1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i know if my graphics card is HDCP capable?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mikej3131, Mar 17, 2006.

1. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Hello,

I just got a new graphics card recently and am now purchasing a HDTV lcd flat panel tv. My question is how do i know if my graphics card can handle it. my comp has a dvi output and my tv has a dvi input but is it going to be able to display the full 1080p resolution that this tv's native resolution is? also how do i tell if my dvi is HDCP capable?

Here is a link to a graphics card and under the dvi product spec, it says the dvi has a HDTV encoder, and also twin vew architecture and video capture, what are those things?

http://geek.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=9516411

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  2. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

I just looked in wikipedia and found out there are four types of dvi's
    dvi-i(digital and analog).
    dvi-d(digital only).
    dvi-a(analog only)
    dvi-dl(dual link, This connector includes provision for a second data link for high resolution displays, though many devices do not implement this.)

Now does my graphics card have to have dvi-dl for my tv to display 1080p?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I believe you will need DL to use DVI at high resolutions, and you'll also need it to get past HDCP. Afaik the GPU doesn't matter with HDCP it's the monitor. and your current monitor won't be compatible with HDCP because as of yet I don't think any are. Have a look around for one. The only screens that support HDCP will be later "HD ready" TVs.

4. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

5. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

hey sam, i was talking about a tv not a monitor. im gonna hook up my tv through the dvi port on my pc. so my desktop will be on my tv. And the the tv that i am getting wil be hdcp compliant.

Aniother thong i wanna know if just that if my graphics cad is gonna be capable of displaying on a 50" lcd HDtv

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  6. AE27

AE27 Regular member

As of right now there is no compliant HDCP videos cards, only compatible. I know Saphire is going to release cards soon that have HDMI outputs, but thats not saying if they will be compliant or not.
    As for HDCP compliant monitors, Gateway has one.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Generally most people will have to get circumvention for this copy protection, I don't see why you don't become one of them lol.