1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to HDMI possible?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by xalaros, Feb 28, 2006.

1. xalaros

xalaros Guest

Hey i have a laptop IBM T41 with ATI 9000 card on it and dna drivers installed.
    The problem is that although for my home pc i bought a dvi to hdmi cable and i can hook it up to my new HDTV, my laptop doesn't have
    a dvi output so i am stuck with the vga output.
    Can i convert from vga to HDMI directly? will it work if i buy VGA to DVI and then DVI to HDMI? also it seems like the dna drivers have an option for forcing 720p output for the card anybody tested that?

2. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Probably it won't work. Vga to dvi is possible, because there are two kinds of dvi signal (DVI-I, which has both analog and digital output, and DVI-A which has only the analog output.). So if you hook in the vga->dvi cable, the signal will analog on the dvi-end of the cable. Since hdmi is digital, it doesn't support analog signals.

But there are signal converters that can convert digital to analog rgb, but they cost like 300$ at least. So you'll need a hdmi to dvi -cable and a signal converter similar to this:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_ADC-converter.html

3. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

hdmi is useless if you convert it, its like taking a fiber connection and slamming it down into a telephone connection, vga just cannot handle the bandwidth, neither can dvi, thats why they made hdmi for high bandwidth applications, you convert to it and it is just a waste of money

4. cfuture

cfuture Guest

5. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

there is a convertor, but what I am saying is that it is a waste of money to use one, hdm = high definition media interface

vga = video graphics adapter

hdmi is for high def content ie high bandwidth

a vga connection cannot supply enough bandwidth, it will work but not like you want it to

6. cfuture

cfuture Guest

yes, it's a converter, Xalaros ask for a converter from vga to hdmi, and i just said that startech is more economic (US$ 175). About that it is a waste of money to use one, i use it for the pip function of my plasma tv (it work just with a signal from hdmi)

7. EGOvoruhk

EGOvoruhk Member

I hate to bump such an old topic, but that's not why they made HDMI. HDMI was made for DRM control

VGA is easily able to do what HDMI does. Heck, the monitor and VGA cable I'm using on my computer is capable of 2048x1536. That's well beyond 1080p's resolution

8. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Actually HDMI was made for digital A/V transfer (both in the same cable). DRM comes along with that. Yes, of course vga can deal with same resolutions as HDMI, but the signal is still analog. So it's for better quality (and DRM).

9. Largarto_

Largarto_ Guest

Like stereo bridged to mono, it works but, is it the same? No.

10. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Just to clarify here, because I have the same question, will HDMI accept the VGA signal and allow it to be displayed on the screen without converting to digital? My concern is not with bandwidth or picture quality, rather, I am trying to free-up a component input on my t.v./computer display. I have a free HDMI input, whereas, the VGA takes up a component input.

11. mach5

mach5 Member

Just because the signal is digital doesn't mean that it's better quality. Don't buy all the marking BS the hdmi people feed you. Read this article for a comparison between HDMI and component:
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm

Quote from article:
    "digital signals are encoded in different ways and have to be converted, and that these signals have to be scaled and processed to be displayed. Consequently, there are always conversions going on, and these conversions aren't always easy going. "Digital to digital" conversion is no more a guarantee of signal quality than "digital to analog," and in practice may be substantially worse."

12. plutonash

plutonash Regular member

Couldnt agree more mach5. I remember all the crap people were saying about component cables being inferior to HDMI in ever single way. All of it was BS. I I flat out dont by things that have HDMI or HDCP bc there was never a need for either and Im not supporting there half ass tech.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  13. ShadowHD

ShadowHD Member

Where can I find that VGA cable because DVI to HDMI cable I have makes my pc look like crap. When I revert back to VGA itlooks soo much better.

14. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

Would you consider going from VGA to a component connection? There are adapters for that, since both are analog it is not a big deal. Perhaps a component connection is not an option for you, I did not study the whole thread, but it is the best approach to connect VGA out to an HDTV.

15. ShadowHD

ShadowHD Member

I guess I'll try that next. I'm giving up tinkering on this. So I look for VGA to RGB or DVI to RGB? Also, should I look into DVI-D to RGB? Thank you.

16. ShadowHD

ShadowHD Member

Also, when you say component, I guess thats RGB correct? Sorry for all the questions. Not very educated in any of this. I'm just trying to get the best possible picture from my PC to HDTV. And DVI to HDMI just doesnt cut it. When I have VGA to VGA from PC to TV it looks pretty damn good. With a high resolution. Maybe I should just stay? I do notice when I'm on the DVI/HDMI setup I get a brighter look. Not so on the VGA even though it looks cleaner. Basically just trying to find the best bridge to connect the two...again thank you.

17. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

Yes, by 'component' I was referring to 'RGB'. If you are already going VGA out from your video card to VGA into your HDTV, then that is probably your best option. All that the VGA to RGB adapter does is change the connector style. Since your laptop does not have the DVI output, there is really nothing to be gained trying to convert its VGA to HDMI.

Cheers

18. ShadowHD

ShadowHD Member

I do have DVI though.....

19. JIMMYDMAN

JIMMYDMAN Member

I connected my projector to my dvd player. I am using a SVGA to component cable hook up right now. My Dvd player is an upconverting dvd player and has a HDMI hook up. When I had the DVD player hooked up to my older HDTV I had a choice of what i wanted the conversion to be. 480 , 720 and 1080.

But now, I only have 480i and 480p to choose from through my projector which is a 1024x768 XGA resolution.

Do i need to hook it up with HDMI to get these options back or am i stuck with the component cables ( which are kinda on the cheap side )

Any suggestions would be great
    Thanks

20. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

Well, I don't think that the component cables themselves are the problem. I suspect that your DVD player only upconverts over the HDMI output, and that your projector does not have a digital (HDMI or DVI) input. If that is the case, then your options are limited. You could try to find an HDMI to Component (or SVGA) conversion box, but it is likely to be expensive since that is a digital to analog conversion.