1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NMIndexStoreSvr.exe has encountered a problem

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Shonga, Nov 20, 2005.

1. dhbrown

dhbrown Member

I think Nero BackItUp Scheduler is about to get the same treatment. For Pete's sake... why don't they just sell a whole OS and be done with it?

At least they provide clear descriptions for each service about what it's doing. Not trying to hide things (at least not things that I've found).

Code:
    net stop "Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3"
    sc delete "Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3"
    YMMV

2. magic1362

magic1362 Member

Hi.
    Just go Start>>Run and run services.msc.
    Then stop & disable NMIndexingService.

3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@magic1362,
    This thread has been inactive for at least 3 months...so what's the point of re opening it.

4. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

"This thread has been inactive for at least 3 months...so what's the point of re opening it."

@gwendolin- I have to say I really despise that attitude utterly, and it's not the first time I've seen such forum fascism. What is the problem with you people?

I found this thread BECAUSE I AM HAVING THIS PROBLEM TOO- with Nero8. I just googled it frankly. It was driving me nuts, was it an infiltration, was it my OCing, did I install the new cpu heatsink badly, etc etc? I wasted a day.

Do you get the point NOW gwendolin? Boo to you and your Bl00dy-minded ilk.

And kudos to the folk whom have helped, a whole-hearted thank you.

5. griffinia

griffinia Member

Don't be so hasty, Gwendolin. It just helped me out.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

noted...

also take it easy guys... nero is the bada$$ mofo here, we all the tech support for them as they suck.

7. zxt

zxt Guest

I just installed Nero 8 and got this same error. Thanks to this thread I think I was able to get it fixed.

8. ddread

ddread Member

hi
    Me to suffer from the nmindexstoresvr.exe
    and i tried all of the above and sorry to say none dont work for me
    can anyone tell me what else can be done to get rid of that error
    its getting really frustrating
    thank you

9. Helter99

Helter99 Member

I fixed the problem.

1. Click on Start - Control Panel.
    2. Click Add or Remove Programs
    3. Locate Nero
    4 Click uninstall and follow the on screen instructions for removing Nero once and for all.

Joking apart, I found that this puts a stop to the process starting up in the first place.
    1. Start the registry editor (Start - Run - "regedit" - Enter)
    2. Browse to "My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
    3. Locate the key IndxStoreSvr_{....alphanumeric string....} and delete it.
    4. Find the File NMIndexStoreSvr.exe is located in the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib. Rename it to, say, NMIndexStoreSvr.old.

Rant
    For years Nero was The Biz for home CD/DVD burning and then they had to make the thing completely unusable. Shame on the ahead people. That indexing service is supposed to sit quietly in the background, only using cpu cycles and memory when it is not needed elsewhere but instead it can sit and suck on 50+% of system resources when you're in the middle of something, like when you're just about to set a new world record in your favourite game, or just as you run round the corner and find 12 monsters waiting for you and you can't run away or fight because your hard disk is busy being indexed. Help from Nero support??? Not flaming likely.

Disclaimer
    Please note that this advice is "as is" and may or may not cause other problems. Don't blame me, it's up to you whether you want to risk it or not. ;)

Edited 10th June 2008

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  10. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

Unfortunately I do use the video editing software of Nero. And have a few projects on the go. If anyone can suggest a better intuitive editing program I would greatly appreciate it. I found magic1362's advice worked fine.

11. LSHAW1

LSHAW1 Member

I agree! I had to reformat and reinstall my hard drive a month or so ago, and that includes Nero 7 Ultimate! Now, all of a sudden, I was getting the same error message: 9b0NMIndexStoreSvr.exe has encountered a problem and will close.[/b]

After trying for a few hours to figure out what the problem was, I finally resorted to "googling" the exact error message, and I got this forum. THANK YOU for the information provided (even if it WAS several months ago!), because after following your instructions, I NO LONGER get any error messages. It was easy! In fact, I didn't even have to "restart" my PC before disabling all the "nm..." start-up files.

So, for those having this problem with Nero 7, please try the following: (it worked for me!)

Disable "Nero Scout"

Restart XP

CTL-ALT-DEL (click on "processes" and insure no process with nm** is running)

Go to F:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib and rename NMIndexStoreSvr.exe to NMIndexStoreSvr.bak (or any non used extension)

Nero should now function properly.

AND IT DOES!
    God bless for your help!

12. jnfr917

jnfr917 Member

OMG thank you. I reformatted my computer last week and when I tried to burn my first movie, this error came up and ignored it. I have had issues with burning movies ever since... not formatting right. I don't know if this was the issue or not.

I just did a brand new reformat last night... this same damn error came up. I have now went into start>>run and services and disabled it :)

I tired to get rid of Nero Scout and disable that but I still got the same error..so hopefully this was my fix.

I did not know wnat nmindexstoresvr.exe was.... so I googled it and this was one of the first links to come up.

By the way...running Nero 8 just in case you wanted to know what version I had.

Tried disabling nero scout and restarting...error popped right back up..so there has got to be another part of the nero progam running it.

13. micoder

micoder Member

Well,
    I just tried deleting NMIndexStoreSvr.exe.
    It was in program files/common files etc
    This fixed Nero 7.5.9

14. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

What beats me is the massive balls-up this is on (Ahead) Nero's part- unbelievable.

15. dhbrown

dhbrown Member

Just a note of caution to those of you who are simply deleting files rather than actually uninstalling the services. I believe (but am not sure) that this will prevent the "Last Known Good" configuration of Windows from updating. This could be a problem for you in the future if you ever needed that fall-back function of Windows. Information on using the "sc" command to actually uninstall the service is earlier in this thread.

16. micoder

micoder Member

dhbrown

NMIndexStoreSvr.exe was not in my list of programs to uninstall. It was not listed under services. So, I was completely unable to uninstall or disable this program. However, it still kept coming up every time I selected a format for burning.

I simply changed it to NMIndexStoreSvr.bak and that was the end of the trouble. Do you still think I will lose my restore point?

Michael

17. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

magic1362's advice, previous page, works fine.

18. dhbrown

dhbrown Member

Michael,

It's been quite a while since I was disabling these things on my system. It's quite possible I'm misremembering filenames, but "Svr" sounded like "server" which sounds like it should run as a service? Anyway, if you don't see anything Nero-related in the Services management snap-in, you should be fine (at least for what I was concerned about).

(I know that I did remove one or two services, and I do believe that if I had simply deleted their target files, that would have been flagged as a non-good configuration on startup.)

19. Helter99

Helter99 Member

Hi, I think you should remove the registry key that tries to start up the service as well, just to be sure. Otherwise you'll have a registry key trying to start a service where it can't find the file (because you changed the name). Keeps things tidy.

1. Start the registry editor (Start - Run - "regedit" - Enter)
    2. Browse to "My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
    3. Locate the key IndxStoreSvr_{....alphanumeric string....} and delete it.

20. H_Seldon

H_Seldon Member

I had this problem a long time ago with Nero 7 and then it simply stopped.
    I just had to reinstall my media players including Nero 7, and the problem is back, but even worse.
    I'm now getting two error messages - and not just for this error with Nero.
    The first one says NMindexStoreSvr.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    The second one, the new one, says Program Error NMindex...has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nero 7 but the NMindex error messages still occur. I did not enable Nero Scout at installation.
    I solved the problem by following these instructions:
    Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib and rename NMIndexStoreSvr.exe to NMIndexStoreSvr.bak

Does anyone know if I still need to disable Nero Scout even though I never enabled it?
    Does anyone know what is going on with these two back to back error messages? Am I getting two different types of error messages because I reinstalled all my media players including Nero, because of a recent Windows Update I downloaded, or for some other reason that perhaps I can fix.

I sure would like to be sure that Nero 7 is fixed and how to get rid of this new error message I have never seen before.