1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony: "Protect/Unplug" - messing me up!

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by speekerz, Dec 9, 2005.

1. MrAngry

MrAngry Member

I've had this protect mode problem since purchasing my HK AVR335. It was a floor model. I tried disconnecting all speakers and it still shut itself off. An HK tech support person told me this would happen if no speakers were connected and my problem was most likely poor wire connections. Stupid question: Is it possible the tech misinformed me and I do, indeed, have a bad unit? or is it possible HK's are designed to shut off when no speakers are connected???

This problem has been very intermittent so I have tolerated it rather than returning it.

2. speekerz

speekerz Member

Hi all, I finally resolved my "protect mode" problem (after sending the unit in 2x to Sony, who kept telling me there was nothing wrong!) Evidently it was overheating, 2 small fans blowing from the back of my entertainment center have done the trick. It only took me 6 months to trouble shoot! (better late than never I guess)

3. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Hello All....wow, what a great thread! I appreciate all of the input from everyone.
    Good news! I have resolved my "Protect" problem as well...apparently my AVR 230 was over heating as well, so I removed the door to my entertainment console, and it has been running like a fine tuned watch since!!
    When we moved, I started having the problem, so I thought...'what has changed with my set up that could be causing the problem?'

TWO things: A professional wired my whole system (to the tune of $900)
    and I bought a new Cherry cabinet to house my components. There obviously wasn't enough airflow for the receiver in the cabinet.

I know what you're thinking.....Duhh!! I was just paranoid that the pro. that wired my system screwed it up.

Thanks again to you all for your input and willingness to help, this site is THE BEST!

Chris