1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If The site Has A Problem Please Post Here,

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by ireland, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ketola, i agree with garmoon as problem has been going on for 2 weeks plus.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

dont know how hard it would be to put some sort of message at the home page 1st page of AD stateing there is a problem and posters should wait about 10 seconds before hitting the post reply button and that would avoid the double posting. iv noticed tonight it has been real bad, but knowing of the problem ive been waiting a few(10)seconds and the post go through like normal...just a thought

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If some of the problems are caused by threads with excessive post counts, is there any way to for example to cut off the oldest 1000 posts and store them somewhere that can be accessed if necessary but they won't load with the regular thread. Then post a statement saying something like only the last 1000 posts are listed. I personally don't see why anyone would go back that far to read old posts unless important info or guides were listed that were necessary. I don't know much about running a forum but if thats where the problem comes from then you need to cut off some of the oldest posts at some point.

Jerry

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

good point there Jerry was kinda hinting to something like that myself just didnt really know how to word it..lol not a fast thinker/talker to say what im wanting to say..lol

once a thread gets over say 700+post put those 700 post in a archive, adn people can go look at it if they want.
    besides is there really alot of threads with that many post? i know the docTY thread has like 2500 or sothe old timers and paint the kettle black thread have bout the same ifnot more. i dont think the console threads are up to those kinda numbers yet.... just another thought..

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

IMHO, the older console boards should be archived and closed for further posting.

Sounds like a plan, lol x)

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Thats exactly what I had in mind. In my opinion, I don't see any reason for more than about the last 500 posts to show, if even that many. How often does anyone actually go back and read all those old pages. Maybe in some rare case you would need to go back looking for something but not too often.

Jerry

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@jerry746

Sage advice-I'm with you cause I'm pi$$ed they closed the bitch thread. Having only the last 500 posts would work and the prior posts archived and still accessible if needed.

That's part of the slow problem here but I am slowed down in threads with only several pages. It's always taken me longest to load the bitch thread.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

So instead of...
    Code:
    [url]http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/22/316808#3265862[/url]
    We could have..

Code:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/archive/22/316808#3265862
    (Great excuse to use the 'code' tags)

Garmoon, see my reply in old timer's thread.

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@ripper

Nothing's coming up in the old timers thread. I posted something and it has not appeared after several minutes. I sent u a pm.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've had problems for the longest time, whenever i check 'my account subscriptions' ie http://www.afterdawn.com/users/list_subscriptions.cfm , it kills the CPU on whichever PC i'm on, due to being subscribed to 20,000+ threads, that certainly exercises my CPU's, i can imagine how hard AD's servers are working with the various functions, never mind just mine :)

i guess i shouldn't subscribe to half of AD :p

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  12. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Hmm.. I think it might be a good idea splitting up the list in several pages.. =)

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Starting the new bitch thread helped it. But TY thread, old timers thread-still slow as molasses in January.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i think it would be a good idea to refresh most to all the old longer threads

15. Ketola

I've changed the list_subscriptions page so that it's split in 100 posts per page. In your case that means 200+ pages, but at least it won't crash the browser anymore. ;-)

Please let me know how it works for you.

At least at the time being that might be the best and quickest way of solving the problem.

Definitely. With over three million messages in the forums (combined) archiving older messages is inevitable. Deciding what to archive and how is another matter, but even archiving threads that haven't been active for a year would probably help a great deal, and hardly anyone would even notice the change.

Thanks to everyone who has suggested how the large threads / old messages should be tackled with. I take it that it would be preferable keeping the threads with thousands of messages intact, and just archiving older messages from those threads? An alternative to that could be automatically splitting a thread after, say, every 500 messages (20 pages) and cross linking between the old and the new thread (i.e. having an automatic message as the last post of the old thread explaining that the discussion is continued in a new thread, and vice versa).

16. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ketola, the subscription split is working just fine for me. Good job.

RE archiving of older threads/posts, I prefer this idea..

17. creaky

Cheers boss, excellent work, now the list loads instantly, and obviously i only regularly need the first few pages anyway (i mostly use the subscriptions page at work to see what's new as work blocks home email addresses). I shall be using the subscription page more often now, thanks a lot..

..in some immortal lyrics of AC/DC.. .."For those about to subscribe, all my slower CPU's salute you" :)

edit- have closed the old Doc TY thread and created a new one in it's place..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  18. Ripper

Ripper Active member

lol! Very good ;-)

Btw, hi creaky :)

19. creaky

hey Ripper. Was just letting my humour out for a brief walk :)

20. Ketola

If I understood the problem correctly, it should be fixed now. Fresh threads are now always fetched from the master server, so they should be up to date at all times.

Threads _can_ on some occasions be out of date for users not logged in. But that really shouldn't happen either anymore. If it does, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know via this thread.