1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what type cdr media should i use with burning audio cds ??

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by eek, May 17, 2002.

1. eek

eek Guest

can anyone help .. ?
    what type of cdr media should i use when burning audio cds ??? thanks

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Normal CD-R discs, but prefer high quality labels. Browse the other threads for tips.

3. jolo

jolo Member

I hate to disagree, but this is purely from pesonal experience, not research or anything scienctific.

I've found that the newer, CD writers playing any ANY blank CDs do not have problems. I myself would never over pay for a "name brand". I have used Fuji, Office Depot "brandless", Verbatin DataLifePlus or whatever is least expensive and have found no difference.

I have heard dome arguments about some companies being better for reasons of "quality" or something in the chemicals, but I have never seen evidence of the bottom line which is reliability ir life. I myself cannot understand anyone paying more than .50 per blank CD-R.

I could be wrong, but this is from my experience and from experience of others that I personally know.

I'm certainly open on this.

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Jolo,

There still exits bad media.Imation media (CMC Magnetics) is an example of low quality even nowadays.Verbatim DataLife Plus should be very high quality and I think that very likely your Fujis are ok too. Dont know about office depot. Also some CD-R writers are better than others.

But the main point for using quality media is the fact that many audio players are less than perfect. Portable players, car jukeboxes, older home players...some of these may require high quality media for good results.

5. jolo

jolo Member

Thanks for yur comment !!

I tend to thing the the blank CDs that are made for, and have a Office Depot or CompUsa label, etc will tend to be good quality clones of a top brand.

I totally agree with you many audio players are less than perfect. IMHO the newer better quality CD players and burners appear to be less sensitive to brands or types of CDs than when I first used CDs.

Therefore IMHO I feel it is more mportant to take the time to check out the Cd reader and or writer rather than the media.

Sending CDs out for distribution might call for other thoughts, but it seems to be the music companies, etc use cheaper, lower quality media, but probably very expensive euipment to burn. Don't know this, but a thought.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jon

6. fantasy

fantasy Guest

I also hear (not proof) that silver layer discs are better in audio -- they say it can "reflect" teh laser better, and they say this is why most company made cds are look silver, even other disc s may be cheaper than them.

From my pass experience, I have burnt some pioneer audio discs. They work okay at first, but then the track jumps and something white sticks on the bottom layer. It's terrible and I don't know if it is related to my cd player. (data discs do not have this problem)

Moreover, are there any cd-rws that can be played in cd players? I have tried "LGs" but it don't work.

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Jolo,

Since the price differences in between different medias are fairly low, I think it's very wise to use quality media. This could/should result to better longevity too. And how do you know all the players you're going to use disc with - take it to your friend, party, etc.?

This forum is a good place to find suggestions for good media manufacturers and then you can seek the best offers in local stores. For example old 8x Taiyo Yuden made Sonys are available in finnish City Markets for a very nice 5.90EUR/10pcs price.

Fantasy,

I personally don't thinks that the dye color of the CD is that significant. Gold/silver phtacaloine discs should have longer lifespan than cyanine disc (bluish). Discs with good and bad playback performace can be found in both genres.

In order to play CD-RWs you need a CD-RW compatible player. On some cases lowering the write speed may help if your player is "on the edge".

8. andavari

andavari Member

Well I've had a so-so experience with unbrand CD-R's. For instance the unbrand ones that come from Quill (an online office store) typically have 10% of the batch that fails with a buffer underrun, or failure to close the disc using any cd writing software including Nero. When I use quality brand name CD-R's I rarely if ever have any problems.

9. jolo

jolo Member

cd-rw.org,

Your point is excellent. Also, with branded and unbranded or "store brands" unless researched you can't tell whjo made it.

Also, I realize that when I have purchased CDs in the past, usually in spindles of 100 or 50, whatever is on sale, they are usually "store brands" or named brands which are considered good quality by many on this forum.

I did take your last point to heart, in looking for 40X CDs locally, I found the pricing too expensive and 40x was sold in small lots.
    So I looked online amd purchase 100 Taiyo Yuden Silver Lacquer 700MB CDR Media , 80 Min. on Spindle, 40X for $30.00. The price difference between the Taiyo Yuden and a less valued brand was .01 per CD.

Jon

In

10. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

They say pthalocyanine CDRs last 100 years, gold pthalocyanine 200 years, and cyanine 20 years.

But so far we've found both Cyanine/Pthalocyanine (and maybe Formazan, if Kodak coloured CDRs were made of it), gold and silver CDRs dead after 5 years.

So I wouldn't rely on any of those characteristics for longevity.

11. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member