1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCE - How many passes for excellent quality

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by bevster, Dec 22, 2005.

1. bevster

bevster Member

Hello, just wondering what everyone's opinion is for how many passes CCE should be set up for to get excellent quality.. I have it set up for 3 passes, which really does 2 passes on the main file from what I see. Just wondering if I do more than 3 passes if I am really wasting my time. Anyone do a comparison to see if more than 3 passes changed the quality much?
    Any advise is appreciated
    Thank you

2. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

You may never get a straight answer to this one!!! I have mine set as you do. I guess you are just going to have to experiment and see what "floats your boat." BTW, I experimented a little and decided to stick with 3...

3. bevster

bevster Member

seems to produce good quality on the 3 pass setting, I will leave it there for now. Thanks for the reply

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bevster

Set it for 3 passes and no more for backing up DVD's.

5. bevster

bevster Member

sounds good, I will keep it on 3 passes and enjoy! thanks guys

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hmmm, you guys know something I don't. The max number of passes I can set rb-pro/cce basic to is 2 passes. Actually it is already set by default and can not be changed. Can the number of passes be changed in the ini file?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Mort81

Pm me!

8. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

@Mort81

Did you get squared away regarding doing more than 2 passes?

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi teflonmyk,

Thanks, yeah all handled.

10. kaspar

kaspar Guest

i use cce7(pass). most of the places on the net for movie torrents use a 6 pass. the reason i use seven is because it is my lucky number.

i did bad boys superbit dvd on a cce3(pass) first. i just woke up and before i went to bed i did a cce7(pass). i will compare the two dvds later today and lat you know if i see any difference.

i am at school in ft. lauderdale at the art institute. i study media production.

11. hermes_vb

hermes_vb Regular member

WOW 7 passes!!!I messed around with 3 and 4, but settled for 3 since I couldn't notice the difference. Let us know how it goes with 7...

12. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

That in my view seems to be unnecessary, I think that you are unlikely to see much quality improvement over three passes.

The old rules still apply, garbage in garbage out.

In terms of DVD/MPEG encoding, always try to get the cleanest image possible.

I would suggest you try some kind of noise reduction before you encode, this will increase the encodes efficiency, otherwise having a video that is noisy means that the encoder has to work harder essentially encoding all the noise! and if the amount of the information over steps the allocated bandwidth then this will result in ugly macro blocking.

Hope that Helps

Anhar Hussain Miah

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  13. Trom

Trom Regular member

Having done my own personal testing I have Rebuilder set @ 4 passes. On longer movies(2hrs+) I think there is a very slight improvment over 3, IMO. However try as I might I have not been able to see any discernable difference using more than 4 passes, 7 imo it a bit overkill.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

The author of Rebuilder appears to think 3 or more is excessive and doesn't really lend anything to the movie quality. I do mine at 3 just to be on the safe side. Since each pass adds about an hour on my system, I won't go for more just to waste time. Even between 2 and 3 I can't see a discernible difference viewing the output on a 60 inch screen.

15. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

3 works for me .. .. .

16. UncasMS_3

UncasMS_3 Regular member

what does the author of rb have to do with this question?

i very much appreciate jerry's talents but still rb is rb and cce passes are cce passes

17. brobear

brobear Guest

I assumed the man developing the app would know how it works and the encoders it supports. I suspect there might be a minute change in each successive pass, but are you saying that each pass is going to show improvement to the human eye, even at magnifications on "big screens" and projector sets I haven't noticed it past 3. I don't care what my PC is doing while I'm not around and I can multi task even while rebuilder is running, so the number of passes on an encode really doesn't matter as far as usage goes. I've just not been using more passes because I'm not seeing the improvement. You can tell me what I'm suppposed to be looking for and I'll recheck.

18. UncasMS_3

UncasMS_3 Regular member

i did NOT in any way say that *more is better* like some fools always imply

i simply wonder why you (not for the first time) seem to need to backup certain statements with reference to other people

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Now, Now guys this is a debate without teeth. LOL

20. brobear

brobear Guest

UncasMS?
    No one even implied you did. But your statement/question was ambiguous. My question was to ask you what you meant by what you said.

The connection between the author of a piece of software and the apps it supports should be readily apparent.

Because you have an uncanny knack for posting in threads following something I say that is relevant to the thread. "Jerry's" talent was relevant to the discussion. Rebuilder uses CCE as a supported encoder. I give the man credit for knowing what he's doing. If he's good enough to write the program, he should be good enough to realize the number of passes of the supported encoders are useful. After all, the man has run this app through lengthy beta testing. So, I believe the advice of the software author of RB should hold some weight in the discussion. And I will continue to use the advice of respected people who have a knowledge of the subject when it is relevant. I also stated my findings on the topic as well.

Whether it's your manner or words, I sometimes feel I've got a sniper in the house when you're around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2006