi,

Just bought the new Nero 7 upgrade, did a clean install using all of the clean tools, and I keep getting the message that "NMIndexStoreSvr.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." this happens at random times-- for a while it was only happening after I burned a disc, but now it happens as soon as I move MP3 tracks to the disc playlist to be burned. Any ideas? It generally causes the program to crash (or run poorly or slowly), although I've been able to burn a few discs after it happens.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  2. gazza1988

gazza1988 Guest

i am having the exact same problem.

3. Toonsdad

Toonsdad Member

Make that me three. Only mine does it as soon as I go to select a compilation. Oh, and while we are at it, anyone have any idea why Alcohol 120 won't launch on a windows xp mechine? I saw some postings about a logitech camera being the problem but I don't have one of those. I do how ever have a logi keyboard and tracball mouse, all of which I have removed the drivers for just to see. It still wouldn't launch. Any clues or advice would be nice because I would much rather use Alcohol instead of Nero cuz I can copy DVD's right from disk without first coping to HD. Not to mention Nero has become so bulky, who needs all that crap?! Thanks in advance

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

You can try disabling the Nero Scout this has been causing these kind of problems.

6. Shonga

Shonga Member

YES-- this was all experienced with 7.0.1.2 (give people some credit for trying the most obvious solutions!) -- and YES, it turns out that it is Nero Scout, which I've turned off. Everything now works fine.

7. agostinho

agostinho Guest

I'm having the same problem.

8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Did you try disabling the Nero Scout this should correct the error.

9. distorto

distorto Member

i know this thread is old, but just in case anyone else wanted to know, thise file is using 800 mb of PF usage and working my cpu at 13% to 50% constantly.

10. crazyed

crazyed Guest

This is what I did.

Disable "Nero Scout"

Restart XP

CTL-ALT-DEL (click on "processes" and insure no process with nm** is running)

Go to F:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib and rename NMIndexStoreSvr.exe to NMIndexStoreSvr.bak (or any non used extension)

Nero should now function properly.

I found that Nero Vision Express seemed to run NMIndexStoreSvr.exe for some reason but it wasn't required as "nero scout" was disabled.

I hope this works for you!!

11. BarneyRB

BarneyRB Member

Thanks, uninstalling Nero Scout and deleting NMIndexstoreSvr.exe (renaming: .bak) solved this problem. Updating to the last version had not a single effect!

12. ricbrink

ricbrink Member

It's still here in Nero 7 Ultimate. No way to remove it, or not install it. Following the directions, I found it and renamed it as suggested by past users.

Why is nero building the once simple, perfect burner software into a "worst class" bloatware program? Why in 7734 do I need nero to INDEX my hard disk drive for XXX sake? Isn't it bad enough that google and microsoft live want to index it and upload the data to their web sites...

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

that's why i still only use 6.6.0.18, no need for any bloat or bugfixes as that version is 100% stable (will only upgrade if i ever buy a newer DVD burner that isn't supported by 6.6.0.18)

14. Shonga

Shonga Member

It's actually no big deal-- just disable Nero Scout. Scout seems to be a pretty crappy addition to the package, and I'd be interested to know if there are any people out there who really use it. I stay up to date with Nero editions, but haven't had any more trouble with this issue-- just tell the program to disable Scout.

15. wpwms

wpwms Member

I see that people have had problems with Nero Scout for years, and nothing has changed at Nero!!

I too had the pop-up error messages that NMindexStoreSvr.exe caused a problem and needed to close, so I changed the file .exe to another extension. Although this stopped the pop-up error messages, I now see a string of System Errors in the Event Viewer that say:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {25E8A7CA-5874-4F85-BC00-35210131C444}. The error:
    "The system cannot find the file specified. "
    Happened while starting this command:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe" -Embedding

So, I then tried the suggestion to disable the .dll by running:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"

but the System errors still are coming in.

Something is trying to start the NMindexStoreSvr - EVERY 20 SECONDS - and I have hundreds of these error messages in the Event Viewer.

I also see in my Services list, a NMIndexingService that shows a Manual start. I changed that to 'disable', but the errors continue.

What program is trying to start the NMIndexStoreSvr every 20 seconds,
    and how do I make it STOP? Is it the NMIndexingService?

16. Juuju

Juuju Member

I have the same problem as wpwms (above). I've already disabled Nero (well, it doesn't work anymore at least) but the "NMIndexStoreSvr has encountered a problem and needs to close. We're sorry for your inconvenience." still pops up every few minutes, and I don't even use Nero!!

Help please!

17. plaurent

plaurent Member

To get rid of the error and unregister the .dll, try
    at command prompt type in:
    regsvr32 /u "%commonprogramfiles%\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll

18. rekfouri

rekfouri Guest

i downloaded the fix and it didnt stop the problem im at a loss

19. bonrea

bonrea Member

Well folks the news doesn’t get any better. The error is still occurring in Nero 8.

20. dhbrown

dhbrown Member

I just upgraded from v6 to v8... haven't even run the program yet and am getting these errors. I think I agree about bloatware... but I offered to convert some video to various formats and thought the new tools might help.... Anyway...

I did notice that there is a NMIndexingService listed in the Services administrative tool/control panel (Windows XP). Its path does match C:\Program Files\Common Files\Newo\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe. I have stopped the service and disabled it (properties/general/startup type: disabled). It has not tried to reactivate itself.

So, to remove the service, you would issue these commands:
    Code:
    net stop nmindexingservice
    sc delete nmindexingservice
    You will, of course, need administrator privileges. (You can type the name with its capitals if you want...)

I have done this and will report back if I see anything nasty as a consequence. Though as I *still* haven't gotten around to running Nero yet, I'm not sure I'd notice the difference.

(I wonder if everyone having this problem were to file support cases against it, maybe it would cost them enough money to be worth fixing it... but I wonder if it's really something Ahead wrote or if they bought it from some independent developer and now it will rot as a piece of the bloat.)

(Edited to add details)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007