1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD Question (DVR)

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by gadbearr, Jan 15, 2006.

1. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

I am thinking about getting the DVR from my cable company and wanted to know if the shows recorded on the DVR can be moved to a DVD recorder as a backup. Does anyone else think this can be done even though they do not say specially about recording to a DVD?

Here is the FAQ section I found on their website.

19. Can I transfer or send recorded programs from the DVR to a VCR or other recording device?
    Yes. Programs recorded on your DVR can be transferred to a Video Cassette Recorder (VCR) or other recording device by connecting it to the "Cable Out" connector or the "Out 1 TV" connector on the back of the DVR. See diagram.

2. tlaw

tlaw Member

yes, it can be done, I just helped a friend of mine transfer a program on this exact model DVR to a VHS tape. Just use the outouts on the back and input them into either a VCR or DVD recorder.

3. coastman

coastman Guest

Are you sure it can be copied to a DVD recorder? At SA's website, it says you can't. I have likewise done the VHS vcr, but when I copied to the DVD recorder, I got sound but no picture.

4. merman_93

merman_93 Member

I have this particular device from Comcast, and have been able to record to my (Computer) DVD recorder very easily.
    After the event has finished recording, select"MY DVR" from the remote control. A window will appear with several selections. You want "Copy to VCR". You will need to connect the 2nd audio and video connections to your DVD recorder, I use the "S-Video" and stereo audio. Prepare your DVD recorder as needed and select record, and immediately select "A" on the Cable Box remote for "Start Now". You will be able to watch another program while that is recording without interfering. If you press "Watch" program by mistake, nothing will be output on the Second set of Outputs. I mentioned this was my Computer DVD recorder, Pinnacle Studio 10, and I don't think using a stand alone DVD recorder would make any difference, as Studio blocks "Copy Protected" programs just like a stand alone. BTW, Individual Cable Companies restrict using the DVR feature on certain Programming. I cannot use the DVR to Record from the HBO On Demand Channel to record an entire past season of the Soprano's, nor the Monthly Howard Stern On Demand Channel, as the EPG doesn't list these events. I assume this would prevent any "Pay Per View" as they are not listed in the EPG either.

5. coastman

coastman Guest

Yes, I was able to do it directly to my standalone DVD recorder. Picture quality was not quite what I expected, but all in all a lot better than VHS. I will experiment a liitle more. Thanks.

6. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

I have an update. Yes, I am able to record from my DVR to my stand alone DVD Recorder. It works fine. The only thing is you have to record in "real time". You can't just copy the program like copying a file. The other kind of "pain" thing is if you are putting more than one show on a disc you have to manually do it. You can't have your DVR play all three shows in a row because the DVR prompts you with a question to save the show or erase it when it plays to the end of each show. If you are only going to put one hour long show per disc it is okay, but if you are going to put more than one on a disc, this can be a pain. Ah, the problems we have in our tender lives!! :D

7. punktilen

punktilen Member

how is the picture quality?

8. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

The picture quality is pretty good. The quality can only be as good as what the DVR recorded and with most shows that is pretty slick and clear. Depending on the setting you copy to your DVD recorder will determine what picture quality you have with the final product. I am pretty happy with the quality.

9. Scarr25

Scarr25 Guest

When you record from the 8300HD to a DVD can you use a digital interconnect or does it have to be analog?

Thanks, Steve

10. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

I have just regular audio/video cables going from my 8300HD to my DVD recorder.

11. merman_93

merman_93 Member

It is actually dependent on the cable provider. There are firewire connections but they must be activated by the service provider, and none of them provide it, so far. The analog method using the standard 5 cable connection is really quite good. BTW, the box will always power off between 1am and 2am, but will power back on for any scheduled recording. This is a drag for users who always leave the cable box on and just power off the tv. Every morning I must repower up the DVR also! This feature can also be accessed by the Cable provider but, Comcast refused stating that it extends the life of the unit, as it is always recording to a partition when active. Example; Battlestar Galactica comes on you go out during a commercial to get some CD's from the car but the neighbor stops and raps with you for 30 minutes. You didn't have to make any settings, the show is still recorded,..just hit rewind and start watching. Any time you change the channel everything is wiped out. I'd like to be able to trade off deactivating that feature, for leaving it powered up, but Comcast refused. Addition Jan/2007,...a recent Comcast update has finally resolved this issue. Instead of powering off the unit at 1:00 am the latest update allows the unit to remain powered up, but the hard drive itself powers down at 1:00 am, and a message appears indicating that any button press will activate the drive.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  12. Scarr25

Scarr25 Guest

Thanks, Comcast is my provider also.

Steve

13. nat77

nat77 Member

Has anyone had problems with the explorer 8300 HD erasing programs that it should not. In preference tab, I have gone to the save option for future recordings and selected "save until I delete". I did this from when I first got the box. Afterwards, I set up a "season pass". The options that they offer for that is how many episodes to save. I have selected that all episodes should be saved. Today when I was looking over my list I noticed that many of my programs were erased. For example, I had all the 24 saved from the beginning of February. The 1st 3 weeks of 24 were erased along with the 24 from last week (3/13). But the 24 from 3/20 and 3/6 are still there. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? I want Tivo back :-(

14. merman_93

merman_93 Member

I advise to occasionally verify the amount of free hard drive space, and record to DVD or computer often.

I have my DVR set up to record,"All episodes on All Channels" of the Showtime Series The Legacy. As the show is played on both Showtime Beyond East and West, and then each episode is also repeated during the week, I have 4 copies, but because of certain inconcistancies, some versions are "cut off" at the end credits. I verify the quality, and delete the extra 3 copies. I "Copy To VCR", actually my computer Hard Disc, when I have the time, then delete from the DVR.

Although I haven't had any episodes erased by the DVR on it's own, It is stated that the oldest episodes will be recorded over if there is not enough space available for a current recording. If you were recording "24" in High Def, you might have gotten close to the limit, but I don't know why it would have erased the episodes at the end of the list.

BTW, I have been experiencing sporadic results with Comcasts Timing, as I mentioned above. When selecting "One Episode, One Time" I can select an extra 5 minutes before, and an extra 5 minutes after, etc. But any of the Group selections don't seem to be effective. Example; When I select Doctor Who "all Episodes" and then select 5 min before, it appears to accept the selection, but when I check to verify later the start record time is listed as the exact time of the Program. The recording did not begin early. I have attempted to set this up again and again with the same results.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  15. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

Does anyone know if there is a way you can check the available disk space on your DVR? I can't seem to find any area of the setup or guide or information screens where it shows how much space is currently available. I believe my system holds 50 hours of programming. I could manually guess how much space is available by counting up all the shows I have recorded but it would be nice to see a screen that shows this automatically.

16. merman_93

merman_93 Member

From the Comcast/8300HD Remote, select "My DVR" then select "B" preferences. I graph will appear which shows available and used space on the hard drive, and the amount of programs currently saved.
    You can also preveiw a list of all programs that will be automatically recorded, or from the list of programs that are already recorded, you may select "info" for the Comcast guide information for that program, ...episode title, guest stars, etc.

17. nat77

nat77 Member

Hey merman, thanks for the comments. It turns out the DVR I had was defective. It was dropping random programs. Well, I got my 8300HD replaced and it is much better (unfortunately I lost all my other programs). Merman, I also had the same problems with trying to set the time parameters for the programs I recorded. When I would try to set my programs to tape 1 min later it would never stick. Well, with my new DVR that feature now works. Your box is probably defective. I hope this helps.

18. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

I do not have the button on my remote called "My DVR". I have my service through Brighthouse. Does anyone have the Brighthouse service and know how to check the DVR disk space?

19. iriol

iriol Member

is there a way to transfer the mpeg files from the SA 8300HD to my PC? I read the menu and it says the 1394 port is disables...how bout the USB port in the front?

20. merman_93

merman_93 Member

I believe that the USB port is primarily used to provide power to a "remote extender/transmitter/receiver" that SA sells as an option, and also for use with an SA keyboard,...other than that,..no it is not able to send out mpeg files to a USB hard drive or USB input of your computer.

The 1394 ports are disabled by your cable provider, when it is first connected to the network, and again when updates are transmitted. So far, Comcast will not enable them. I contacted Comcast recently, to request that the Serial/SATA port be enabled so that I could attach an additional 250 GB hard drive to increase storage space, a feature that was built in to the unit. After several calls and eventually formal e-mail requests,I was told that a technician would need to come out,..I agreed, then that I would have to rent the hard drive from them,...I hesitated,..but agreed, then I was informed that Comcast has not researched the implications fully at this time, but was concidering my request. Theoretically, if this port is activated, it would be possible to use it to transfer mpeg files, or at least the files stored on the external hard drive could be accessed by physically moving the full drive to your computer.