1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Macrovision

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Skitzy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove macrovision... i dont care about voiding my warranty... or is there a way around it?

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

First: what kind of machine do you have

3. Amigatu

Amigatu Guest

Hi, I have a Sony RDR-GX315 DVD Recorder and also would like to know how to remove this Macrovison. I have been trying to record movies on TV and a notice comes up that I can not copy this movie? What is up with that? I never had a problem before. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Amigatu

4. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Mine is a Emerson EWR10D5 (standalone) i also have a few pc based writers but im having no trouble from them, just the standalone recorder. It will record most anything but i have ran across two movies that will record onto the rw's that i use for the standalone but they will not transfer. in otherwords my pc dont recognize the disc and the only thing i can figure is macrovision, because ive had no trouble with the other 50 movies ive transfered.

5. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

OK ... i see the ad there about video stabilizer and im wondering, i can see such a gadget working for the cable input, but what about a feed from another dvd player? lets say i hook up my dvd player to the video stabilizer, and hook those two up to the dvd recorder...i could then copy movies without the pc all together right? the only downfall to that is speed (burning at 1x) as opposed to the 8x i preffer to use on the pc. i think i would still use the pc for my home collection and just use the stabilizer for cable recordings... has anyone tried the stabilizer yet? my cable company has started macrofucking all the movies they play... really sucks

6. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

i always find the shit that nobody can answer..... that sucks

7. jwilkers

jwilkers Member

You can buy a box for about $35 that removes Macrovision. At the least, it'll allow your recorder to work without giving you the copy protection warning and shutting off.

http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer.html Is where I got mine.

8. B2D327

B2D327 Regular member

A company called SIMA makes a few devices that remove the copy protection from incoming signals.

9. th49

th49 Member

Curcuit City and Best Buy sell the Sima brand i've been thinking about getting one

10. Tekkie

Tekkie Member

Sounds to me like you need to finalize your dvd after you record it.
    Movies from tv are not generally encoded with macrovision. Macrovision is used on a pressed dvd to create a video that so flaggy if copied,you can't watch it . Macrovision can be removed using programs like "Slysoft's AnyDVD". DRPM is a digital rights copy management used for tv movies which include "DO NOT COPY" and "COPY ONCE" etc. This management is built into the recorder and you cannot get rid of it. Even so your recorded disk should be recognised by your computer if you have finalized your disc after recording. I was playing around with a tv program I downloaded and tried to play it on my PC using WINDVD6. I got a message that the disc was view once so I copied the VIDEO_TS folder to my computer and re-burned it to the same DVD-RW disc and it is now playable. I also have the same DVD recorder that you have. Any DVD that is recorded will play on the recorder without finalizing it, but if you want to view it on another platform such as another DVD player or your pc you have to finalize it first. There is also a setting in setup where you can set it up to auto finalize it after timed record or disk full. This recorder is made by Funai and is one of the best I have seen. Record in Video mode not VR mode if you want to edit your disk on your computer

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  11. B2D327

B2D327 Regular member

a few of the premium cable channels encode their programming with copy protection. I've gotten this message with my standalone dvd recorder when attempting to record some shows until I got the SIMA device.

12. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

yes i am very familiar with anydvd, dvd decryptor, and dvd shrink and i use them quite frequently... and yes i am also very familiar with finalizing my disc... lol... thats not it at all... some of the premium channels are encrypted.... but not all the time... because most of the movies i record from starz, hbo, cinemax, showtime, encore, and flix will duplicate, but not all. periodically i find one that will not... i appreciate all the feedback guys and yes im definetly going to go aftermarket on this... i see it being the only fix... i think most of my problem with transfering them back to my pc is that i let anydvd's free trial expire (money was tight) so im gonna purchase anydvd tomarrow and ill let you guys know if it worked... im sure it will....

13. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

in case anybody is wondering.... i only use rw's with my standalone... and i use my pc to transfer them to regular disc... so thats why i choose anydvd... instead of the gadget... although i would like to have the gadget.... for future recordings... but for whatever reason unknown the copy protected material i get from the television will record onto the rw... and playback fine, the only problem is the computer doesnt recognize the disc... when i did have anydvd i never had this problem.... so like i said ill get back to you guys on the subject after i deposit my money and make the purchase...

14. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Works like a charm! i kept the movies that wouldnt transfer and shure enough they did after getting AnyDVD i still think its odd the movies recorded to the rw's but the pc wouldnt recognize them till after purchasing AnyDVD, but they transfered fine... so yes it was copy protected and in case your wondering i recorded the material from starz... thank you slysoft... you get my unofficial program of the year award

15. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

oops.... i meant sure* enough (i cant spell today)

16. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

oh yeah.... before i forget... thank you afterdawn for giving me the discount...

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Skitzy

AnyDVD will be the best money you ever spend. Almost all problems go away with AnyDVD

18. Amigatu

Amigatu Guest

Could someone please tell me the exact name of that SIMA product? I looked for it and saw several. I do not know which one to buy. Thanks for your help.
    Amigatu

19. th49

th49 Member

The CT200 is the newest one i got a CT100 a couple days ago to copy my VHS collection to DVD and it is working great so far. but i have no interest in copying DVDs with it so i have not tried it yet but i have heard it works as avertized.

20. pkoontz

pkoontz Member

th49:

What recorder do you have? Upon researching, I understand the Sima CT200 does not work on some recorders. I am still researching which recorder would be best for me. Any and all help is appreciated. I am a great-granny and need to not only transfer many of my homemade movies over to DVD but also would like to backup my purchased VHS collection.

Circuit City has them for $99.00 after rebates, seems a little pricy to me.

TIA